• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lookig for Expert Riflesmith / Machinist

Quick Karl

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2010
<span style="color: #3333FF">Does anyone know of a truly meticulous Mauser machinist / gunsmith? I am not looking for someone to screw a barrel on, I am looking for someone that knows how to clean/true the face of the inner torque shoulder concentric with the bore of the receiver, clean/chase the receiver barrel thread concentric with the bore of the receiver, and face the receiver perpendicular to the bore of the receiver.

This is not a mandrel and tap job.

I can do all the other work and will have the receiver re-hardened by Blanchard’s in Salt Lake City.

I sure hope someone can help because it is getting harder and harder to find guys that know how to do the work the right way without cutting corners and making excuses…

Thanks in advance.</span>

Re: Lookig for Expert Riflesmith / Machinist

Part of the problem you are going to run into is a riflesmith who's willing to put their reputation on the line with accurizing an action so that you can install the barrel yourself.

Personally, I'm capable of doing exactly what you have requested (and I've built several Mausers for myself), but even if I had an 07 FFL to do the work I would think hard about truing an action up and then handing it off.

If a problem arises with the build the risk of it being "Bohem's action truing job is trash and you shouldn't trust him" against "I had Bohem do the action but I screwed up the barrel install (or bedding or crown or whatever)" is much too high.

A top level Mauser guy is probably going to be hesitant to accept such a request.

<span style="color: #3333FF">I am a friend of Gary Schneider, from whom I get my barrels. Gary makes one of the finest barrels you can get your hands on at any price, and he does not chamber and install them - his customers or his customer's gunsmiths do.

By your logic, he should stop selling barrels to anyone unless he does the installation work, lest someone chamber the barrel poorly and blame his barrel for a crap rifle...

The last time I heard an argument like yours it was from a back-yard gunsmith that talked himself up as an expert Mauser smith yet he chattered a reamer in a match barrel and ruined it (when you would extract a fired round the case looked like an octagon) and tried to blame his customer for shooting "PMC" ammo through the rifle, which, according to Mr. Mauser expert, was "hotter" than SAAMI spec... as if a hot round could iron an octagonal shape into a rifle chamber without exploding the rifle...

I am not looking to blame anyone for what they didn’t do but I am also not looking for anyone that’s going to blame me for something they couldn’t do right in the first place.

Thanks for your input.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant wait to see how this one ends. </div></div>

No shit!

Nice entrance Quick Karl

Or by your logic, then Surgeon should offer a 1/2 MOA guarantee to you for buying their action, no matter who puts it together and what parts and ammo they use.

Or the same accuracy guarantee that Mr. Gradous or Mr. Roscoe offer with their rifles should come with a Rem 700 that they blueprinted and then let you have your own way with?

Without the control over the components used, the chambering process or anything else in the build you're basically asking someone to put their reputation (which is hard to gain and easy to lose) on your ability to build the rifle. I doubt many top flight 'smiths would be willing to do that.

Say what you will, good luck with your quest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quick Karl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #3333FF">Does anyone know of a truly meticulous Mauser machinist / gunsmith? I am not looking for someone to screw a barrel on, I am looking for someone that knows how to clean/true the face of the inner torque shoulder concentric with the bore of the receiver, clean/chase the receiver barrel thread concentric with the bore of the receiver, and face the receiver perpendicular to the bore of the receiver.

I can do all the other work and will have the receiver re-hardened by Blanchard’s in Salt Lake City.

I sure hope someone can help because it is getting harder and harder to find guys that know how to do the work the right way without cutting corners and making excuses…

Thanks in advance.</span> </div></div>

Karl if I was a well respected, top notch gunsmith there is no way in hell I would do the work your looking for and put my name and company reputation behind it knowing that someone who might not have the skills to complete the build properly.
Maybe during your enquiries when you have told some of the smiths your plans they just said " sorry I cant do that".
There are a few top notch gunsmiths on this site who are more than capable to do the work your looking for. Most are funny about only doing part of a job and putting their name and reputation on it.
Good luck with finding someone who will take the risk.

Mac

<span style="color: #3333FF">I have no clue what you are talking about or where you hallucinated the idea that I was expecting anyone that <span style="font-style: italic">'could actually do the precession work'</span>, to guarantee any MOA specification on something I want someone else to install a barrel on...

Internet forums sure are amazing things…</span>

confused.gif

<span style="color: #3333FF">Well then <span style="font-style: italic">if</span> you were a well respected top notch gunsmith, I would imagine you wouldn't even reply to my post...</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quick Karl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #3333FF">Does anyone know of a truly meticulous Mauser machinist / gunsmith? I am not looking for someone to screw a barrel on, I am looking for someone that knows how to clean/true the face of the inner torque shoulder concentric with the bore of the receiver, clean/chase the receiver barrel thread concentric with the bore of the receiver, and face the receiver perpendicular to the bore of the receiver.

Thanks in advance.</span> </div></div>

Karl if I was a well respected, top notch gunsmith there is no way in hell I would do the work your looking for and put my name and company reputation behind it knowing that someone who might not have the skills to complete the build properly.
Maybe during your enquiries when you have told some of the smiths your plans they just said " sorry I cant do that".
There are a few top notch gunsmiths on this site who are more than capable to do the work your looking for. Most are funny about only doing part of a job and putting their name and reputation on it.
Good luck with finding someone who will take the risk.

