• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Looking Down from my job...

Re: Wind Farm where I work in Iowa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BIRD KILLER!!!! <-- please note said with sarcasm...

Cool pics. </div></div>

If you must know, that only happens along the West coast... "they say" as for Iowa..... they just explode bat's lungs when bats get near them....

It's a fun job, I have many pictures of the inside if interested..

I may be weird but I find those creepy. Seeing a bunch in the distance I start thinking of close encounters of the third kind (ufo's in general). I did get to ride up to one on a 4 wheeler and those blades are moving!!

This one didnt fair well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

I would love one in my back yard to tell you the truth. What do you do for them if you don't mind me asking?

I saw one of those things on rail cars down at the state docks. They were loaded with one empty flat bed rail car in between each blade so that there would be enough clearance to load those huge suckers. They also said they were built in Germany and that they had a motor turning the rotor from the time they left the assembly plant until the were erected. Do you know if they really do that?

David

I'm a Senior Field Engineer, as for the motor while transporting them, I believe that is when they are over the ocean only, and it's to keep the gearbox's oiled up and not sitting and rocking on the teeth.

Depending on area you could get between 4,000-12,000 a year per turbine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwilb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">around here i hear landowners get ~$15000/fan/year </div></div>

I work in Salina well 30 miles west on 70 at that site, I'll be there the 7th actually for 2 weeks. ENEL Energy owns those turbines and I guess they do pay alot more than in Iowa, they pay you a bonus for how much that turbine produces.... Wind Turbines cost 6cents per MW and coal is 2cents per MW.... Wind is only used for green credits so they can produce more Coal power..... just a little FYI...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love one in my back yard to tell you the truth. What do you do for them if you don't mind me asking? </div></div>

I troubleshoot the turbine and repair it, and at times have to preform maintenance....maintenance... sucks....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OUVarmintHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd love to find one of those posted up in the middle of a very large prairie dog town... </div></div>

There are turbines around P Dog towns.... That would be my dream as well.... but its a lot windier at 300ft

I love to visit the local (100+ miles away) wind farms here in Oregon. I find the whole idea both exciting and practical. However, we do have some land owners that are upset because they ruin their view and claim they cause everything from headaches to alien abductions. Yes, the bat and bird problems are mentioned as well, but IMHO, they are a sound and positive attempt towards a truly great source of clean power. We can choose to buy "blue sky" units on our electric bills. Not that much more in cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikkishot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I love to visit the local (100+ miles away) wind farms here in Oregon. I find the whole idea both exciting and practical. However, we do have some land owners that are upset because they ruin their view and claim they cause everything from headaches to alien abductions. Yes, the bat and bird problems are mentioned as well, but IMHO, they are a sound and positive attempt towards a truly great source of clean power. We can choose to buy "blue sky" units on our electric bills. Not that much more in cost.
</div></div>

They aren't as quite as people believe they are, I know I wouldn't want to live near them. They are clean power but it costs so much to produce, as a little part in a wind turbine can cost 800-5000$ and they break all the time, well the GE turbines do anyways. Plus what I'm charged out per hour is just crazy...

Glad ya'll have jobs, ( and I am all for Wind energy, and Solar)but this Carbon Credit shit, makes me puke.

Der Fueherer has said our energy bills will be MUCH higher soon.........

I am thinking , goofy fkr..............all that will do is drive MORE folks into selling homes, and moving to Apartments.
Even more mortgages defaulted on.

Sometimes I think these people never think ahead, about the consequences of their PC political actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad ya'll have jobs, ( and I am all for Wind energy, and Solar)but this Carbon Credit shit, makes me puke.

I am thinking , goofy fkr..............all that will do is drive MORE folks into selling homes, and moving to Apartments.

Sometimes I think these people never think ahead, about the consequences of their PC political actions. </div></div>

I agree, Wind isn't free like people think.... it's very expensive. It's be nice if I could just get a bunch of money, get solar panels and rain water collectors a few wind turbines and just live in the wild, hunt and gather.... F*CK OBAMA

As mentioned, wind is not an economic source of power in the current energy markets.

You can produce cheaper electricity with coal or natural gas. Until natural gas prices are constantly $15+ $/MMBtu, I don't think wind will be economically viable on its own.

Natural gas is wind's competition, and right now natural gas is cheap. If we start burning natural gas in our vehicles, I'm sure the demand for nat gas will go up and in turn the price, but I still doubt wind power would be economic.

I agree it never will be, it's just used as i said above

Re: Looking Down from my job...

Man, that picture freaks me out!! That's way the heck up there!
What are you on- a platform, or tied off to the structure? And how do you get up there!!? Ladder inside the main support?
This is not a job for people with a fear of heights!

