• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Long range hunting scope recommendations.

ajridgedell

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2012
US
  • What is the platform for the scope? Bolt action heavy barrel
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .243win
  • What is your intended use for the scope? 200 to 1000 yards hunting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? typical hunting scenario, low light
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 200 to 1000
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, locking or capped windage, 24 to 30 high end magnification, MIL-MIL, 30 or 34 tube, 50 or 56 objective, not way too heavy, top quality glass/ low light transmission.
  • What is the price range you can afford? 1000 to 3000
So many new models, brands, and such I really don't know what fits my criteria. I'm considering the vortex AMG but I'm interested to see what else is out there that is known for top tier glass quality and targeted towards long range hunting/ crossover.

Ive been eyeing out the new TT long range hunter model. Or might pick up a zco 4-20. Even though the TT is only 15 max power. Idt it will be an issue hunting, esp with the quality of glass in it. Having that lower end and higher fov would be a bigger advantage imo.

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
I second the TT. I have the M model with the Gen2 reticle and it performs just fine on low power, just use it like a basic duplex. I have never had the turrets spin when carrying on my pack or shoulder. I am sure the hunter model will be awesome just not sure of the extremely thick reticle at longer distances.

I like the S&B 5-20 Ultra Short H59.
No need for illumination in my experience and the short tube complicated mounting around the illumination turret.

Reactions: Bcera
Ive been eyeing out the new TT long range hunter model. Or might pick up a zco 4-20. Even though the TT is only 15 max power. Idt it will be an issue hunting, esp with the quality of glass in it. Having that lower end and higher fov would be a bigger advantage imo.
are both turrets capped?

I read some positive reviews of the Leupold mark 5 earlier, it seems like it may work. Any personal experience?

Reactions: SigeliteSPR
If anyone is looking for a Tangent Theta 315M with the Gen II Mil-Dot for a high end lightweight hunting scope, hit us up :)

I read some positive reviews of the Leupold mark 5 earlier, it seems like it may work. Any personal experience?
YUP! Love mine. Awesome scope. It does extremely well in low/bad light and glare. Plus its lightweight and the dials are repeatable and accurate. All in all, the ideal hunting scope IMHO.

My top choices for hunting scopes right now are the March 3-24 and Nightforce NX8 4-32. Since you want capped windage, that leaves the Nightforce, since the Marcn turrets are not capped.

I’d consider the Leica magnus 2.4-16x56 if you can find it on sale.

I’d also consider the kahles 6-24x56. Both the kahles and Leica have class leading FOV and eye box. In addition, both do excellent in low light.

Hard to beat the MK5 for weight with all the features like capped windage, usable reticle at all magnification with FFP, locking elevation at zero, great illumination, elevation travel all at 26oz. The small objective lefts you get comfortable on lightweight hunting stocks.

You can do the March for about 1k more, but the mill reticle And illumination is not as good as the MK5.

Scopes like the TT like 3800 and the ZCO is heavy and also bit outside your price range.

I have 2 MK5s on my hunting guns. The magnum without the adjustable comb is in a Manners Elite Carbon that came in at 26oz and with the Proof and MK5 make a very light long range package
93A447E2-0214-425C-920D-8D8C74056264.jpeg

the one below is also in a Manners Elite Carbon and proof but the adjustable comb adds a bit of weight.
5C38FF93-2E0A-4BF6-A384-C938E2AE8366.jpeg

While my ZCO or a TT is slightly better glass it isn’t going to make a rats ass difference in the hunt.

Last edited:
I have a MK5 3.6-18 and an AMG. They are both nice. Not as nice as the TT 315 M or H, but half the price. My MK5 has the H59 reticle, and honestly, if I were going to buy that one again for a hunting rifle, I would get the illuminated TMR. I really like the floating dot aiming point and having illumination might be useful at some point in a hunting situation.

The AMG is also really nice. Locking turrets, Illuminated reticle, very nice glass, and reasonable weight. I like the reticle in the AMG a bit more, and between the two, I would probably pick the AMG if I could only keep one.

Reactions: jafo96
  • What is the platform for the scope? Bolt action heavy barrel
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .243win
  • What is your intended use for the scope? 200 to 1000 yards hunting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? typical hunting scenario, low light
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 200 to 1000
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, locking or capped windage, 24 to 30 high end magnification, MIL-MIL, 30 or 34 tube, 50 or 56 objective, not way too heavy, top quality glass/ low light transmission.
  • What is the price range you can afford? 1000 to 3000
So many new models, brands, and such I really don't know what fits my criteria. I'm considering the vortex AMG but I'm interested to see what else is out there that is known for top tier glass quality and targeted towards long range hunting/ crossover.

