• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Look @ the job DPMS did on my .30 remington ar

Re: Look @ the job DPMS did on my .30 remington ar

The DPMS rifles look very appealing, I like the options configurator...too bad this can happen.

Bob,

We have the rifle here now and it is being fixed as we speak. It will ship today or tomorrow.

The old style of feed ramps for the R30 were vertical and caused feed issues. With the single side feed mags we need to use a <span style="text-decoration: underline">canted feed ramp</span>.

Given the size of the ramp and the lack of material on the upper and the required angle of the ramp the uppers cannot be cut very much and this causes the odd cut on the upper. This will always end up being an unattractive feed ramp.

I understand how strange this feed ramp looks to avid AR-15 users but we assure you this is the configuration required for operation. We are looking at a new polishing technique to make the ramp look better, this will have no effect on function but simply form.

To answer one other posters question the R30 does not have a center lug, it is a special design.

To answer the dust cover fix, plans are already in place to change the bolt carrier slightly to allow a tighter fit of the dust cover.

<-DPMS hater. Curious to see how this turns out for <span style="font-weight: bold">BLS</span>.

Welcome to the site DPMS, nice to see you drop in and keep your customers informed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DPMS Firearms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob,

We have the rifle here now and it is being fixed as we speak. It will ship today or tomorrow.

The old style of feed ramps for the R30 were vertical and caused feed issues. With the single side feed mags we need to use a <span style="text-decoration: underline">canted feed ramp</span>.

Given the size of the ramp and the lack of material on the upper and the required angle of the ramp the uppers cannot be cut very much and this causes the odd cut on the upper. This will always end up being an unattractive feed ramp.

I understand how strange this feed ramp looks to avid AR-15 users but we assure you this is the configuration required for operation. We are looking at a new polishing technique to make the ramp look better, this will have no effect on function but simply form.

To answer one other posters question the R30 does not have a center lug, it is a special design.

To answer the dust cover fix, plans are already in place to change the bolt carrier slightly to allow a tighter fit of the dust cover.

</div></div>

DPMS,

Welcome aboard, I'm glad to see someone brought this thread to your attention. Hopefully this time around my rifle will be corrected and we can put this all behind us. I am looking forward to seeing what was done to make this right. I see you mentioned "plans are already in place to change the bolt carrier slightly to allow a tighter fit of the dust cover". What kind of change to the bolt is going to be preformed? When I received the rifle back from the first trip in for repair, the dust cover was still not latching correctly. I called DPMS, spoke to Mark and explained the situation. I explained that my fathers rifle had the same problem and it was fixed at DPMS by the tech milling away the bolt carrier group where the dust cover contacted it. The tech also replaced the stock buffer with a tungsten buffer (my guess was a heavier buffer was required to compensate for the weight loss of the BCG due to the milling performed). Mark adamantly explained to me repeatedly that this could not have been done because it would cause the rifle to malfunction (even though it was already done to my fathers rifle). After going back and forth during this conversation, I explained to Mark that my fathers rifle was back at DPMS a second time for repair and if he did not believe what I was saying then he could go inspect it for himself since it was in their possession. I'm curious, with this being mentioned, what plan is in place to change the bolt carrier slightly to allow a tighter fit of the dust cover?

"Given the size of the ramp and the lack of material on the upper and the required angle of the ramp the uppers cannot be cut very much and this causes the odd cut on the upper. This will <span style="color: #FF0000">always</span> end up being an unattractive feed ramp."

ALWAYS?

Here is a photo of another .30 remington ar feed ramp. It doesn't appear to be unattractive to me. As a matter of fact, if mine came back and looked like this, I would be happy.

Respectfully,
Bob

100_1896.jpg

Gut-wrenching - my sympathies. Sorry I can't help, but thanks for the warning!

Bob, What dies are you using?? Mines shoot factory ammo flawlessly but my reloads were suspect until i got it right. Feeding issues are non-existant with factory but still have an odd one with my reloads. XBR8208 and 110gr Barnes TSX is what I settled on.
Happy Trails!!!

Bob,

This is your upper

[img:center]
P1010003.jpg
[/img]

Just like your fathers, the carrier was reworked for the dust cover, extra weight in the buffer was added to fine tune the action.

