• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Look @ the job DPMS did on my .30 remington ar

Bob L Swagger

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2010
Base of the Appalachians
I sent my .30 Remington AR in for repair to DPMS on a dust cover that would not stay shut and something causing a sharp pointy burr on the head stamp of the spent cases. They decided to "Polish and ream chamber" as noted on their invoice. **Note the feed ramp** it did not look like this before I sent it in, it looks like a drunk sailor did the job with a dremel. Not to mention, the dust cover still will not stay shut and after firing the rifle today, I noticed there is still a sharp pointy burr on the head stamp of all spent cases.

Last edited:
Re: Look @ the job DPMS did on my .30 remington ar

Your barrel extension doesn't look like it's clocked right. Probably why they did the dremel work. Your other problems are most likely related to the extension being off.

BTW, a drunk sailor would have fixed it.

I was warned by someone on here that the quality control at DPMS went down the shitter when they hired a ton of people right after the gun craze went into effect a couple of years ago.

Thank God I heeded the warning and went with the Armalite platform for my build instead.

I wish you luck man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was warned by someone on here the the quality control at DPMS went down the shitter when they hired a ton of people right after the gun craze went into effect a couple of years ago.

Thank God I heeded the warning and went with the Armalite platform for my build instead.

I wish you luck man. </div></div>

Even years ago they had a bad reputation, now it is just worse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was warned by someone on here the the quality control at DPMS went down the shitter when they hired a ton of people right after the gun craze went into effect a couple of years ago.

I wish you luck man. </div></div>

Even years ago they had a bad reputation, now it is just worse. </div></div>
+1 That looks terrible. Sorry if that sounds bad but it's not your work I'm putting down it's theirs.

Assholes, plain and simple. I can't imagine not taking more pride in the craft I practiced. They're no better than Century arms.

Whoa...

Not sure, but I think I might not shoot that sucker until it is repaired by a drunk sailor...
wink.gif

Man, I didn't think it was possible to mess up an AR.....I guess this one takes the cake for factory damaged rifles...Makes Olympic look pretty good.

The right side of the feed ramp is eating your brass alive not mention the actual feed ramp itself is AFU.

Burrs on the;
case head = bolt face issues
case neck/shoulder/case body = feed ramp/locking lugs
Bullet deformation/scars/nicks = feed ramp/lower locking lugs

They didnt even remove the extension to do the butcher/hack job. Thats the worst I've seen so far. I'd make them replace the barrel extension.

The gunsmiths in Darra Pakistain do better work than that!
Send it back and demand they do it right. Hope you get it fixed

As a craftsman myself, adapting my woodworking talents to the fine tuning firearms, I would expect to be drawn, quartered, beaten with rocks, doused in kerosene, tarred, feathered, and torched for performing such a butcher job on ANY firearm.
What self respecting gunsmith, even with minimal training and education, would allow such an aberration to leave their bench like that?
Oh, the shame...the horror...

Thank you for all your input and support fellas! I am definitely going to send this rifle back and I hope they can make it right. I spoke to Mark at DPMS on the phone and e-mailed him these photos, he seems to be willing to correct the problems with this rifle. Maybe this trip in will do the trick. FYI my Fathers .30 remington ar is already in on trip # 2 for repairs on an issue with shots 1 and 2 touching and the 3rd shot always being a flyer approx 2" - 3" from point of aim. I see he is not the only person with this issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DDMPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What self respecting gunsmith, even with minimal training and education, would allow such an aberration to leave their bench like that?
Oh, the shame...the horror...</div></div>Exactly. How embarrassing to do work like that and to ship it back to the owner. That receiver and extension needs to be replaced.

Regarding the ejection port cover, maybe you could try tapping it gently with a rubber hammer or similar tool. I know it is a recommended procedure for Armalite rifles and it worked on mine. Might be worth a shot.

How the hell do people get away with that?

Wow! After seeing this, I'm really glad I opted for a POF P-308 instead of getting the DPMS-SASS .308.

I agree with the others who have said DPMS should replace what's needed.

