• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking at getting a couple of steel targets

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
Sorry i wasnt sure which section to post this so if a Moderator feels its in the wrong place please move it!
blush.gif

Anyways im looking at getting some Action targets steel plates, the AR500 steel and i was just curious. If shooting them with a .223 and either Hornady V-Max bullets and/or Sierra HPBT bullets how far would one need to shoot in order to not damage the plate? i know that they will eventually wear out but i dont want to put major dimples in the steel, if not necessary.

If one was shooting at the 400 yard range would it be safe to use FMJ?

While im at it whats everyones favorite shapes? I was looking at a 12 inch circle and a 40% ISPC Torso or an 8x12" rectangle.

Re: Looking at getting a couple of steel targets

I have a 40% IPSC i would love to have one with a hostage or center flapper.

The lollipops are fun too.

I shot one at 60 yards and divoted it with 223 but at 100 and further itll last you longer than you care to think.

The only ar500 target I've seen "worn out" was hit with a 50BMG at the 500ish yard range and it started to bend.

Those Hostage targets would be fun but one of those would cost me more than two of the other targets.
shocked.gif

anyone have any other steel target companies? that are producing some stuff similar to the Action Target Evil Roy line?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone have any other steel target companies? that are producing some stuff similar to the Action Target Evil Roy line? </div></div>
Well, there are these guys and this outfit from Los Vegas . They are all rather expensive but pretty good quality.
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased targets/stand from Big Dog Steel and have been very happy with them. Service was excellent with fast delivery.

http://www.bigdogsteel.com/</div></div>
Thanks for the link, thats the first reasonably priced place I have seen. Will be ordering from there when ready

We shoot steel targets from 200 yards to 2000 yards, they hold up great. At the local Las Vegas precision rifle matches they are subjected to a lot of rounds from 200 meters to 600 meters and they keep on ticking.

www.lvsteeltargets.com maybe another one to consider. He has targets that fit in flat rate boxes so the shipping is affordable.

I got my steel from Big Dog Steel and Bobcat Steel and both are gtg and hide sponsors.

Those LV steel targets dont look bad but i dont like their stands. I like the Action Target ones becuase they look like they would be easier to get set up, were i live we dont have many areas that are flat to get targets stood up on. Im still leaning towards the AT Evil Roy just for their stands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased targets/stand from Big Dog Steel and have been very happy with them. Service was excellent with fast delivery.

http://www.bigdogsteel.com/</div></div>

+1 for Big Dog Steel. Great customer service, and fast shipping.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I remember seeing someone selling steel targets on flexible rods that moved all over the place when hit. I think they were 6" round targets. Anyone know who makes anything like this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my steel from Big Dog Steel and Bobcat Steel and both are gtg and hide sponsors. </div></div>

+1

and if you wait till they run a group buy or something, you can get a decent deal.

Regards,
DT