I climb up the tube yes, I'm sitting in the nose cone hanging over the front....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WiNdTeCh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sitting in the nose cone hanging over the front.... </div></div>
Dude, FUCK THAT!!!!

it gets easier with time, it's like being on the ground after a while, you don't notice it, unless it's windy then it's like standing on a boat while there are white caps.... lol

Are you looking down at your job again?
laugh.gif

How about some through-the-rangefinder pics with the angle included?

oh and do you really think I live in IOWA.... do you put real info online?

edit: that was for another forum i was on the wrong page sorry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WiNdTeCh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh and do you really think I live in IOWA.... do you put real info online? </div></div>

Actually, around here...yeah. Especially if you want to sell anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WiNdTeCh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1081722&page=1</div></div>I'm not going to read all that, but you did get a relevant answer.

Rule #1 is: don't get drawn in to a pissing contest. Post; post in your defense if necessary; then let others have their say. Rule #2 is: keep and open mind and be willing to learn.

Why change the title of that post to something offensive? The danger in becoming too active an internet critic is that, no matter what you say, your posts tell everyone more about you than about the person you are criticizing. Letting others 'out' themselves really does work online.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WiNdTeCh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh and do you really think I live in IOWA.... do you put real info online?</div></div>I post 'real' information online all the time. There's a difference between witholding sensitive information for security purposes and deliberately misleading someone about inconsequential facts. The former is prudent; the latter, deceptive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WiNdTeCh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad ya'll have jobs, ( and I am all for Wind energy, and Solar)but this Carbon Credit shit, makes me puke.

Sometimes I think these people never think ahead, about the consequences of their PC political actions. </div></div>

I agree, Wind isn't free like people think.... it's very expensive. It's be nice if I could just get a bunch of money, get solar panels and rain water collectors a few wind turbines and just live in the wild, hunt and gather.... F*CK OBAMA </div></div>

Nice to see someone in the industry is honest about the problems of industrial wind. Industrial wind is an expensive, ineffective solution to a largely manufactured problem. That is unless the problem is defined as neighbors getting along too well, multi-national corporations not getting enough taxpayer funded handouts and governments not having enough control. In that case, wind works!

I'd go on but don't get me started...

I use to change light bulbs on towers. I hated it. I didn't mind water towers since they didn't sway... not to mention they rarely got over 150 high. Good money though. $1 per foot plus the hourly rate that was arranged.

As you said, it got easier. The only catch is any mistake up there is multiplied by the height.

If gasoline and coal had been as cheap comparitively to the current assumed cost of alternative energy sources at their onset of use(the most inefficient part of a technologies lifecycle) they would be nearly free at this point in time.

Instead the costs for use of these technologies has increased significantly and shows next to no sign of abating, as they all require a fuel source which has to be used and extinguished to accuire the energy, not to mention the obvious instability inherent in the collection of these resources.

The alternative sources available however will continue to decrease in cost rapidly as the technologies become more efficient and the competition drives us to newer innovations.

Which is the smarter investment? I'll leave you to do the math for yourself on that. Everyone's got their opinions.

I'm hedging my bets on technology and not continuing to do things the same way we always did before for the sake of saving a few bucks in the immediate present.

After all we are talking about finite vs relatively infinite energy sources here, and I don't believe waiting around for your problem to best you is part of the American innovative spirit.

Someone has to eventually find a replacement for these resources in human history. Why shouldn't it be us, and now? I feel like it's our birthwright to be the world leader and take charge of things like this.

Our value as a nation of manufacturers went the way of the do-do long ago, and our future as a country relies on our ability to be the creative genius that drives the world forward.

A lackadaisical approach to the future based on your current living situation isn't what made this country great in the first place, and it isn't what's going to propel us into the future.

That's just my opinion though. I know many of you would rather stick to the same old-same old and have China take the innovation reigns so we can buy yet one more mass produced technology from them in the future.

smile.gif

/idealism

I'm not arguing that we should not be looking to alternative energy sources. I am arguing that we should be using alternatives that make sense.

Wind provides no base load capacity and as such not a single traditional power generation source has been eliminated by wind. In fact, if you look to Europe where they (read the governments) have invested heavily in wind, you see them backing away because it does not work as advertised. It's too expensive, does not reduce greenhouse emissions and cannot replace traditional sources of generation. Germany is now looking to build more coal fired plants to back up their wind. If you want an alternative that works, go nuclear. That really is a smarter investment.

Wind energy is a drain on the economy leaving us fewer resources to actually innovate. Again, if you look at the evidence and not the feel good hype, you'll note the experience of countries like Spain that have seen wind destroy two jobs for every one created by "green" energy. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a2PHwqAs7BS0) I for one would rather see an economy fueled by true innovation instead of government manipulation.

Anyway, this isn't necessarily the place for a debate on the absence of merit in the push for wind power so I'll not go on. I would just encourage those interested to look at the evidence provided by many different groups, not just what has been popularized by the media and liberal symbolism over substance crowd. -out.