Swaggert I had an DPMS experience and wasted a lot of time. They sold me a rifle with severely canted front sight and I know that's major surgery on a pinned AR15 front sight base - instead of a new rifle, they used a hammer and a little spray paint. 2 trips later, lot's of wasted time, I still had the same rifle -I paid top dollar for a new factory rifle and got a garage beater. Company recently changed hands (R. Luth sold it)but don't think anything's changed. Went to gunstore 2 days ago and picked up a new DPMS AR15 off the rack and the rear BDC would not even line up properly on the elevation index numbers.

I guess I am lucky. I bought a complete LR308 that has had no problems at all. The 6.5 Creedmoor upper that I bought would short stroke. When I talked w/ DPMS about it the guy told me to send it in as it seemed the gas port needed opening up. I sent it in and had it back working perfectly in less than 2 weeks. Hopefully they will get your situation straightened out correctly and to your satisfaction soon.

I cant believe you ordered that from DPMS? You have a put together by someone who has no idea what they where doing. I cant believe they even worked on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant believe you ordered that from DPMS? You have a put together by someone who has no idea what they where doing. I cant believe they even worked on it. </div></div>

Ok thanks, I have no idea what you are saying, but thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant believe you ordered that from DPMS? You have a <span style="color: #CC0000">rifle </span>put together by someone who has no idea what they where doing. I cant believe they even worked on it. </div></div>

im no mind reader, but...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant believe you ordered that from DPMS? You have a <span style="color: #CC0000">rifle </span>put together by someone who has no idea what they where doing. I cant believe they even worked on it. </div></div>

im no mind reader, but... </div></div>

Thanks for the translation
wink.gif
But I still have no idea what he is talking about. I didn't order that rifle from DPMS, I bought it in a gun shop in North Carolina. DPMS makes them for remington and remington markets them as their "hunting AR", apparently trying to get their chip of the AR market. As far as he cant believe they even worked on it... Remington instructed me to send it to DPMS since they are the manufacturer of the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant believe you ordered that from DPMS? You have a <span style="color: #CC0000">rifle </span>put together by someone who has no idea what they where doing. I cant believe they even worked on it. </div></div>

im no mind reader, but... </div></div>
I would like to know if DPMS or the "Gun Shop" put the rifle together. Whoever did so and let that go out should be the ones held to fix it. Its not rocket science to build these. If someone who knew what they were doing put the barrel on then thought it was ok to have the feed ramps on the side slant are insane or didn't look or worse didn't care. The barrel extension is obvious off to begin with and they tried to fix something that should have been replaced. I would send it back.

I would never buy another DPMS product again

They cut into your upper receiver as well, you better make them replace both the upper and extension, then take it to someone who knows what they are doing

I'd be demanding an entirely new upper.

Man that is one nasty job. Make they replace with new parts. Keep us updated.

Let's see the invoice. I would be asking for a complete refund.

Holy cow! To call those guys morons for this work is an insult to morons the world over. That is by and far the worst thing I've seen coming from any manufacturer.

I sent an LR308B to DPMS for repair. I had ejection issues and explained in detail just what was happening. They did the same ( polished feedramp) to my rifle and said they test fired 20 rounds with no problems. First round fired after they returned it was a jamb. Case was stovepiped half way out of the ejection port!!!! I now own an AR10 built by GAP!

boy i would love for people to be able to just file a small claims case when this happens. something to get them to wake up and stop this stuff from happening.

my next call would be to remmy to let them know how DPMS is treating their name. its all under one unbrella of Cerberus, but still its remmys name on the rifle. id hate to get that out there on all the gun boards in the public eye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">boy i would love for people to be able to just file a small claims case when this happens. something to get them to wake up and stop this stuff from happening.

my next call would be to remmy to let them know how DPMS is treating their name. its all under one unbrella of Cerberus, but still its remmys name on the rifle. id hate to get that out there on all the gun boards in the public eye. </div></div>

Remmy is even worse to deal with. All they do is give you the run around and lie. (Speaking from experience)

This is part of why I only use high end parts & assemblies now. I've had several DPMS and some of the lego kit ARs, and not had these issues (thankfully), but once you step up to high end the fit & finish is so much better that you just won't want to go back. Once they changed the rail height on the .308's to secure unique fore-ends, they lost my business forever.

