• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns looking for a new large fixed blade

roxas

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
maryland
so recently my condor Dundee bowie was misplaced,
so I'm in the store for a new large fixed blade and I have been currently looking at several knives

Ontario RTAK II Knife

Ontario Spec Plus Marine Raider Bowie

Ontario Spec Plus Gen II SP50

Buck Hood Hoodlum Hunting Knife

Cold Steel Trail Master

Ka-Bar Becker BK9

Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie

I've mainly been looking at the RTAK II but it was before I found reports of this knife snapping while batoning that is where I started looking at these other blades

does any one have any personal experience with any of these blades? if so please share and suggest

it's purpose will be for camping/survival/carry (I travel every now and then to a neighboring state that allows fixed bladed carry of any length)

I was also looking at the buck hoodlum but deals the same fate with the RTAK II with reports of snapping (generally where the notch is located on the blade)

any help is greatly appreciated

ESEE 6. Great knives, no hassle warranty, right in that price range. Also check out some of Becker's stuff.

Of those I would look at the Becker BK-9. Also consider the ESEE series. Great guys to deal with.

Out of the ones you spoke of IMHO the Cold Steel Trail Master is your best bet. With a quarter inch thick spine and the grind you cannot go wrong. It's a wedge.

The ESEE 6 is great also but it looks like you are leaning toward a 9" or greater blade since you mentioned batoning.

I have messed around with every knife you mentioned and all are decent for the money. Although, for a few dollars more you could venture into Scrap Yard knives or Swamp Rat knives. Check out their 9" blades. I have no experience with one but that's what I am stashing cash for right now. However these knives do not come with a sheath..... You can either build one, use a codura sheath from another knife you may have, or search on eBay for a kydex sheath for it.

I did save up and purchased a Grayman knife, the Pemburu, and it is a freakin beast! Pricy for a 1095 piece of metal but the warranty is good til God comes.

Also remember that every knife is subject to break just be sure it has a good warranty! Hope this helps

Last edited:
As others have said, ESEE is real nice or the Swamprat Ratmandu is a good field blade. I would trust both of these in a SHTF scenario.

some of these manufacturers ive never heard of! thank you all very much,

Oklahoma yes i was leaning towards 9 or greater

those crusader forges are thicker than many i have seen. but maybe it is because they are shorter? i don't doubt you when you say it'll be the last one i buy

Last edited:
Carried a Cold Steel Laredo Bowie in Africa, Iraq, and Afghanistan indestructible, stays sharp, and even the Peshmerga wanted to play with it.

The Randall in a model 14 is a big blade, stays sharp and available in a stainless blade if desired. They are still an American Classic.