Mac
</div></div>

keep digging that hole Karl. I wouldn't touch your shit for double the money.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Well then, I am glad we could agree on something! </span>
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">keep digging that hole Karl. I wouldn't touch your shit for double the money. </div></div>

going like i though it would. Karl step back calm down. It looks like your new here. If you keep this up it wont end good. The people that gave you advice know what there talking about. Just go back and look at some of their post in the past. Plus if i was going to have all the work done your wanting i would go ahead and pay the 150 to 200 to have the smith do it all. That way like has been stated if you have a problem. You have someone to talk to and get it right. Be careful what you say and who you say it to.

i agree with nesikabay.

having a single party do all the work eliminates any possibility of the "blame game" if something is wrong. if you trust someone to do the truing job the way you want it, i am sure they are capable of chambering the barrel the way you want it too.

personally, i wouldn't even have a rifle built by a large company that has more than one person's hands involved in the build. if i didn't do my own work, i'd be looking at one of the builders that are a one man shop. i would want to talk to the individual that is going to be doing the work, not the person that is going to hand it off to the person/people doing the work. i feel that the chances of getting a perfect rifle are much greater in this situation.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Sir,

I posted a very clear simple post.

The surprising thing is, as in all Internet discussion forums, the "expert advice" is coming from the experts in the bleachers, who cannot play the game, but can talk about playing the game...

I did not ask for any ‘gunsmith’s spokesman’ to reply on behalf of every gunsmith that may participate in this forum’, and for anyone to do so is arrogant, impolite, and mischievous..

The mischievous posts are unnecessary, and I will point that out and respond in kind in my own polite way, whenever necessary. The simple fact of the matter is if you cannot do the work, or do not want to, it is a total senseless waste of time to post any reply whatsoever. No one here is supreme enough to speak for every gunsmith out there, and if someone imagines they are; well then, there is the problem…

I have been around Internet discussion forums long enough to have grown extremely tired of these kinds of replies to otherwise gentlemanly posts.

Thank you for your input.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">going like i though it would. Karl step back calm down. It looks like your new here. If you keep this up it wont end good. The people that gave you advice know what there talking about. Just go back and look at some of their post in the past. Plus if i was going to have all the work done your wanting i would go ahead and pay the 150 to 200 to have the smith do it all. That way like has been stated if you have a problem. You have someone to talk to and get it right. Be careful what you say and who you say it to. </div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF">Thank you,

I intend to have one of the finest barrel makers on the planet, chamber and install the barrel - but he does <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">not</span></span> have the fixturing, nor the inclination to manufacture the fixturing, to true a Mauser receiver (which is more difficult to true than a Remington 700 or similar action, due to the integral recoil lug, and the fact that the barrel must snug up to the 'inner torque shoulder' and NOT the reciever face).</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree with nesikabay.

having a single party do all the work eliminates any possibility of the "blame game" if something is wrong. if you trust someone to do the truing job the way you want it, i am sure they are capable of chambering the barrel the way you want it too.

personally, i wouldn't even have a rifle built by a large company that has more than one person's hands involved in the build. if i didn't do my own work, i'd be looking at one of the builders that are a one man shop. i would want to talk to the individual that is going to be doing the work, not the person that is going to hand it off to the person/people doing the work. i feel that the chances of getting a perfect rifle are much greater in this situation. </div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF">I can only wish a Gunsmith like Gre-Tan had the fixturing to do a Mauser... It would be outrageously expensive to ask an expert machinist like Gre-Tan to build a fixture for one action.

300Sniper, a member of this forum, has a perfect fixture, (looks large enough and uncomplicated, but he is not "a gunsmith business". I've asked what the cost would be to purchase a fixture like his, from him, but haven't gotten a reply yet.</span>

<span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!</span></span>

On a whim I called Gre-Tan, and they CAN and ARE GOING TO do the work, and for what I believe is an unbelievably low price!!!

I think this is the happiest day I've had in about 20-years!

Thank you Mr. Skunkeye!!!!</span>
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd give Greg Tannel a call at Gre-Tan.

</div></div>

Gre-tan is a class act business all the way. Great work and reasonable prices. Glad you found someone to do the work for you!

<span style="color: #3333FF">If I had any idea that Gre-Tan would do the work I could have saved myself a LOT of trouble! I incorrectly presumed he would decline the work, because Mausers are somewhat trickier than Remington 700's to dial-in.

The outstanding price quote I was given, which I will NOT repeat, INCLUDES bushing the bolt firing pin hole, truing up the bolt locking lugs, AND adding a bushing to the rear of the bolt – all operations I had never even thought to have done – I was just going to lap the bolt lugs in the old fashioned way!

This is better than any Christmas I ever had!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: japple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gre-tan is a class act business all the way. Great work and reasonable prices. Glad you found someone to do the work for you! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quick Karl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #3333FF">
300Sniper, a member of this forum, has a perfect fixture, (looks large enough and uncomplicated, but he is not "a gunsmith business". I've asked what the cost would be to purchase a fixture like his, from him, but haven't gotten a reply yet.</span> </div></div>

i had not responded yet because i am still thinking about if i really wanted to make another one and if so, how much time would be involved and material costs. it sounds like you have it covered now anyways.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Because I like blue </span>
grin.gif