We test fired 40 rounds of Remington ammunition with 100% operation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob in no way am I trying to point the finger at you. You should replace something like that. I have never seen a AR10 done that way with the feed ramps off to the side. I am saying that you cant trust that what you bought is original spec. I would have taken it back to the gun shop you bought it from and asked for your money back. Someone has sold you lie along the road with that gun. </div></div>

As noted in the title, it isn't chambered in .308 - it's a .30 Remington. The feedramp is SUPPOSED to be off to the side like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DPMS Firearms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob,

This is your upper

[img:center]
P1010003.jpg
[/img]

Just like your fathers, the carrier was reworked for the dust cover, extra weight in the buffer was added to fine tune the action.

We test fired 40 rounds of Remington ammunition with 100% operation. </div></div>

I can say that looks to be in 100% better condition than what was returned to me the first time. It still looks nothing like the 2 other .30 remington AR feed ramps that I have inspected. I guess a few extra magazines would be a nice gesture from DPMS for my inconvenience and months of headaches I have endured.
wink.gif

I am actually impressed DPMS came out and responded to your concerns on this forum,I hope not to just save face. I bought a dpms a while back to use for coyote hunting. After reading into this thread it had me worried a little.

Well done DPMS. Y'all manned up to his issues and came through.

I have a DPMS made R25 that has been 100% reliable, and is SUB MOA with every load I have feed it. It is a fantastic rifle. I have Magpul and a 4 round DPMS mags, all work fine.

I felt that DPMS needed some love so I wanted to say I am a very satisfied customer. After 400rnds through it, I would trust my life with the weapon.

While it is good DPMS manned up, for my money I'd still look elsewhere. I live about 25 miles from their St. Cloud, MN plant and still would not buy from them. Instead I bought from JP Enterprises, another Minnesota company. Weighed against a DPMS, it's like comparing a Ferarri to an old Datsun.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys,

we are shooters and hunters like everyone else, we try to take care of everybody best we can but sometimes we screw up.

And sometimes that "Ferarri" ain't all Itallian...
shocked.gif

good deal. nice move DPMS, it will take you a long way on this site

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well done DPMS. Y'all manned up to his issues and came through.

I have a DPMS made R25 that has been 100% reliable, and is SUB MOA with every load I have feed it. It is a fantastic rifle. I have Magpul and a 4 round DPMS mags, all work fine.

I felt that DPMS needed some love so I wanted to say I am a very satisfied customer. After 400rnds through it, I would trust my life with the weapon. </div></div>

No offense, but 400rds isn't much. Definitely not enough to determine reliability yet, ESPECIALLY if you plan on using it for SD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well done DPMS. Y'all manned up to his issues and came through.

I felt that DPMS needed some love so I wanted to say I am a very satisfied customer. After 400rnds through it, I would trust my life with the weapon. </div></div>

No offense, but 400rds isn't much. Definitely not enough to determine reliability yet, ESPECIALLY if you plan on using it for SD. </div></div>

I agree, not conclusive. That said, if he had a lemon he most likely would have already figured it out. Materiel failures that are associated with poor quality most often occur very early in the product's lifecycle. If you make it through the first 500 rounds or so, you are most likely GTG.

What are your feelings about POF and Rock River? I am not looking for fancy ... just looking for reliable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DPMS Firearms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys,

we are shooters and hunters like everyone else, we try to take care of everybody best we can but sometimes we screw up.

shocked.gif
</div></div>

WOW! "Sometimes we screw up" Now that is something that I do not want to hear from a manufacturer of firearms. I will definately NEVER purchase a DPMS product because of that statement. I feel sorry for the guys that get the screwed up rifles, they should never leave the factory. With firearms, there is no room for error they should be checked, rechecked then checked again, especially for the money that is involved. Bob, I feel for you and your father. I see both of you are having problems with your .30 rem ar's. I think remington shouldn't have went with the lowest bidder when they decided to get into the ar market. I understand their R-15 .223's and .204's are made by bushmaster and are great.