Some happy folks with the Brownells 5-25x56 (Japanese made) at the low end of that price range ($900-$1000), but if you can go to 3K, you can get a better scope in some respects. Don't think it will get any brighter (the JOL plant where they are made claims 97%...don't know if true, but they are bright), but might be better edge-to-edge clarity and build perhaps. Quality control on a 3K piece should be better.

At the upper end, maybe the Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56? Don't know if it's three times as good, but it is three times the cost.

Something in the middle like the Primary Arms 6-30x56 perhaps.

At up to 3K, you have a lot of choices. If I were spending that amount, I think I'd take the time to look through the scopes you are considering and see which ones you like.

The market is hurting for that perfect all around scope. IDK why nobody has picked up the torch. 3-15, ffp, good ret, 30 mil tube, 25 mil travel. Vortex pst 2 is close but I'm wary of it. Like the swfa but a bit antiquated. Athlon area btr has windage that spins with a mosquito fart. All the high end stuff is 34mm tube and too heavy. TT is retarded expensive. The bushnell 3-12 is pretty good but not quite there. It's not rocket surgery. Give the people what they want! I guess it's not commercially smart to make a relatively simple and99% perfect scope if you never sell another one.

The market is hurting for that perfect all around scope. IDK why nobody has picked up the torch. 3-15, ffp, good ret, 30 mil tube, 25 mil travel. Vortex pst 2 is close but I'm wary of it. Like the swfa but a bit antiquated. Athlon area btr has windage that spins with a mosquito fart. All the high end stuff is 34mm tube and too heavy. TT is retarded expensive. The bushnell 3-12 is pretty good but not quite there. It's not rocket surgery. Give the people what they want! I guess it's not commercially smart to make a relatively simple and99% perfect scope if you never sell another one.
torch picked up by zco 420. it is a little heavy. but in my opinion its the perfect all around scope. usable 4x magnification. usable 20x. find a flaw. good luck.

Hard to beat the MK5 for weight with all the features like capped windage, usable reticle at all magnification with FFP, locking elevation at zero, great illumination, elevation travel all at 26oz. The small objective lefts you get comfortable on lightweight hunting stocks.

You can do the March for about 1k more, but the mill reticle And illumination is not as good as the MK5.

Scopes like the TT are heavy and a bit outside your price range.

I have 2 MK5s on my hunting guns. The magnum without the adjustable comb is in a Manners Elite Carbon that came in at 26oz and with the Proof and MK5 make a very light long range package
View attachment 7408135

the one below is also in a Manners Elite Carbon and proof but the adjustable comb adds a bit of weight.
View attachment 7408136

While my ZCO or a TT is slightly better glass it isn’t going to make a rats ass difference in the hunt.

The TT315LRH is 27.9 ounces with the tenebrex flip caps. Guess that extra 2 ounces makes it heavy.

I dont think the TT is retardedly expensive. Yes its not in everyones price range. But its an optic id be willing to invest in when it comes to hunting. Itll be one less thing i have to worry about failing me. When hiking for miles, i want to know my equipment will be rock solid and i didnt just waste 12+ hours of hiking in 90 degree weather to have a scope fail or not dial correctly or not have enough low light capability to make an ethical shot.

torch picked up by zco 420. it is a little heavy. but in my opinion its the perfect all around scope. usable 4x magnification. usable 20x. find a flaw. good luck.

If he doesn’t want a 34mm tube then I’m pretty sure a 36mm tube is definitely off the table. At 35+ oz the flaw isn’t very hard to find.

In regards to zero compromise and TT:
I havn't used a scope that doesn't have the parallax labeled in yards/ meters, but it doesn't seem like I would like it. Usually if I'm taking a 300 yard shot I turn my knob to 300 and that's usually close enough in my opinion. Maybe I would learn where on that line that gets bigger, 300 is, but it seems like a bit of a "compromise" to me ha ha.

The TT315LRH is 27.9 ounces with the tenebrex flip caps. Guess that extra 2 ounces makes it heavy.
Ya, my sentence was a mess. I was meaning to reference both the ZCO (my personal favorite scope for PR) and the TT - (love the glass) - side note: its the total package I liked better in the ZCO, but also really loved my time on the TT. I edited the post to be more clear. Thanks for the catch

Having or currently owning most the top end class discuses on the hide. ZCO, Kahles, Minox, S&B, USO, AMG etc and using a TT (not mine), I can honestly say the MK5 is not offering a total glass package that will leave you wanting. The real glassing is done on big Swaro.

Personally, for me I ended up with the MK5s as the crosses all the boxes -except FOV is skimpy compared to the TT And for two scopes I was able to walk out for about the price of one TT. That said, if I had limitless funds I’d probably swing for several TTs.

