• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns looking for a new knife , any oppinions

JJones75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2008
southern , LA
Ive about narrowed down my search to
the Benchmade "583 Warn Barage"
and
Emerson CQC-7B

both are almost close to same price , what im looking for is a great blade , reliable lock and good hand fit for the last one im leaning toward the Benchmade.

any other knives out their i should be looking at?
a friend recomended the Cold Steel Recon-1 but its a bit big for day to day carry i think though ive never got my dick beaters on one

Re: looking for a new knife , any oppinions

I own three SOGs and they sharpen easily and hold an edge. I also really like the spring assist in my folders from them. I have put them through hell and they still are good knives

Don't buy anything from Cold Steel.

Look at Zero Tolerance and possible Hinderer depending on budget.

The Recon 1 is a BIGGG bitch when the blade is deployed. But when it's folded, it's really not cumbersome for EDC.

I also have a couple SOGs and they get my stamp of approval.

Of the two you listed, I like the Emerson but I'm a sucker for waveable tanto blades.

Wave CQC-7x is a great knife, IF you can find one in stock. That is usually the challenge. Definitely the one I'd get.

I have a pre-Wave CQC-7A and a Wave SOCFK, and the Wave is where it's at. I seriously wouldn't get an Emerson without it.

Benchmade Blackwood Rukus here. A big folder, but carries well. I use it for everything a rancher and hunter needs it for. I bought a second one just in case I mess one up and they discontinue it. I've been carrying it for 5 years.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/610

I just got a 581 barage and its a really nice knife. Also have an Emerson, and I like it, except I have a tough time keeping it sharp. Wouldn't own an Emerson without the wave. Pm fdsniper when you buy one, he got me a damned good deal on the 581.

For an Emerson you need a Diamond stone. I like the one from Smith's.

Make sure to check out the Emerson website for the proper, specific way to sharpen an Emerson knife.

It's very important.

I use a rough Norton, then Arkansas stones, but when I try to strop it on leather it seems to dull it.

emerson with the wave. I like the cqc-7aw. faster deployment than an auto and they're just about bullet proof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any other knives out their i should be looking at?</div></div>It depends.

What is your skill level and training?
What is its intended use?
Do you use reverse grip?

I've owned both you are looking at and no longer have them. I've been through lots of knives and have found that for the price and quality, fit, finsh, size, durability and weight, nothing beats the Spyderco Para2 or the Military.. choose a blade lenght and buy.. you won't be disappointed. Para's run about $100 and the Military can be had for about $130

I recommend the Emerson CQC-7B with wave. I don't think anything deploys faster that a waved Emerson. Plus if you want to open it like a normal folder, you can do that to. They are a durable and dependable knife as well.

Please, for the love of everything holy, do not buy anything made by Cold Steel. The owner is an idiot who makes responsible gun owners look bad.

Emerson's are nice, I have one of the roadhouse's. But I would take a look at the Strider's. They're a bit more, but amazing craftsmanship. Built like tanks.

For the a lower price knive, the Benchmade Griptilian ($90-100) is hard to beat, or the mini griptilian ($60ish) for the smaller one. They comfortable, solid lock up, and nice movement. I used one earlier this year in the woods and held up great.

goodluck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any other knives out their i should be looking at?</div></div>It depends.

Do you use reverse grip? </div></div>

No reverse grip
the knife will be more of a tool than anything only used as a weapon when i can't cary a gun.
I have a little formal training but not enough to say i was profecient knife fighter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">emerson with the wave. I like the cqc-7aw. faster deployment than an auto and they're just about bullet proof. </div></div>

I'm thinking about picking one of these up. I currently carry a commander, but I'm not a fan of the blade profile. The 7AW looks to have the most useful shape of the waved Emersons.

Just my personal two cents...I have sold all my expensive ($100+) knives and gone to common Gerber blades you find at Wally World. First of all they are $30 bucks a piece and second of all when you just totally wear it out you drop it in the trash can and find another. It has saved me money and I haven't noticed a "drop" in performance. They still cut and kill the same as an Emerson...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pistol Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just my personal two cents...I have sold all my expensive ($100+) knives and gone to common Gerber blades you find at Wally World. First of all they are $30 bucks a piece and second of all when you just totally wear it out you drop it in the trash can and find another. It has saved me money and I haven't noticed a "drop" in performance. They still cut and kill the same as an Emerson... </div></div>

Yes, the price is a good point. I have quite a bit of Gerber's in my care. Just about all of them I suppose, even multi-tools.

Yes Pete is right. The price should be dependant on need, not what you think is cool. Plenty of knives will serve you well too.

My butt has a Super CQC-7 that has been my EDC for about 8 years. Since then I've had Gerbers, one SOG, a CRKT, and some others, but I've always gone back to the Emerson.