Have first hand exp with a friends pof or pos. It was reliably inaccurate. Couldn't shoot a 100grp better than 3-4 inches. Called them and got the spill about certain ammo, and 500 round breakin. Did everything the suggested with no increase in accuracy. Then they said it is meant to be suppressed. So almost a year later when he was approved for the suppessor, it shoots worse. The shop he bought it from was kind enough to buy it back.
Was told by the shop I deal with thier quality control has been shit. Seems everybodys is lately. Maybe a fluke, but for that kind of money its a joke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrueShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DPMS Firearms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys,

shocked.gif
</div></div>

WOW! "Sometimes we screw up" Now that is something that I do not want to hear from a manufacturer of firearms. I will definately NEVER purchase a DPMS product because of that statement. I feel sorry for the guys that get the screwed up rifles, they should never leave the factory. With firearms, there is no room for error they should be checked, rechecked then checked again, especially for the money that is involved. Bob, I feel for you and your father. I see both of you are having problems with your .30 rem ar's. I think remington shouldn't have went with the lowest bidder when they decided to get into the ar market. I understand their R-15 .223's and .204's are made by bushmaster and are great. </div></div>

If you will never buy a firearm from a company that has "screwed up" I'm very curious to know the short-list of the firearms you own. Must be pretty small.

While I don't like that people screw up, it does happen. What is more important to me is how they deal with it.
I am a mechanic and have never had issues with some companys so you think they are gtg. Then you have an issue and find out they don't stand behind thier product, and or have shit customer service. That's the companies I won't deal with. Unfortunately there are a bunch of places I won't deal with anymore, and this trend is carrying over to the shooting world for me. As long as dpms makes it right I won't hold it against them. Does it suck? For sure, but it could be worse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrueShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DPMS Firearms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys,

shocked.gif
</div></div>

WOW! "Sometimes we screw up" Now that is something that I do not want to hear from a manufacturer of firearms. I will definately NEVER purchase a DPMS product because of that statement. I feel sorry for the guys that get the screwed up rifles, they should never leave the factory. With firearms, there is no room for error they should be checked, rechecked then checked again, especially for the money that is involved. Bob, I feel for you and your father. I see both of you are having problems with your .30 rem ar's. I think remington shouldn't have went with the lowest bidder when they decided to get into the ar market. I understand their R-15 .223's and .204's are made by bushmaster and are great. </div></div>

Let me be the first to offer you a free trip back to the real world. If you think that there is a manufacturer that puts out more than a handful of rifles out there that doesn't screw something up occasionally, then you are in some parrellel universe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrueShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DPMS Firearms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys,

shocked.gif
</div></div>

If you will never buy a firearm from a company that has "screwed up" I'm very curious to know the short-list of the firearms you own. Must be pretty small. </div></div>

You are correct the list is small, but soon it will not be since I just came into some inheritance. I will be buying a few rifles and I can tell you that DPMS will not be getting my money. To me, its not about quantity, its about quality. Did you happen to see the condition of the feed ramp on page #1? I can't believe they let that out the door like that. They are getting the premium price of $1225. MSRP for that rifle, I would expect it to be in perfect working order if purchased brand new.

I would also like to add, it looks like DPMS only came out to save face once they discovered this informative post was here. What would Cerberus Capital Management think of all this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrueShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrueShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DPMS Firearms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys,

shocked.gif
</div></div>

If you will never buy a firearm from a company that has "screwed up" I'm very curious to know the short-list of the firearms you own. Must be pretty small. </div></div>

You are correct the list is small, but soon it will not be since I just came into some inheritance. I will be buying a few rifles and I can tell you that DPMS will not be getting my money. To me, its not about quantity, its about quality. Did you happen to see the condition of the feed ramp on page #1? I can't believe they let that out the door like that. They are getting the premium price of $1225. MSRP for that rifle, I would expect it to be in perfect working order if purchased brand new. </div></div>

So please, enlighten us as to what those firearms will include since you only buy from firearms manufacturers who have "never screw up".

Well TruShooter it's like this, we are a small company here at DPMS and don't always have the chance to monitor forums like we would want. Not trying to save face rather taking care of the customer like it should have done right away. Every rifle here at DPMS is made by humans, not machines and we are not perfect, no one is.

DPMS is a company from St. Cloud, MN not China. 65% of DPMS employees are veterans. Some are still currently serving and some will be deployed soon for the second and third time.