Reactions: Aescobar17
In regards to zero compromise and TT:
I havn't used a scope that doesn't have the parallax labeled in yards/ meters, but it doesn't seem like I would like it. Usually if I'm taking a 300 yard shot I turn my knob to 300 and that's usually close enough in my opinion. Maybe I would learn where on that line that gets bigger, 300 is, but it seems like a bit of a "compromise" to me ha ha.

The ZCO does have it labeled in meters:
ZC420_px_illumin_turret.jpg

Reactions: NateSavannah
The TT does not have distance labeled on the parallax but it has really never been an issue, this scope is easy to dial in from 50 to 300, very forgiving, then you really don't touch it after that.
I had the MK5 as well, for the money it was a good scope but just really left me wanting, the CA bugged me the glass was just ok, and the FOV was pretty skimpy. I also had one of the early ZCO units, very solid and checks all the box's but still just liked the weight, turrets and the glass better on the TT. After you have owned Alpha glass its really hard to go backwards and the MK5 is certainly a big step back from ZCO or TT. For an alpha hunting scope TT is top in my book.

Reactions: NateSavannah
^ shit we dropped a Bull at 912y with a single shot with the same gun in my earlier post and several in the 600-700y range last year; I had a PST on it at the time.

Just like looking through my Swaro ATX 85 vrs the 95 or my 65 for packing, it is really really hard to tell the actual difference if not going back and forth over and over at the same time. Heck, the Razor HD 65 looked brighter than a Swaro 65 AT”S” I had - again splitting hairs. Same is true for my Swaro Binos vrs my Mavens - although I have to say, I like the way the image appears fuller kinda like the ZCO, (even though the glass is not better) in the Mavens over my Swaros.

We all hear the same “I need the very best glass because I am hunting” glass argument for hunters using Swaro, Ziess or whatever, only to find out that their on a duplex or BCD reticle often with non-external turrets.

The only point I’m trying to make for people who do not own the top 2 scopes like TT or ZCO, is that your going to get the job done, with a good tracking scope with feature sets you need even if the glass is 2% (or whatever) less.

If you can aford the very best and afford to shoot the barrels off your hunting gun getting good with it, get the best. But don’t skimp on practice or anything else like the tripod; the tiny improvements in glass at this level is NOT going to make or brake the shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jafo96
Comparing the TT to a nightforce NX8, it seems the only thing the TT does better is maybe glass quality? So I have never looked through a tt or zero compromise but I easily notice a difference between my PMII and Razor genII. I had a Kahles for a minute before going to the PMII because I didn't like the way the Kahles looked. The ATACR I looked through seemed about on par with my PMII in my opinion for the little bit I looked through it. I'm assuming the NX8 and Mark 5 may be on the same level as far as glass goes and ZCO and TT are on the top level, but for comparison to something I'm familiar with, would yall put the 5-25PMII on the same level as TT and ZCO? I'm thinking I'll try the mark 5 and I can't live with the glass go to the ZCO or TT. Thanks for the great options guys, I wouldn't have looked much closer at the TT or ZCO without yalls input.

I went with a FFP S&B polar T96 4-16x56 with the P4f reticle for this purpose...locking turrets, great illumination for a hunting rig, and excellent low light performance.

If I were buying another alpha level ffp hunting scope today, I’d likely try the ZCO420.

FWIW, I also have a AMG 6-24 and a nx8 2.5-20, both great scopes but not on the same level as the S&B.

The Burris xtr 3 3.3-18x50 In scr mil weighs under 30oz, great FOV, turrets are decent, capped windage. Can be had for 1300$ I compared it in low light to my nx8 4-32x50 and mk5hd 3.6-18x44, and the Burris held brighter to the end. Did damn near as good as my atacr. Surprisingly......the scope that did best in the low light test was my vortex razor hd lht 3-15x42. But it's SFP. However extremely light, tracks well, mil/mil and capped windage locking elevation. If a guy can do sfp, they're the best light hunting scope out there.
Is the Burris have illumination? It’s hard to say low light, 5x multiplayer in FFP without functioning at the lowest power without it.

Is the Burris have illumination? It’s hard to say low light, 5x multiplayer in FFP without functioning at the lowest power without it.
That's why he specified the SCR reticle, it's a lot thicker than the SCR2.

Burris doesn't have illumination yet. My favorite hunting scope if not worried about weight or size, is the kahles k624i skmr reticle. Center dot is awesome, usable as a duplex with illumination at low light low mag, probably my favorite scope right now.
Got it, had several XTRIIs. But like most all FFPs at min power illumination (while it adds weight) is a must even in the end of daylight if on min power - as you mentioned to function like a duplex - once zoomed up a bit for longer shots it doesn’t mater of course.

