• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking at getting a good AR 22

Mark williams

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2013
Alabama
What are some good options in a 22 AR setup as for as reliability, accuraccy and overall good gun. I will be using it for practice of getting more reps in shooting. Thanks!

I have two practice uppers. I have a dedicated .22lr upper from Model 1 sales and the Crosman mar177 PCP pellet gun upper. They both user my SR lower so I get consistent trigger pull. I get more use out of the mar177, because I can just step into the garage and fire into my pellet trap. It is a nice way to unwind after work.

Are you wanting a conversion or a AR 22 platform? The S&W 15/22 is probably the best AR 22. You can change the handguard and the trigger to your liking.It's a great little platform for training w/o the cost of the didecated uppers.

I know they work and all, but the CMMG style conversions aren't what I would consider. Throwing .22" rounds that like 1/16" twists down a 1/7" or 1/9" twist .224" gas ported bore isn't my idea of acceptable.

Last edited:
build an upper from CMMG parts. i like their barrels because they arent carbon fiber tensioned and dont have the issues when run suppressed.

DPMS upper from Midway. Basically a rebranded Nordic.

This +10k

Nordic Components NC22/ DPMS 22 upper is one of the most reliable designs on the market. I actually have a rare Nordic upper that will eat just about ANY brand of bulk pack 22LR without issue. Typically they need cleaned between 1k-1.5k rounds.

Mine plus 2 tax stamps:
9f42eac4-9f27-453f-98f1-5cda9cd98b53_zpsed540cf1.jpg

JP is making a 22LR AR now. I am sure it is pricey and I am also sure it is good. They don't make anything bad.

They have been making one for a few years and using the Nordic bolt design. I think they recently re-designed some things to be compatible with all their upper receiver types, but making their own bolts based on the Nordic design.

I LOVE me some JP, and they make top shelf kit. However, IMO they have priced themselves very high in the 22LR upper market for no apparent reason.

Here is a review from USMC Chet on his JP-22 upper

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ust-put-money-down-jpcn22-upper-now-pics.html

I know they work and all, but the CMMG style conversions aren't what I would consider. Throwing .22" rounds that like 1/12" twists down a 1/7" or 1/9" twist .224" gas ported bore isn't my idea of acceptable.

What are the issues with a conversion like this? I have a cheap 5.56 upper from PSA and was thinking about using it for a 22lr conversion. Mainly for the indoor ranges and the kids to shoot.

Smith and Wesson MP15-22 hands down! These are fantastic rifles and everyone I know who has one including myself, has nothing but good things to say about it. I have had mine since they first came out and it has probably around 30,000 rounds through it if I had to guess, and it just keeps running strong and is still plenty accurate for a fun rifle for plinking and training.

I know that there are some good conversion kits out there, but for not much more money over a good conversion kit you can have a whole other AR15 rifle dedicated to 22lr. I would personally for sure opt for the MP15-22 over a conversion kit.

What are the issues with a conversion like this? I have a cheap 5.56 upper from PSA and was thinking about using it for a 22lr conversion. Mainly for the indoor ranges and the kids to shoot.
They function for the most part, that much has been proven, but don't expect accuracy to be there. I misspoke earlier, what I get for typing out a quick post without proofing it, but rimfire like 1/14" twists or more, typically 1/16". My main issue with it is they are dirty, very dirty, and I don't want to put that into my rifles. The other issue is sights, I don't want to rezero or offset aim when I'm shooting as that defeats the purpose of practice.

The dedicated upper is the best way to go if you are willing to invest into it.

Thanks guys on the input. Sorry so long to respond as workload kicking my butt right now. I'm going to look at the mp 22 real close. As for factory rifles they have had great reveiws. Thank you guys for all the great info.

I built a dedicated .22AR and it was one of the best gun decisions I've made. I tried going the route of the GSG .22 (MP5 clone) and that thing was awful. So I decided to spend the $$ and build a kickass .22. So this is the CMMG bolt group and CMMG barrel in an AR upper and lower. Yes, to those who are very observant, that's a pmag in there. It was handy so I stuck it in to take the pick.

IMAG0665.jpg

IMAG0662.jpg

This +10k

Nordic Components NC22/ DPMS 22 upper is one of the most reliable designs on the market. I actually have a rare Nordic upper that will eat just about ANY brand of bulk pack 22LR without issue. Typically they need cleaned between 1k-1.5k rounds.

Mine plus 2 tax stamps:
9f42eac4-9f27-453f-98f1-5cda9cd98b53_zpsed540cf1.jpg

hey, i like that handguard profile. who makes it and what model is it? it doesnt look giant around the thin can.

You have a couple of options here.

1. Smith and Wesson 15-22 or 15-22 Performance Center. Hands down one of the best options you will find. Works like a normal AR, you can put your own trigger in it, all controls are the same, and even the breaks down the same. Feeds almost anything (they do ask you don't use stingers on the performance center model). But the PC model comes with a two stage match trigger, match barrel, lapped chamber, match chamber, and the list goes on. Its a full rail, and its threaded so you can silence it if you want (works find silenced). This is by far something you should look at.

2. 10/22 conversion. You can get ar stocks for the 10/22 including folding stocks. These do work ok, and allow you to run a custom barrel pretty easily. Ruger even makes the AR style magazines for it.

3. Umarex .22LR, these guys build the .22LR ARs for a lot of companies. Like HK, Colt, Walther and a couple of others. These work just fine, I had one for a while, but traded it for the much better smith and Wesson.

4. Conversion. I don't recommend you do this, unless you buy a barrel. Sure it works but its not ideal. I tried this, and the results were pretty terrible. 3 moa to be exact.