Like I said in a previous topic, it has as many nicks and dings as me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any other knives out their i should be looking at?</div></div>It depends.

Do you use reverse grip? </div></div>

No reverse grip
the knife will be more of a tool than anything only used as a weapon when i can't cary a gun.
I have a little formal training but not enough to say i was profecient knife fighter</div></div>

Blades augment firearms usage very well in close.

They both have ranges that they excel at.

Pro-tech makes some sweet autos. Emerson got together with them and did a limited edition. I like the SOG autos also, slim design.

I have no formal, or informal for that matter, training in the combative use of the knife, but I carry and use 1 or 2 every day as a tool.

I really like Benchmade knives and I have quite a few. I like the Stryker (Mod 910), but in my pocket today is the 580 (?) Warren Osborne design assisted opener with the axis lock. I don't think you can beat this knife for price and features.

I have the Benchmade Emmerson that they did a few years ago, I like it, but it is a big knife to carry, and it is a single bevel design. Think about that. It might not be something you want to work with.

I have Gerber, really like their new LHR combat knife, but not a daily carry blade for sure.

Also in my 5.11's today I have my Spyderco Police semi serrated. Razor sharp, reliable, but a little heavy perhaps as it is all steel. I worry a little about my hand slipping down onto the blade if I have to make a hard thrust into a tough surface.

I like my Bladetech Wegner Professional hunter, 440C and razor sharp, pocket clip, hole in the blade and it locks solid. Jimping at 3 points on the blade for choking up on the blade and fine detail work. I love it.

I also think that CRKT are great value for money. I have the M16, but the real gem for me is the M1, stubby little blade, part serrated, great lock with a safety lever, and it REALLY fits my hand well.

I have DOZENS of knives, I like them all, but I reach for the same few more often than not.

For a using knife rather than a 'looking at' knife, I would say that there are many great knives at your price point. Forget the interweb, sure you can buy cheap online, but get into a proper cutlery shop and TRY the knives in your hand. I think that a knife that fits <span style="font-style: italic">YOUR</span> hand is going to be better than looking for a specific named brand. The CRKT M1 was a real eye-opener to me. I could not believe how well it fit my hand, it's so comfortable, and <span style="font-size: 14pt">THAT'S</span> what's going to be important in a working knife.

I've got most of the brands mentioned and they're all good. My 0.02c? Down to how it feels in your hand. Choose any of the brands mentioned and pick the most comfortable.

Sorry to have gone on a bit, but I love knives almost as much as I love firearms!

Neil

I used to collect Benchmades, Spydercos, and Chris Reeve Knives. I say collect because I didn't use them very much, so I sold them and bought gun stuff. I haven't been following the newer models they released in the last couple years, but here is my take on the two knives.

Emerson CQC-7B:
I was never a fan of Emersons. Also not a fan of tanto style on folders. Steel is just 154CM, not very durable if you use your knife a lot. Locking mechanism is just a liner lock. Nothing wrong with it, but I feel that it's the weak point of the knife. Most liner locks are just a thin piece of metal holding the blade in place, but at least Emerson uses titanium. I would go with a frame lock over a liner lock as a similar locking mechanism. Handle material is G-10, which I prefer over Zytel. G-10 looks and feels nicer than Zytel.

Benchmade 583:
Steel is only 154CM. Again, not a fan of tanto on folders. Handle material is Valox, which is just another form of Zytel. AXIS locking mechanism > liner lock. I'm a big fan of the AXIS locking mechanism.

If you are looking at one of the newer Benchmade offerings, I would go with the 470 Emissary. The blade material is S30V, the very minimum I would use on an EDC. It has a clip point blade, which has a large cutting surface and sharp point. Has the AXIS locking system. Very nice billet aluminum handles.

If you are okay with oldies but goodies, I would also look at the 710 or 943.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">emerson with the wave. I like the cqc-7aw. faster deployment than an auto and they're just about bullet proof. </div></div>

I'm thinking about picking one of these up. I currently carry a commander, but I'm not a fan of the blade profile. The 7AW looks to have the most useful shape of the waved Emersons.</div></div>

Yup, that's why I went with that one. Easy to maintain edge, no serrations, drop point workable for dressing out game if you have to. The steel used is near ideal: used 'em to open several steel cans in a row and it still cuts paracord after, yet relatively easy to sharpen with diamond stones. Still haven't even come close to wearing out an Emerson, even the one that's the daily.

Not bashing Benchmade, have a few, but the heft, material & quality of Emersons are a cut above. No damn hex/allen screws (only slotted or phillips), screws thread into titanium liner instead of scales, G10 spacer instead of plastic, better thumb stud, locking mech., clip, wave, etc. Haven't had to send an Emerson back yet, can't say the same of Bench.

I am probably going to re-profile the chisel edge to a conventional v-grind, the chisel don't cut shit straight, but I understand and will keep Ernie's grind on the 7B.

