• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Look what just arrived from Surefire! The NEW V1, the authentic Vampire IR/White Light

Victor-TNVC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 5, 2007
    USA
    www.tnvc.com
    Look what just showed up today! I've been working with the original proto awhile back when the SF boys stopped by. This one is for ME to keep and work with. :) I have been waiting for this version with a hi/lo IR lum option for quite some time. Will get up some down range pics and brief review going!
    icon_smile_tongue.gif

Vic

SF_V1_zpsd4c9e4b1.jpg

Comparison with the M1. Very close in size AND weight

V1_M1_zps52b58102.jpg

V1Weight_zpsa6e42cde.jpg

M1_Weight_zps3b934585.jpg

Output? Can't find any specs on the webs. Size is right.

Tried to get the specs to show through the plastic wrapper above...I should have just took the manual out.

White: 120lum high/10 low
    IR: 100mW high/5mW low

Gonna get some comparison shots with vs. the M1. Had it out last night and really like the low IR feature for indoor work.

Run time? I wish surefire would stop chasing lumens and instead increase efficiency of battery life.

They redid the board on this light to make the IR a much smoother beam. It came out really nice....looks like a win to me.

Night Comparison would be great between the two . I have used couple of the M1's for years and they are a great compact little IR to use . Always have one on a lanyard around the neck @ night.

(imho) I think the SF M1 has good battery life & I use it 'every time' I go out hunting . I really have not figured out the exact hour of battery Run-time, But I really dont change out batteries in it that much. Probably just go threw about 3 or 4 cr123 a Year on it and I use it a lot .

They redid the board on this light to make the IR a much smoother beam. It came out really nice....looks like a win to me.

Err not really redid and not smoother in that regard but much more. It's their TIR lens system that now incorporates a white light, which they have done for awhile now. My views from last nights work I've posted elsewhere.

SC, screen shots on the way vs. the M1 next week, but I compared the two last night close range in the hood. I REALLY like the 5mW IR low setting indoors. Now the biggest gain I like from this unit in high or low mode is the beam itself. While everyone brags about the M1 has the cleanest IR circle beam out there, which it does, a very pretty beam...What do you really gain by this, especially indoors? Basically in a very dark room, nothing. In reality it's just like having a white light with NO SPILL and I cannot see well into the shadows off to the side so I have to turn my head more to see bright.

Most of us know in very dark environments there are plenty of night time shadows at times where even the best Gen 3 gear has a hard time peering into them especially when doing indoor search work. With the V1, in comes a diffused beam with it's TIR lens that produces spill for both the IR and white light functions. Because of the IR spill, I was able to use the unit on high IR indoors because the beam is not just one hot spot. I still like running the unit in low indoors if the environment is very dark, but if the indoor environment has some ambient light spill from windows etc., the high mode really did well with it's hot spot and spill.
    ** Note, it may be hard to depict this with a camera due to the camera blacking out everything around the beam itself. Add to the fact I stink at any good camera work.**

Thanks, just some of my initial observations so far. More to come....

Last edited:
    Run time? I wish surefire would stop chasing lumens and instead increase efficiency of battery life.

Hi Javelin,

I posted the specs in my original post but not real clear through the picture I took. Here is another pic.

Not sure if they chased any big lumens with this unit, but the IR/white function is a big deal along with the increased IR Lum and it's hi/lo features are significant for helmet use as well.

V1_Manual_zpse41f8215.jpg

Last edited:
    I don't mean to sound like its a crazy advancement or anything. I took some of the surefire crew on a hunt and that was an over simplification of what they told me (oversimplified mainly because I'm far from being an sme)
    The samples they gave me were all smoother than the older vampire models.

Are you planning on running it mainly in place of the M1, or as a supplement?

Alright sports fans, went out last night and did some testing with the new V1. I knew from the get-go with some and home and neighborhood hood testing, this light was the ONE. I can tell you Surefire hit it out of the park with the new V1. Below are my test shots at 25, 50 and 100 yards vs. the SF M1 on the left, V1 on the right. Obviously our TNV-PVS-14 Omni 8 is hugely clearer through the tube, but my Samsung Notepad III did surprising well.

A note on true effective range. We define true effective range for a light to be able to see into the shadows at night. While the M1's beam can slightly light up a target at night at 100 yards, you can see by the pics below, it's barely effective to really see into the shadows.

Equipment used: TNV-PVS-14 L3 Omni 8.
    Date: 28 August 2014
    Time: 2100hrs Pacific Time
    Conditions: Dark, No Moon, Clear-Starlight, City Sky Glow from 10 miles
    Temp: 81deg F.