If you don't like us that's fine we have no problem with that. That’s what's great about living in the US everyone can have their own opinion and speak it.
wink.gif

Hey guys please don't hijack my thread, take it somewhere else. I'm glad DPMS joined Snipershide.com it is a real good source of information. I have faith in them and believe they are going to make it right by me. This is all that matters.

I'm glad to see that it appears everything worked out for you Bob! I'm looking forward to the arrival of my first DPMS LR-308 in a few weeks. I have to admit that this thread had me a little concerned over my purchase decision, but I'm glad to see DPMS took care of the situation.
smile.gif

I agree swagger, they are at least making a concerted effort to mop up this mess. I hope that your AR comes back functional & reliable, so that you won't have to deal with this again.

My friend bought a R25 this last weekend, and upon initial testing it runs great. Because it is a fairly standardized platform I had no qualms about recommending it to him. Your gun is a different animal, being a fairly unique caliber with its own challenges to fit in a standard AR.

Would I buy a .30 Rem AR even after seeing the fixes? NO, because it seems to be oddball enough to open pandora's box. But, I would consider giving them another chance with a standardized platform, and pray it never needs to go back for repair.

DPMS- since you read here occasionally, I want to say that i'm still not happy about the change in upper height on the .308 platform. Nevertheless, kudos to you for sucking it up and airing this for all to see. I hope that you guys will be able to solve future issues because of the info that has surfaced here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree swagger, they are at least making a concerted effort to mop up this mess. I hope that your AR comes back functional & reliable, so that you won't have to deal with this again.

My friend bought a R25 this last weekend, and upon initial testing it runs great. Because it is a fairly standardized platform I had no qualms about recommending it to him. Your gun is a different animal, being a fairly unique caliber with its own challenges to fit in a standard AR.

Would I buy a .30 Rem AR even after seeing the fixes? NO, because it seems to be oddball enough to open pandora's box. But, I would consider giving them another chance with a standardized platform, and pray it never needs to go back for repair.

DPMS- since you read here occasionally, I want to say that i'm still not happy about the change in upper height on the .308 platform. Nevertheless, kudos to you for sucking it up and airing this for all to see. I hope that you guys will be able to solve future issues because of the info that has surfaced here. </div></div>

BCW,

The R-25 is pretty nice huh? I have two and I love them, I think they shoot pretty darn well.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...607#Post2323607

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Desert-Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Appaulimg...... Now we see first hand why DPMS has no dod contracts!

Quality not quantity! </div></div>

Gosh, you're right. DoD contracts never require quantity.

I own a DPMS and have never had a problem with it...EVER. But when I seen what had come back from the factoy to his weapon I was thinking well I just got lucky and got a good one and figured I shouldn't ever buy another one.

However, The way that DPMS has stepped up and joined this site and admitted their foul up and fixed it appropriately and taken the extra steps to assure a good customer experience I would certainly buy another rifle from them!!! I have been wanting a R-25 in .243 for the past few months and I have went from not going to buy it after reading this post back to wanting it in my collection for sure....way to go DPMS and keep it up.

Only thing that I could mention to offer for better QC is maybe hire a specific person(there sole purpose is QC) just to inspect these rifles ONE MORE TIME to make sure these rifles don't leave the warehouse with these kind of problems.

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Desert-Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Appaulimg...... Now we see first hand why DPMS has no dod contracts!

Gosh, you're right. DoD contracts never require quantity. </div></div>

Bow,
Thanks for proving my point that the mass Sheep of this country have the mindset that quantity = quality. Geez they produce for a contract must be good...!!

You totally missed my point in that DPMS MASS produces cheap /economical for the everyday joe looking to save some pennies... This is why they DO NOT have a contract...

Try to buy an LMT for $699 at a gun show... then ask them how many they produce in a run, probably a fraction of DPMS...

Good to be a sheepdog with the flock growing....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Desert-Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Desert-Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Appaulimg...... Now we see first hand why DPMS has no dod contracts!

Gosh, you're right. DoD contracts never require quantity. </div></div>

Bow,
Thanks for proving my point that the mass Sheep of this country have the mindset that quantity = quality. Geez they produce for a contract must be good...!!

You totally missed my point in that DPMS MASS produces cheap /economical for the everyday joe looking to save some pennies... This is why they DO NOT have a contract...

Try to buy an LMT for $699 at a gun show... then ask them how many they produce in a run, probably a fraction of DPMS...