Another vote for Emerson w/ wave. I carry the CQC-7 (tanto) mini for edc.

One thing on all the Emersons I've had (5 of them) is that the detent is not very good and you had to tighten the pivot so much that it was really hard to open. The blades always seemed to want to partially open if turned upside down (spine to ground).

Go over to BladeFourms and pay the $10 or whatever the base memebership is and do some serious reading. You'll see the cream that rises to the top in your particular price range. Then go buy a few used ones in the Exchange. I rarely buy new knives anymore b/c of the great deals that can be had on "like new" knives guys sell that were just sitting in their collections and safes. A good knife is hard to beat up, and easy to put an edge back on with the right tool.

I love an Emerson knife - very well made, and of course the inventor of the "wave". I am convinced the wave is *the* most elegant, trustworthy, useful and easiest to use blade deployment "system".

That said, they sure are pricey.

Maybe consider the spyderco endura/delica, which licenses the emerson wave design.

I prefer the Benchmade 5000 even though it's a fairly bulky knife compared to my other favorite,a Microtech LUDT.The Benchmade is an ambi auto-axis that locks up tighter than any other folder I've ever used,blade is stout as hell,and the grip is good even when wet,muddy,or fish slime on your hands.Thing I don't like about either company is that they refuse to honor warranty,or any repairs on an automatic knife unless you are a LEO or Active Military.Bunch of BS as many of us live in States where Automatic Knives are totally Legal......

img0164ow7.jpg

My favorite folder for the last 15 yrs has been the benchmade 710. I've carried an old on with ats-34 blade for years.

I picked a limited run with the blade made of m390 and couldn't be happier.

it's a royal PIA to sharpen but holds a good edge so sharpening it is rare.

I put a convex edge on it the day it arrived. the factory edge looked more like a saw blade than a knife blade.

Gerbers are a good value, but I've broken the blade on those a few times. I haven't had that happen with a Strider yet. Granted, you can just get a new one and still be out less money, but at the time it breaks you're knifeless.

You will never go wrong with any of Ernie's blades and the CQC B7 is definitely among the tops in his line. Also check out his Commander series.

I too will join the Emerson lovefest.

I don't see any reason to use anything else. Love the wave feature.
My preference in order: Super CQC7, CQC11, CQC7.
Only Emerson I owned and didn't really like was a Super Commander. It was just too unwieldy with that size and blade shape. I do have a COmmander that is my beater and it works much better at its original size.

I like the 4" cold steel ti-lite it's small feels good in hand and solid as and 1 hand opening I wish they still had the triple actions they were nuts bit wanky but I collect knives so wanky is ok

I would look at emerson or zero tolerance. Blade thickness and durability, as well as secure grip and heftiness are considerations that few other companies match up with the ones I mentioned.

I've got a waved Delica that I bought to replace a Minigrip, and so far I like it a lot. VG10 seems to hold up well and it opens scary fast once you get the hang of it. The handle is nice sized for bigger mitts too.

Second that - my SOG twitch xl is the best knife I've ever owned. Durable and well priced. My 2 cents - Good luck.

I EDC an ESEE Izula II. It's a great little knife, although it's a fixed blade. It's less than $100 bucks & it has an unconditional, no questions asked lifetime warranty. You can break it in half with a hammer & they'll replace it. It's made by Rowen in the good ol' USA too! Check it out!

http://www.eseeknives.com/izula-II.htm

I carry a Benchmade Griptillian, and i have done so every day for a few years now. I use it for everything from food prep, carving, opening ammo cans, shaving when i have to and even finishng off a ctitter or two. I love the strength and speed of the AXIS lock. i used to only carry assisted open knives, but since this, i havent felt the need. the blad is well designed, and the steel even though its 154cm still holds up well with just a little bit of TLC. The Griptillian lives up to its name, the checkering is sharp and functional and feels great in the hand even in a reverse grip. i think i paid... $70 for it? its been a long time, and that was on base. not sure of the prices on the "outside".
Highly recomended.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite folder for the last 15 yrs has been the benchmade 710. I've carried an old on with ats-34 blade for years.

I picked a limited run with the blade made of m390 and couldn't be happier.

it's a royal PIA to sharpen but holds a good edge so sharpening it is rare.

I put a convex edge on it the day it arrived. the factory edge looked more like a saw blade than a knife blade. </div></div>

x2
but mine has a D2 blade. I see absolutely no reason to go with a different blade steel its been sharpened like twice in 5 years.

This seems like a handy little attitude adjuster...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e-p4YmUJ4PA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e-p4YmUJ4PA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I like how he has a band aid on his thumb. More practice
wink.gif

CRKT make some nice cheap blades that lock up tight and keep a nice sharp edge. They have plenty that are suitable for everyday carry.