• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a top end bolt action rifle

agalmethu35

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2020
United States
I’m fairly new to bolt action rifles, I have a budget of around $3000 for a bolt action rifle, not including scope. I was looking at a Savage 10BA LE in 308. Any comments or thoughts are appreciated. I’m not looking for any brand in particular, just want high quality and extremely accurate bolt action rifle. Purpose will be to shoot at paper and general firearm collecting, maybe hunting in the future.

AI

Your welcome

$3k budget. Savage shouldn’t even be in this discussion.

Used AIAT pop up in the px around the $3k mark. $3,000-$3,300 would get you there. I paid just over $3k for mine

That’s factory option. You can always buy or assemble a custom for around that $$ point

There are several companies offering custom rifles for the PRS crowd that fall in at the 2000 to 2500 dollar mark.
Badrock Precision Southfork is one.
Pinnacle Production Rifle from GAP (limited run every year) is another.
Masterpiece Arms also makes one.
Just do a search for PRS production rifle, personally, if I was going to get one, it would likely be the GAP.
You will find that there are very nice rifles in that range of 2000-2500, going "top end" is going to run 4000 plus.
I'm a poor, I shoot rebuilt remingtons.

Reactions: YAOG
You could get a aiat
Or
Get a terminus or lone peak action, prefit barre and stock of choice. Don’t overlook a krg bravo because they’re cheap. A lot of people love them

If you like to tinker and are mechanically inclined you can build a smokin-ass rifle yourself for $3k. Pick any number of aftermarket actions and work from there. Just as an example, I’ll share the dream rifle idea that’s clanging around in my head; ARC Mausingfield action, sage green AI chassis, Bix n Andy trigger. These are more than your $3k price tag but there are plenty of ways to get under that cap

Reactions: gnochi
If you like to tinker and are mechanically inclined you can build a smokin-ass rifle yourself for $3k. Pick any number of aftermarket actions and work from there. Just as an example, I’ll share the dream rifle idea that’s clanging around in my head; ARC Mausingfield action, sage green AI chassis, Bix n Andy trigger. These are more than your $3k price tag but there are plenty of ways to get under that cap
Yep...that's what I was thinking. Please feel free, anybody with more experience, and correct me but this is kind of a cost using fairly generous numbers

Top quality custom action - $1,400
Top quality barrel blank - $400
Top quality trigger - $200
Gunsmithing for BA - $600
Chassis to mount it on - $1,000 (can spend more or can spend less and still get a good chassis)

Total - $3,600 and you end up with one fuck of a gun out of it.

Am I off base, guys?

I’m fairly new to bolt action rifles, I have a budget of around $3000 for a bolt action rifle, not including scope. I was looking at a Savage 10BA LE in 308. Any comments or thoughts are appreciated. I’m not looking for any brand in particular, just want high quality and extremely accurate bolt action rifle. Purpose will be to shoot at paper and general firearm collecting, maybe hunting in the future.
If you spend 3k on a savage Im gonna beat your ass.

If you want one to come all put together
2500 https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/...-20-6-5cm-nucleus-gen2-rifle-1200?category=15
3100 https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/product/archimedes-rifle-1203?category=15

Yep...that's what I was thinking. Please feel free, anybody with more experience, and correct me but this is kind of a cost using fairly generous numbers

Chassis to mount it on - $1,000 (can spend more or can spend less and still get a good chassis)

Am I off base, guys?
Or buy a prefit and save some cash on the smith costs

Reactions: Baron23
Or buy a prefit and save some cash on the smith costs

Which will also be a saving every time the barrel needs replaced moving forward.

Of course this may mean picking up some tools (if you don't already have them) but who doesn't like tools)........ :)

not sure what you're hunting involves, but you won't want to be schlepping around a heavy rifle in the high country, so keep weight in mind.

let's face it, you're going to end up with SEVERAL if not more rifles over time, so pick your specific use for this rifle (and let us know) and buy with that criteria. most do-it-all rifles don't do everything very well.

Am I off base, guys?
The only thing I see is the gunsmithing cost, most aftermarket actions are machines well enough that companies can just cut and chamber a barrel off the blueprints. All you need to do is tighten it down with a torque wrench. BUT, don’t let me talk anyone out of this if you aren’t comfortable tinkering with your own shit or just want someone to assemble a pile of rifle parts for you

A few more options would be to use a savage style barrel nut with go/no-go gauges. Or the barloc from ARC, which still needs gauges but you can tighten the barrel with a small spanner wrench and allen wrench

But I’ll also second what Spife said above, the ARC rifles are an amazing value. And please don’t spend your child’s tuition on a savage…

Reactions: Baron23
Which will also be a saving every time the barrel needs replaced moving forward.

Of course this may mean picking up some tools (if you don't already have them) but who doesn't like tools)........ :)
Unless you get a Qiuck Change system like the Zeus.... Two set screws and tighten by hand

Reactions: The D
As you narrow your search, question how long the "Wait Time" is going to be before you get it in your hands. Bring those numbers back here for validation. For the past 2 years I have had different items on the waiting list that took much, much longer than I was promised. On the other hand I have been told "I have it on the shelf and can ship tomorrow" and I had it in my hand in 3 days.