I wish you lots of luck bud. If you get it back the second time and it works, then great. If not, i'd cut my losses and have a real pro go through it.

Personally, i'd sell it and have someone build me another from high quality stuff... someone like one of our fine board-sponsoring gunsmiths. Maybe have them build you one on a VLTOR platform or something else that has a good reputation (like DD or any number of the nice billet versions out there).

Best of luck.

i was thinking kinda the same. i wonder what postage is gonna add up to and time versus having a new extension installed and just calling it done. trust me, i have an issue with a place and with what i spend in postage there three times im sure i could have just had it done locally or DIY and cut my losses

had a dpms ar-15 that would get a live round stuck half way in after 23 round out of a full mag . you had to use a rod to get the round out ,took the bcg out of my stag ar15 and put it in the dmps did the samething after three trips to dpms for the same thing the replaced the whole upper after a call to the people who own dpms . only thing i could say is sell it

Bob in no way am I trying to point the finger at you. You should replace something like that. I have never seen a AR10 done that way with the feed ramps off to the side. I am saying that you cant trust that what you bought is original spec. I would have taken it back to the gun shop you bought it from and asked for your money back. Someone has sold you lie along the road with that gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob in no way am I trying to point the finger at you. You should replace something like that. I have never seen a AR10 done that way with the feed ramps off to the side. I am saying that you cant trust that what you bought is original spec. I would have taken it back to the gun shop you bought it from and asked for your money back. Someone has sold you lie along the road with that gun. </div></div>

DPMS did that to the feed ramp, I sent it in to them to have the dust cover repaired that would not stay shut. When I purchased the rifle from the gun shop (brand new in a sealed factory remington box), the feed ramp looked just like any other AR style rifles feed ramp. DPMS decided to do that to the feed ramp, for what reason, I don't know... Maybe they were having complaints with feed issues and they wanted to prevent this rifle from being returned for that. I don't know if anybody knows anything about this caliber rifle, but the ramp is in the right place. This particular cartridge loads single stack in the magazine due to the diameter of the case. It is supposed to feed into the chamber from the 7 to 8 o'clock position. That position of the feed ramp is correct, my problem with the work they performed is that it looks like a butcher did it with a dremel. It actually has a slight wave in it, it is not smooth at all. ***It is not an AR-10 style rifle. It actually is a .30 cal on a AR-15 platform. The parent case is a necked down .450 bushmaster which was based on the .284 winchester.*** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_Remington_AR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lawmaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man that is one nasty job. Make <span style="color: #CC0000">them</span> replace <span style="color: #CC0000">it</span> with new parts. Keep us updated. </div></div>

And now in english....

I need to give DPMS my application. I need a job, and it looks like they need competent smiths.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be demanding an entirely new upper.</div></div>

+1! I would demand a new upper and be done with it. If they are willing to send you back that crap.....I would hate to find out what else they would have done to it. I say get a new upper and sell it.....quickly. Their Qc is pathetic and it isn't worth the hastle. When the replacement comes in, get rid of that sob quickly and be done with it!

Here is three photos of what the feed ramp on the .30 remington ar is supposed to look like. This rifle came from the factory shooting every third shot a "flyer". DPMS tried (3) different barrels until they were able to rectify the problem. Now its running fine.

100_1898.jpg

100_1897.jpg

100_1896.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jpach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does the bbl extension look off set? </div></div>Try actually reading the thread, THEN asking stupid questions......sometimes they answer themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lawmaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man that is one nasty job. Make <span style="color: #CC0000">them</span> replace <span style="color: #CC0000">it</span> with new parts. Keep us updated. </div></div>

And now in english....</div></div>

LOL hahahahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jpach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does the bbl extension look off set? </div></div>

I think its because the magazine feeds from the left side. I'll try to get a pic of the magazine today, it will make sense when you see it.

The extension is clocked right, it sounds like the flyer issue is simply an issue with shitty barrels. As far as the "work" they did on yours, that's inexcusable. They need to return it to factory spec and then you can have a real gun plumber fix whatever is going on with it.

Well, I contacted DPMS and I finally got the UPS return label e-mailed to me last night. The rifle is packed up along with a "nice" letter with my concerns. I'll post a follow up once I get it back.