25 Yards (No white out ever noted real eye, camera processing too much light on white target with the V1
    V1_M1_25yards_zpsfa06bc59.jpg

50 Yards
    V1_M1_50yards_zps3eab30b0.jpg

100 Yards
    V1_M1_100yards_zps4b4ff35e.jpg

V1 Specs
    V1_Manual_zpse41f8215.jpg

**High/low mode operation**
    - First press high
    - 2nd press within 1/4 second goes to low mode
    -Clicky tail cap or momentary
    - Lock out tail cap, simply turn the tail cap until no contact with battery

M1 Specs
    Output: IR Only - 10mW
    Runtime: 15 Hours
    Weight: 3.10 Ounces
    Length: 3.80 Inches
    Bezel Diameter: 1.00 Inch

As I spoke about earlier in this thread, not only can this new V1 be used out to 150yards with TRUE effective range, it's lens design allows for much brighter spill which the M1 and it's perfect circular beam does not. You can see it in the beam pics, but indoors is where this light does extremely well seeing off to the side in the shadows. It's hard to depict the effective spill with a camera indoors because the camera wants to black out the scene outside the main beam which is not close to what the user see's through a Gen 3 NVD.

Another great feature if the V1 is the ability to use as a pocket light and you can remove the clip and helmet mount using a V-Tac for helmet mounting. One area of the light that that requires a strong manipulation is the pull and turn feature of the bezel to change modes. While this is easily done with the light in your hand, having it on your helmet requires some effort with the pull and turn manipulation. Talking with Surefire engineering, this function will become lighter over time with more working of the mechanism.

Here is the true effective ranges for each at night I observed.

V1 (IR)
    High: 150 Yards
    Low: 30 Yards

V1 (Vis)
    High: 75 Yards
    Low: 15 Yards

M1 (IR Only/Single Intensity)
    65-70 Yards

Pro's for the V1
    1. Light weight
    2. Pocket and helmet worn
    3. Dual Mode, IR/Vis
    3. Bright side spill beam for truly seeing off to the sides which really assists with indoor work
    4. 150 yard true range (high mode)
    5. Pocket clip (removable)

Cons for the V1
    1. Tight "pull" mechanism when changing light modes
    2. Run times (for some users in high mode) IR Mode 4- 5 Hours High / 57 Hours Low - Vis Mode 1.5hrs High / 20.5 Low

Pro's for M1
    1. Light Weight
    2. Price $112.00
    3. Run time, 15 hours

Con's for the M1
    1. Too perfect beam, no spill
    2. IR mode only
    3. No pocket clip

In closing, while the Surefire M1 has been my go to IR light for many years now for me and many others, I feel strongly the torch has been past. SF hit a real home run with the V1 and it's does everything I want a small lightweight light to do. I feel we have a real tool for both the day and night fighters out there. It's a gem of a light and for $279.00, I feel it will be met with open arms for many. These units should hit the official shelves in September.

Thanks all!

Vic Di Cosola

V1_M1_zps52b58102.jpg

V1_Helmet_zps0631be03.jpg

Last edited:
    On another forum a few folks have asked how easy is it to remove the pocket clip? Pretty easy, I just took off the head and by using the side of my work bench for leverage, pressed the clip out. :)

Vic

SureFire is re-doing the M1 as well. I evaluated 5 different variations of potential replacements in June while in Texas with some of the SF crew. They wanted input to narrow it down to 2 or 3 final versions. Not sure when they will be commercially available?

Killswitch, this is a smaller, lower profile head than the older V-Series heads. All of the new V-series weapon lights have this new head allowing then to mount flush to the quad rail, versus having to extend beyond the quad rail. Also there are multiple outputs and there is also (Most likely - since I have not physically seen this version) an off position, where as the older versions had just a WL and IR position.

Well, I've taken the plunge.

TNV/PVS-14, some other stuff and a V1 on order.

Considering this is my first real entry into the NV world, I'll probably have some trial and error. I hope the V1 is something I got right the first time.

SureFire is re-doing the M1 as well. I evaluated 5 different variations of potential replacements in June while in Texas with some of the SF crew. They wanted input to narrow it down to 2 or 3 final versions. Not sure when they will be commercially available?

I saw 2-3 versions of these. Unfortunately these may not come out at all and the V1 will be it.

Vic

Well, I've taken the plunge.

TNV/PVS-14, some other stuff and a V1 on order.

Considering this is my first real entry into the NV world, I'll probably have some trial and error. I hope the V1 is something I got right the first time.

I feel between the TNV-14 and the new V1, you got it right a whole bunch. Thank you for the purchase, you will REALLY like the gear.

Vic

Hey Victor, you may be right. Like many companies, SureFire teases us with concept products that never materialize into actual units for commercial availability. Honestly I really love the original M1 and it is still a very capable IR illuminator. I guess I'll find our when they send me my samples?

I saw 2-3 versions of these. Unfortunately these may not come out at all and the V1 will be it.

Vic

Hey Victor, you may be right. Like many companies, SureFire teases us with concept products that never materialize into actual units for commercial availability. Honestly I really love the original M1 and it is still a very capable IR illuminator. I guess I'll find our when they send me my samples?

Copy on all Brother. I REALLY hope the new M1 may come to market, but my guess the wait and see approach will happen to see how the V1 does in the market place.

Vic

thank it would make an ok light weapon setup... 556 pistol??? or just get surefire M300V Mini Scout? I could use a navigation Light and rail space is limited