• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for a good mid-range spotting scope

Plasmech

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2009
First off, I'd like to say hi to all. I've been doing a lot of post reading on this forum lately and figured it was time to write one or two.

I'm looking for a good mid-range spotting scope. I don't want something super cheap (<$300) that will likely have shortcomings throughout now something too exotic that I'll be afraid to take out of my house. Something in the $500-$800 range. I've heard that the Kowa's are pretty good, is there truth to this? Thanks for any help!

By the way, I'm thinking nominally 60mm objective, anything bigger just doesn't seem super practical for range use, at least not where I live.

Re: Looking for a good mid-range spotting scope

Welcome to the Hide. Kowas are really nice, Ive always liked them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the Hide. Kowas are really nice, Ive always liked them. </div></div>

Thanks US. Do you have a particular model?

fer crissakes man, use the SEARCH function. Set the range to 'newer than one year', then get to reading. Your question has already been asked/answered a hundred times.

Gang, let's please quit feeding the newbies. Like squirrels at the park, it disrupts their ability to fend for themselves.

Point them to the archives, and let them learn how to make a sandwich instead of throwing them yours.

Nothing personal to Plaz, but you dudes should FIRST search the archives high and low, and then try Google, and you'd be amazed.

I just picked up a Leupold Sequoia 20-60x 80mm with the 45 degree eyepiece and it's not bad for the money $400ish for the package including a tripod and hard case with neoprene carry bag. I tried it out the other day and it's actually pretty clear upto 40x and usable at 60x. The tripod is a joke, it's flimsy and too flexible to adjust with any sort of precision; it does stay put once you get it set though. Not a "high end" spotting scope by any stretch, but works fine enough a 40x. YMMV

I'm considering the Nikon Fieldscope or a Kowa right now. Hopefully I can't go wrong with either...

Of those two the Kowas impress me more then the Nikons I've used.But they are kinda big for field use.

I just bought a Pentax ED 80mm and love it so far. I understand that the Pentax ED 65mm is in your price range and has some good reviews.

Thanks. Also considering the <span style="font-weight: bold">Bushnell Excursion 20-60 x 80</span> with ED glass. That's the cheapest ED scope out there. Wonder if it's any good. Clearly Bushnell was trying to hit the exact point on the price curve before diminishing returns kicked in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fer crissakes man, use the SEARCH function. Set the range to 'newer than one year', then get to reading. Your question has already been asked/answered a hundred times.

Gang, let's please quit feeding the newbies. Like squirrels at the park, it disrupts their ability to fend for themselves.

Point them to the archives, and let them learn how to make a sandwich instead of throwing them yours.

Nothing personal to Plaz, but you dudes should FIRST search the archives high and low, and then try Google, and you'd be amazed. </div></div>

x2!

Point taken but replies like this are pretty much...spam.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911.it</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fer crissakes man, use the SEARCH function. Set the range to 'newer than one year', then get to reading. Your question has already been asked/answered a hundred times.

Nothing personal to Plaz, but you dudes should FIRST search the archives high and low, and then try Google, and you'd be amazed. </div></div>

x2! </div></div>