• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for advice on a cleaning rod.

Another advantage to the uncoated rods is that they will be stiffer then the same diameter coated rod.

May as well tag in @Frank Green, I know he's seen a barrel or two that have been wrecked due to poor cleaning practices. Any thoughts on coated versus uncoated cleaning rods?
Coated vs uncoated....the debate continues! I've seen no evidence of debris getting stuck in the coating of a coated rod and causing damage to the bore etc...that is like the biggest argument against them.

The all steel rods the concern is if the rod makes contact with the bore.....you got steel on steel against each other.

I myself use Dewey and Boretech. Mostly Dewey rods. The vast majority of what we use here is Dewey.

The biggest no no is using the multi jointed rods or a boresnake.

The main thing I say is use a good one piece cleaning rod (that your comfortable with ) with a freely rotating handle and a proper rod/bore guide.

Regardless of the type of rod used....if the handle/bearing is screwed up or too tight....ditch it.

If the patch is squealing going down the bore....the patch is too tight! Any debris/dirt has no where to go and is just getting jammed/forced against the bore of the barrel.

If the cleaning rod is flexing going down the bore...the patch/jag tip is too tight as well. Yes it could be from a improper rod guide by my personal opinion is the patch is too tight.

I've seen plenty of shooters at matches cleaning they're guns like they are trying to unclog a kitchen sink! When I see that happening...all I can do is chuckle and walk the other way. Yes I try and give advice about it but at times....but you can usually tell by the situation it's going to end up turning into a fight.

Think about it guys....you have in some cases $3k or more invested into the rifle....when you rebarrel it when it needs a new stick....you put about $700 into it each time. The cleaning products you use....are inexpensive in comparison to all the other stuff that goes along with your rifle. Buy decent cleaning equipment and take care of your gun. If you take care of your cleaning rod etc...it will last you a long time.

Reactions: kthomas and JC0352
I've had a Dewey 1 pc nylon coated rod for about 20 years. Some of the nylon coating has started to flake, so just bought a pair of (.22. and 270 to 45) Tipton rods about 2 months ago. So far, so good. I would have bought another Dewey, but the Tipton's were on sale and wanted to try them. Use the bore guide. Don't over patch to where you're bending the rod.

Tipton carbon fiber rods for me. They don't pick up stuff like coated Dewey rods. They're also flexible and return straight and true.