• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking at a diesel SUV

GlockandRoll

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Austin, TX
Not really a lot of options out there, aside from the BMW X5, Audi Q7, Merc GL (ML is too small), and VW Touareg TDI.

Does anyone here have experience with these they can share?

The Touareg is a value leader, and the Audi looks the best IMHO and they have great diesels from what I've read.

The BMW's are plauged w/electrical gremlins from what I hear, but there are a lot of used X5 diesels on the market to choose from, both new and used.

Any help is appreciated.

And yes, it's got to be diesel, after my E320 CDI merc, I'll never go back to #2 petrol.. I'm a convert for life.

Re: Looking at a diesel SUV

Audi and VW are basically from the same maker. Both brands are reliable.

Mercedes are great cars, and I would be divided between the Audi and the Mercedes.

I'm not BMWs biggest fan, so I'll leave it at that.

My money would go towards the Audi.

Damned thing sure does look good in white in S-line trim also.

Sure are 'spinsive! Why does everything I like makes me poor, sick, or fat?
smile.gif

How do you get into it, extension ladder?

Mercedes AMG is the way, Audi would be my second pick.

We have a 08' Touareg V10TDI - Its a beast! I know quite a few people who think the VW is a joke..and honestly the V6/V8 versions are nothing to be impressed with however our TDI is luxury through and through. This vehicle is Lady clawz' daily driver and she runs about 45mins either way to work...avg mileage is coming in at 18mpg but for a 5500# vehicle thats pretty sweet. I also like that I can pull onto an interstate from a dead stop and be up to cruising speed within 5 seconds...

Now..if your looking at an Audi/VW I will offer this information... The Q7/Touareg EATS tires and brakes. If you do your research be prepared to cover the expense of tires and brakes/rotors. The rotors get one turning and then they are shot - lots of sensors. I highly suggest a dual set of seasonal tires/rims. I installed a set of Hankook tires on her car about 3 months ago and they appear to be wearing very well...highly reccomend ClubTouareg.com for more info on Q7/VW. A nice option is to locate a very clean CPO vehicle which would carry a warranty and be broken in already.
The Touareg is a nice car and the Audi/Porsche Cayenne are sisters to it...would I own the Porsche (absolutely not) the Audi we had for a 12mo lease and I did not like little features..but the Touareg was overall the nicest and most fitting to our needs. It is very trail capable and will tow anything you can hook to back. I pulled my BIL's 25' boat with no problem...
Drop me a PM if you need help going forward on a VW/Audi.

I purchased my wife a 2009 Audi TDi fully loaded. This is an extremely nice vehicle. She gets 22 around town and 33 on the highway, if that means anything to you. My brother purchased his wife a BMW X5 Diesel and he was impressed with the mileage my wife's Audi got. Here's the thing it's a V6 that has 225 horse power and 405 lbs of torque; also, it is over 6000 lbs. We have friends that have a Touareg V6 TDi and that does not get as good of mileage as my wife's Audi.

I would say check them all out and see what fits your needs. My wife doesn't tow anything I do and that's why I have a truck. She just runs the kids around in her vehicle so fuel mileage was important to us. Good luck.

Note: My wife's Audi gets better than the sticker said it would for fuel mileage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a real Diesel "SUV" lol
1009_8l_01+diesel_truck_news+ford_excursion.jpg

</div></div>

I love the snowboard racks on top. What a useless vehicle!

edit: Maybe they are for wakeboards? Either way, southern california is bursting at the seems with rigs like that. Shake my head every time I see one.

To the OP, I prefer the Audi. I like their entire line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blueclawz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have a 08' Touareg V10TDI - Its a beast! I know quite a few people who think the VW is a joke..and honestly the V6/V8 versions are nothing to be impressed with however our TDI is luxury through and through. This vehicle is Lady clawz' daily driver and she runs about 45mins either way to work...avg mileage is coming in at 18mpg but for a 5500# vehicle thats pretty sweet. I also like that I can pull onto an interstate from a dead stop and be up to cruising speed within 5 seconds...

Now..if your looking at an Audi/VW I will offer this information... The Q7/Touareg EATS tires and brakes. If you do your research be prepared to cover the expense of tires and brakes/rotors. The rotors get one turning and then they are shot - lots of sensors. I highly suggest a dual set of seasonal tires/rims. I installed a set of Hankook tires on her car about 3 months ago and they appear to be wearing very well...highly reccomend ClubTouareg.com for more info on Q7/VW. A nice option is to locate a very clean CPO vehicle which would carry a warranty and be broken in already.
The Touareg is a nice car and the Audi/Porsche Cayenne are sisters to it...would I own the Porsche (absolutely not) the Audi we had for a 12mo lease and I did not like little features..but the Touareg was overall the nicest and most fitting to our needs. It is very trail capable and will tow anything you can hook to back. I pulled my BIL's 25' boat with no problem...
Drop me a PM if you need help going forward on a VW/Audi.</div></div>

Thanks a lot for the info... this is helpfull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased my wife a 2009 Audi TDi fully loaded. This is an extremely nice vehicle. She gets 22 around town and 33 on the highway, if that means anything to you. My brother purchased his wife a BMW X5 Diesel and he was impressed with the mileage my wife's Audi got. Here's the thing it's a V6 that has 225 horse power and 405 lbs of torque; also, it is over 6000 lbs. We have friends that have a Touareg V6 TDi and that does not get as good of mileage as my wife's Audi.

I would say check them all out and see what fits your needs. My wife doesn't tow anything I do and that's why I have a truck. She just runs the kids around in her vehicle so fuel mileage was important to us. Good luck.

Note: My wife's Audi gets better than the sticker said it would for fuel mileage.
</div></div>

Thanks, I've been hearing that also.
Audi's get the best MPG, and the X5 is plagued with mechanical gremlins but is the nicest ride on the street.