• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

long range 223

m249

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
new york
what kind of load would be recommended or where should you start if you wanted to start shooting long range with a 223 im running a rem 700 xcr long range tactical with a bell and carlson stock and leupold scope. does anyone know how acurate it would be to push it out to 600yds or more? or would it just be a waste of ammo id like to try it but not sure how feasable it is thanks guys

Re: long range 223

The 69's will shoot to 600 quite well if it's not too windy. If you want to push beyond that you'll be better off with a 7-twist and 80-grainers to the lands, which in my opinion is the only way to build a .223 bolt gun for long range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 69's will shoot to 600 quite well if it's not too windy. If you want to push beyond that you'll be better off with a 7-twist and 80-grainers to the lands, which in my opinion is the only way to build a .223 bolt gun for long range. </div></div>

hahahahaha!!! We meet again!!!!

This is true, a well built .223 will reach 1k just fine. For that purpose, I built a 20 inch 7.7 twist .223 to shoot 75 Amax's. The load I use is 24.5 grains of RL-15 seated just off the lands with Winchester brass. If you care to read my build thread (in my sig line) you can read about the particulars and how it shoots.

According to Derrick Martin's testing, done in the mid 90's, 24.5 RE15 with an 80 grain SMK should shoot well with almost any brass in almost every gun. It shoots even better with an 80JLK touching the lands. I like 24.0 H4895 with the 80JLK for 2840fps out of my 22" bbl. Nothing beats 80JLK's for a 1000-yard .223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats your barrel length Graham?</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like 24.0 H4895 with the 80JLK for 2840fps out of my 22" bbl. </div></div>And the 90's suck. They suck so bad in a .223 case that you need a 6.5 twist, and, predictably, then they really suck.

whoops
blush.gif
I missed that. sorry.

i have his supplies (my bro)

so ill tell you he is starting with hogdon 335, v-max 55 grain, cci primer, and remington brass. his rifle shoots sub moa with factory, so im sure we can get it there with the right loads.

what twist is your rifle again bro?

I love the .223 and shoot mine all the time for practice. The 1-9 will sometimes run the 75 A-max. If not I had great luck with both the Hornady 75bthp and 68bthp out of an LTR using Varget.

Good Luck,

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

Take a look at the Berger 70gr VLD's if your rifle won't shoot the 75's. They buck the wind a bit better than the 69gr Sierra's.

If that does not work, you may need to rebarrel with a faster twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats your barrel length Graham?</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like 24.0 H4895 with the 80JLK for 2840fps out of my 22" bbl. </div></div>And the 90's suck. They suck so bad in a .223 case that you need a 6.5 twist, and, predictably, then they really suck. </div></div>

I was lucky enough to get some data from Jerry Tierney a while back on the use of the 90gr Berger VLD in the .223. You need to drive it over 2800fps MV to get it to stablise and to be honest, his and my (and others here) experience is that it will stablise in a 7.7" barrel, just so long as 2800+ is achieved. Oddly enough, the 7 and 6.5 twist produce some pretty marginal results. Mr Tierney's results were best in the 7.7" range. We're generally getting an average of between 0.35 and 0.45moa from the 90 Berger VLD in 5rd groups.

Down here, we shoot .223s in square range F/TR comp and our range is at sea level. We find that with the good 80gr projectiles, everything is ok out to 900yds (900yd marginal in colder weather) but at 1000, it's a crapshoot - margin of error grows exponentially - and this from guns with 30" barrels, properly set up to shoot the 223 over long distance and shooters who generally know their business.

YMMV

this is going to be a setup for long range woodchucks and the occasional deer and targets so what ever i use has to be good enough to drop critters

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is going to be a setup for long range woodchucks and the occasional deer and targets so what ever i use has to be good enough to drop critters</div></div>

Not sure I would recommend the .223 for deer, especially at longer ranges. Then again, that's a whole other debate...

With a 1/9 twist, you are going to be limited to 75/77gr bullets. Of course, there is no guarantee they will be stable, but you should be OK with the longer barrel. My 24" Savage 10FP shot 75gr Hornady's without any trouble, but that's at 2900+ fps. I've seen a couple 16" 1/9 AR's that didn't do as well, so you really need to shoot them to see. The 75/77gr bullets do very well out to 600 yards, and can get you to 1k in ideal conditions. I don't have any experience with them at 1k, but I'm sure some of the others do.

ill keep this all in mind im just looking for a good place to start andthis will all be taken into considration thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 69's will shoot to 600 quite well if it's not too windy. If you want to push beyond that you'll be better off with a 7-twist and 80-grainers to the lands, which in my opinion is the only way to build a .223 bolt gun for long range. </div></div>

hahahahaha!!! We meet again!!!!

This is true, a well built .223 will reach 1k just fine. For that purpose, I built a 20 inch 7.7 twist .223 to shoot 75 Amax's. The load I use is 24.5 grains of RL-15 seated just off the lands with Winchester brass. If you care to read my build thread (in my sig line) you can read about the particulars and how it shoots. </div></div>
You both know the meeting isn't complete with out me!
smile.gif

On topic. I shoot the 68 and 75 grain Hornady Match bullets quite well out of my .223.

Read this too. http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">coldboremiracle your .223's are both amazing! </div></div>

Thankyou sir
wink.gif

Tacshooter223, your a bit late to this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Tacshooter223, your a bit late to this one. </div></div>

Better late then never right?