Building can be frustrating if you want it soon.
Buying a complete, new, unit "off the shelf" will mean you may have to make some sacrifices in your perfect weapon.
Buying used could work. There are some "Safe Queens" coming on the market as we speak. But, also, you could be buying someone else's problems.

Let the buyer beware.

not sure what you're hunting involves, but you won't want to be schlepping around a heavy rifle in the high country, so keep weight in mind.

let's face it, you're going to end up with SEVERAL if not more rifles over time, so pick your specific use for this rifle (and let us know) and buy with that criteria. most do-it-all rifles don't do everything very well.
This is just my opinion and I’m playing devil’s advocate a bit. With bolt guns evolving into firearm legos just like the ar platform there’s really no need to buy multiple guns unless you need a gun for a very specific purpose, like a leo gun or ulr rifle. If you need a bolt gun for hunting, prs comps, or fun gun it’s easy enough to buy one action and a pile of parts and accessories to assemble what you need when it.

Examples, using a LA Mausingfield that I fanboi over:

lightweight, close-ish range hunting gun to traipse through the woods) light hunting stock, light profile barrel, cheaper scope that won’t be a big deal to scrape up

longer range hunting gun to set up on a ridge and snipe delicious hooved animals) heavier hybrid stock and barrel, better scope, weight kit and bipod if needed, different bolt head for better longe range cartridge

prs comp or bangin long-range steel) fully adjustable chassis with all of the bells & whistles, premium barrel in your cartridge flavor of choice, best scope you can afford

I’m also not going to poo-poo anyone’s decision to buy separate guns for every scenario they envision. But I have just enough hook-nosed jew in me to notice this and want to save some $$ wherever I can

issue got solved!!

all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth or maybe a winning lottery ticket:unsure::unsure::giggle:

agalmethu35 = Douglas-001?

On that thread, of note, agalmethu35’s “issue got solvedd” as well lol

This is just my opinion and I’m playing devil’s advocate a bit. With bolt guns evolving into firearm legos just like the ar platform there’s really no need to buy multiple guns unless you need a gun for a very specific purpose, like a leo gun or ulr rifle. If you need a bolt gun for hunting, prs comps, or fun gun it’s easy enough to buy one action and a pile of parts and accessories to assemble what you need when it.

Examples, using a LA Mausingfield that I fanboi over:

lightweight, close-ish range hunting gun to traipse through the woods) light hunting stock, light profile barrel, cheaper scope that won’t be a big deal to scrape up

longer range hunting gun to set up on a ridge and snipe delicious hooved animals) heavier hybrid stock and barrel, better scope, weight kit and bipod if needed, different bolt head for better longe range cartridge

prs comp or bangin long-range steel) fully adjustable chassis with all of the bells & whistles, premium barrel in your cartridge flavor of choice, best scope you can afford

I’m also not going to poo-poo anyone’s decision to buy separate guns for every scenario they envision. But I have just enough hook-nosed jew in me to notice this and want to save some $$ wherever I can

I always love this idea in my head, then that second barrel/stock/scope magically grows it's own action and trigger too

agalmethu35 = Douglas-001?

On that thread, of note, agalmethu35’s “issue got solvedd” as well lol

Spam account, see the embedded link?

Alamo precision Rifles in Texas, prolly build a gun for close to $3k I pieced one together for about $3k by buying a Alamo barreled action.
custom guns are nice, forget savage, tikka and all that..

After doing this for more than 3 decades, I offer you this for consideration:

First, decide on an application. Exactly WHAT are you going to do with this firearm? All too often "gun nuts" get wrapped up over the parts list. It is important, however, a 16+lb rig chambered in 6BRX prolly doesn't make for a very good Bighorn Sheep rifle.

A lot of guys elect to buy the parts themselves. There's nothing wrong with that but know that it is very, very easy to make a mistake that can have big, expensive consequences. X10 if it's going to a shop for fitting that struggles with "divine intervention" type tasks. One example: A lot of shops loath having to alter a barrel channel. For us, it's a daily thing and not even worth having a discussion about.

Just remember APPLICATION FIRST. Make a list of features that are important to you and have a conversation with your shop of choice long before you start buying things. If they are too "busy" to talk to you, remember it's a big ocean with lots of well-vetted folk swimming in it.

All the best,

C.
LRI

Last edited:
Decide what you can spend on the scope and the rifle. A $1000 rifle with a $3000 scope will outshoot the reverse.

The take $1000 out of that to go take a class and rent the rifle.

Then borrow a rifle and go join a local club to shoot. Lots of ranges will loan a rifle as well.

If you have to buy, then get a used cheap rifle and a cheap scope with good reticle and in mils. Join a local club and learn as you go. Everything that can go wrong with the rifle will go wrong. But you will learn a ton as you fix the problems.

At the end of two years, you will have a lot of knowledge and skills and then can make an informed choice.

Just my 2 cents.