• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing looking for a bow for the wife

HOOFER

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2007
lewistown, MT, Colorado
i been looking for a bow for the wife, i just bought a new bowtech and figured id get her one so she can go to range with and enjoy it as well. anyway, i looked around and didnt see a specific womens line, my stepmother shoots a matthews, but my wife is 5' 1" so i need one that fits her, would a youth bow be okay? anybody have wives that shoot and if so what do they shoot.

thanks guys

Re: looking for a bow for the wife

Lone,
Bows' just like guns are sized close to the same in regards to women/youth. Mathews has a quite diverse line in that regard. The best thing for you to do would be find out her draw length first an go from there.
Check out www.archerytalk.com, they have A LOT of info there and a FS section. Once ya find what size ya need I'm sure ya could find it there pretty easy. Especially if ya get a post going like ya started here. People are always willing to help those who are new to the sport.
enjoy......ghogs

Lone last time my fiance had a bow, I took her with me to shop for it. Then if she picks it out it is hers. But then again mine has a problem with me picking things for her.

bowtech makes some nice youth/womens bows and the support the troops

There are plenty to choose from. Many Manufactures offer youth/ladies models. Hoyt, Martin, Diamond by Bowtech, Elite, Alpine. Kinda depends on what you want to spend. If she has never shot a bow then that might dictate what you spend for someone who might not enjoy it as much as you do.

One of the most perfect bows for a woman is the Redhead Micro XSC from Bass Pro Shops.

Short draw lengths and range from 30-50lbs and most importantly won't break the bank for a beginner.

ya i took her bowhunting with me a few times season before last and she loves it, so when i upgraded bows from my old pse i figured i need to include her. i planned on just taking her to a bowshop. she cares more about how it looks than practicallity so im sure shell want a pink target bow but oh well. ya i just wasnt seeing any "womens bows" on any of the major sites, so i assumed they just used youth sizes.

thanks guys

josh

Don't overlook the new Mission Menace (made by Mathews).. I shoot one for bowfishing and it's an awesome little bow. Adjustable without a press from 17-30 inces of draw length and 16-50lbs...

Comes in all camo or black riser w/ camo limbs

It's like a bow, except specifically made for a wife:

vaccuum.jpg

(I'm following this thread bc Im looking for a bow that my shoulder can handle after my recent surgeries, so keep the ideas coming!)

I bought my g/f a Diamond Black Ice 50-60#. She's pulling about 45lbs-47lbs.

Bow are just like shoes! Ya there all different models, colors, poundage ect. Most important thing is to take her to SEVERAL different bow shops and let HER pull different bows back. Just because one wife really likes a certain bow doesn't mean yours will like the same one. Ya Bowtec are nice bows but if you don't like a harsh cam and a stiff wall ud think it's crap. All bows will shoot the same place every time if it's well tuned and shot in a bow vice. Why they make all sorts of different designs and models.... same thing with shoes... jeans... and even rifle stocks. What ever feels the best to her is what she needs. O and one more thing... HOYT #1 lol

Matthews Mustang, the downfall is its 5.75" brace height. If she wants something lighter the Hyperlite or DXT is a good choice. If your 100% sure she would use it and enjoy it the Monster is the way to go. Get the 50-60lb model and it will shoot over 300 fps even set on lighter settings

Best choice IMHO. Same for my woman ...gotta keep them practicing...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought my g/f a Diamond Black Ice 50-60#. She's pulling about 45lbs-47lbs. </div></div>

What Moof said. Go to a good store and ask for help so that she gets to see and hold and pull every bow that's right for her. Did the same thing with my daughter last month.

What ever feels right to her, maths, I love. My old man was on the design staff with hoyt and many others in the 80's and 90's. Today the bowtech and hoyt, pse all make topline bows. Just don't over bow her so she stops, and if she wants pink, so me it, at least she is shooting

If you could post some pictures of your wife so we will know more about her size and shape, muscular definition, etc. we can offer more accurate advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lone_soldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ya i took her bowhunting with me a few times season before last and she loves it, so when i upgraded bows from my old pse i figured i need to include her. i planned on just taking her to a bowshop. she cares more about how it looks than practicallity so im sure shell want a pink target bow but oh well. ya i just wasnt seeing any "womens bows" on any of the major sites, so i assumed they just used youth sizes.

thanks guys

josh
</div></div>

If she wants to go bowhunting with you then there is nothing wrong with pink. Just paint the camo.