Good to be a sheepdog with the flock growing.... </div></div>

I guess I am still missing your point. The point I was making is that winning a DoD contact has very little to do with producing the best product and more to do with meeting a specified spec at the lowest cost. That spec may or may not actually result in a quality product.

My appologies to Bob for the hijacking repeat offense.
blush.gif

I received my rifle back from DPMS today and I have to say it all looks good. They really did a great job on it this time and I am looking forward to shooting it. DPMS is a great company and by no means do I want anyone to look at the pictures on page one of this post and allow them to deter you from purchasing a DPMS product. DPMS really stepped up to the plate to correct the "mistake" that was made and I have to say they made me happy with this rifle. I will be shooting it on Friday, March 4th and I will let you guys know how it goes. I have no doubt that it will function flawlessly, the rifle looks better than new. Thank you Panther Arms, you are a bunch of stand up gentlemen!

-Bob Lee Swagger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I received my rifle back from DPMS today and I have to say it all looks good. They really did a great job on it this time and I am looking forward to shooting it. DPMS is a great company and by no means do I want anyone to look at the pictures on page one of this post and allow them to deter you from purchasing a DPMS product. DPMS really stepped up to the plate to correct the "mistake" that was made and I have to say they made me happy with this rifle. I will be shooting it on Friday, March 4th and I will let you guys know how it goes. I have no doubt that it will function flawlessly, the rifle looks better than new. Thank you Panther Arms, you are a bunch of stand up gentlemen!

-Bob Lee Swagger </div></div>

Thanks for the follow up Bob. Glad this all can be put to rest.

I'm happy for you too, Bob. I am also happy for me since my PD just ordered a new DPMS rifle. When I first started to follow this thread, I got a little nervous when I considered what kind of rifle we might receive. After seeing the way DPMS responded publicly to this issue, I'm no longer worried. That took a lot of guts to step up for God and everybody to see and say "We screwed up", and then to make things right. Courage is something I respect. Oh, and as someone once said, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." We all make mistakes. It is how we respond to them that defines us. I think DPMS responded quite well in this instance.

HRF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DPMS Firearms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well TruShooter it's like this, we are a small company here at DPMS and don't always have the chance to monitor forums like we would want. Not trying to save face rather taking care of the customer like it should have done right away. Every rifle here at DPMS is made by humans, not machines and we are not perfect, no one is.

DPMS is a company from St. Cloud, MN not China. 65% of DPMS employees are veterans. Some are still currently serving and some will be deployed soon for the second and third time.

If you don't like us that's fine we have no problem with that. That’s what's great about living in the US everyone can have their own opinion and speak it.
wink.gif

</div></div>

DPMS,
All I will say is I have had nothing but excellent rifles & customer service from your company. Only problem I ever had was a 6.5 Creedmoor upper short stroking. A tech told me to send it back and it would be fixed. I had it back in my hands in less than 2 weeks functioning perfectly. Keep up the great work.

I have a R25 in .308. It is the best shooting rifle I have! Shoots 1/2MOA with 168gr SMK's. In two years I have not had a single issue! I also bought a DPMS lower and just finished assembly on my first .300 Whisper/.30 Fireball/ Blackout/ WTF ever they call it....DPMS is AOK in my book!
cool.gif

My only problem is I need a .40 cal carbine upper. If anybody at DPMS is reading this.....

Hey DPMS,

what is the status of the 22lr upper? pm is fine or Dillon has my email.

bk

sorry to hijack

Ok, I shot the rifle today and it functioned flawlessly. I actually burned up 80 rounds. It held decent groups with a few just a tad over and few under 1" (5 shots @ 100 yards) with the 150 gr. Remington core lokt factory ammo. Im very happy with this rifle and the way it shoots now. Im looking forward to using it in NY this October for whitetails. It seems like its going to be a winner for hunting out to 300 yards.

DPMS will not sell extra bolt parts for the 30 AR unless they are damaged! Anyone who has these rifles should be aware of this. I always keep an extra bolt for all my AR'S. Also to many bolt swipe/timing issues for me. Going to be changing cartridges asap.

Last edited:
Nothing like a dredged up three year old thread.

Do yourself a favor, rebarrel it to 300BLK if you want small frame 30 cal weights. 30 AR is a never was cartridge.