Just my option, for my type of hunting.

I love my Mark 5HD 5-25x56 with H59 reticle for clarity of glass, consistent tracking, robustness and its light weight. Tremor3 ret on other Mk5HD can be a bit busy; however, being able to range within the scope comes in handy esp. with game that is meandering, or shooting steel at unknown distances.

I run a ATACR F1 4-16x42 on my long range hunting rifle happy to shoot deer out to 1200m with it.

Nothing, but a guy can dream right? ha ha
Well, when you’re asking for scope recommendations based on the necessity of making an extremely clean shot at 1,000 yards on an animal to attempt to be ethical, and you throw out a big dollar price tag, you better know exactly what you’re doing. A premium .243 round is at 500ftlb energy at 800 yards. For hunting at up to 1k you are looking at very specific features in a scope, and in your rifle, and cartridge, and yourself. A .243 is absolutely not a 1k hunting round. I would rethink what you’re looking to do and reel that in. A 30x scope is not necessary for the ethical range of a .243.

I havee we the Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25x. I like it. Optics are clear and turrets require some force. It is a nice clear optic to my eyes. I had a Burris XTR 2....not quite as good to my eyes.

for long hunting...300 Sherman....I went Meopta Optika6 3-18x FFP MRAD. Capped windage, locking & zero stop elevation at 30 oz. Don’t have it yet.

Well, when you’re asking for scope recommendations based on the necessity of making an extremely clean shot at 1,000 yards on an animal to attempt to be ethical, and you throw out a big dollar price tag, you better know exactly what you’re doing. A premium .243 round is at 500ftlb energy at 800 yards. For hunting at up to 1k you are looking at very specific features in a scope, and in your rifle, and cartridge, and yourself. A .243 is absolutely not a 1k hunting round. I would rethink what you’re looking to do and reel that in. A 30x scope is not necessary for the ethical range of a .243.

Agreed.

I just checked the ballistics charts at Hornady...looks like their "best" .243 round at longer range has only 325lbs of energy at 1000 yards.

For reference, a Hornady 147gr Creedmoor 6.5 had over 800 at 1000 yards and that's even under an ethical shot for a deer at that range to the best of my knowledge.

Just a note for you guys running math on energy.

For the shot I mentioned last season over 900y on the ELK, I dialed 4.9mils and the projected energy was over 1,700lbs; with a 700 yard shot over 2,000lbs.

I think you can guess why, but for those that can’t you have to factor the station pressure. Ya, the 243 is a small caliber and light in weight but at 20inHg and chasing goats it is capable further that you might think at first glance.

That said, in my option, there is a lot of restraint you need when you are presented with a long range opportunity. Are you capable of sub MOA at the distance; meaning your well practiced well past that distance, your dope is rock solid, wind or optical disturbances are not in play, your range is 100% certain, the animal is certainly presenting a great shot opportunity, your platform rock solid, dead space is not going to contribute to loosing an animal (they can run back towards you) and you’ve done what is possible to get closer. You can certainly buy the gear that is capable under ideal conditions, but then there is always the conditions and the shooter that subtract from the inherent accuracy potential of the stuff we buy.

When I first started shooting really long range, I felt like I could hit anything at the ranges I was hitting steel. But shooting a ton of matches, even if I made it to the top, gave me a better prospective on just how easy it is to miss, when someone is actually keeping score. It starts to sink in once you realize that at our typical PRS 2moa target or 20”+ plate at 1,000, it is much larger than your ethical shot on an animal at 1,000 yards and we do MISS.

BTW we are hosting a UKD TEAM Field Match this November. It is a hiking course and simulated long range hunting. It was sold out 10 months in advance but we are looking for ROs. It is a one day match in Central CA. Hit me up if your at all interested in being an RO; it is a great way to get experience and we’ll get you into one of our other 1 day PRS matches for free and provide a mentor if its your first outing. We might even have you help proof stages if you’re available or stage a follow up shoot just for the ROs.

Sorry posted again with Siri- she beats me up!
Here is a link below:

Last edited:
I like my Trigicon 4 to 20X50. Great in low light high in quality and the glass is second to none. The center dot remains illuminated naturally.

YUP! Love mine. Awesome scope. It does extremely well in low/bad light and glare. Plus its lightweight and the dials are repeatable and accurate. All in all, the ideal hunting scope IMHO.
New to the Sniper xxx and do not know how to post. But I wanted to ask an experienced F-class shooter what scope will show clearly at 1000 yds? I've bought 3 cheap scopes with 24 and 30 powers. They will not focous much past 150 yds. I call them junk. Any suggestions (price range is up to 1500$. Thanks