• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes looking for advice - trading out an IOR

captainbarred

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Schenectady, NY
Hey all,

A ways back I was on here looking for advice and got some great tips. I wound up going with an IOR 3-18x42 scope from Scott at Liberty Optics.

Well I found that I want something a little lower power, smaller, and lighter as I changed out guns and its going to be going on an SPR type AR15.

The 2-12x IORs are nice but just as hefty as the 3-18s and the 2.5-10 is about as big as the 3-18 but a good bit lighter.

In any case, I got an offer from a guy, wants to trade my 3-18 for his 2.5-10 + some cash. Hes offering a decent deal but I have one concern.

My 3-18 has the ever important certificate that is the warranty.

His 2.5-10 does not, and he got it used so I dunno how old it is.

Should I be hesitant to get a used IOR with no warranty? Or if it works from factory are they usually pretty trustworthy? I just worry about no warranty as I have heard of a good number of problems with the scopes...

If I sell it outright I was thinking about picking up a Leupy MR/T 2.5-8x instead of the IOR.

Any input and/or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

-Tim

Re: looking for advice - trading out an IOR

*Not an attack on IOR*

If you're having doubts about warranty issues whether it be with IOR or any other company I personally would not do it. And that would be my suggestion with anything you feel uncomfortable with.

You should sell the scope outright and get exactly what you're looking for. Whether it's the Leupold, another IOR or maybe even something else that someone here might point you toward. Make sure you get a scope with a warranty you won't worry about though.
wink.gif

I wouldnt want a IOR without warranty! Hell I wouldnt want a Suckpold with all the warrant in the world either!

Sell your scope and buy a USO, the last scope you will ever buy for that rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldnt want a IOR without warranty! Hell I wouldnt want a Suckpold with all the warrant in the world either!

Sell your scope and buy a USO, the last scope you will ever buy for that rifle.</div></div>

Suckpold? Really? Good to know we're all adults around here. You couldn't just suggest to the guy that you wouldn't recommend a Leupold and think that a USO would be a better option?(which I totally agree with you) Since when did this place start turning into the next arfcom? Sniper's Hide has changed a lot.

Oh, I also find it funny that in your Dan thread, everyone spelled ARROGANT incorrectly.

god please dont let Swamper see this thread. This will turn into a bash IOR from his end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">god please dont let Swamper see this thread. This will turn into a bash IOR from his end.</div></div>

LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rem700p</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldnt want a IOR without warranty! Hell I wouldnt want a Suckpold with all the warrant in the world either!

Sell your scope and buy a USO, the last scope you will ever buy for that rifle.</div></div>

Suckpold? Really? Good to know we're all adults around here. You couldn't just suggest to the guy that you wouldn't recommend a Leupold and think that a USO would be a better option?(which I totally agree with you) Since when did this place start turning into the next arfcom? Sniper's Hide has changed a lot.

Oh, I also find it funny that in your Dan thread, everyone spelled ARROGANT incorrectly. </div></div>

Yes, Suckpold! You dont like it, dont read it! And it was Dan himself that spelled ARROGANT incorrectly, that is a direct quote.

crazy.gif

In any case... I take it you guys mainly don't like the Luepy either
laugh.gif

I've heard nothing but good things about them, but don't really know anything about their CS...

To be honest I would love to get a USO or Nightforce, but I'm broke!

I'm in the process of buying a house, so I can really only afford to spend what I can get for my IOR. And having some extra cash left over would be VERY NICE.

The nightforce 2.5-10x32 isn't too bad but with the NP-R2 reticle, and I should be able to get enough to pick up one of those...

I'd love a USO, but I can't get one in the price range I am looking.

I'd like to stay around 1K max I think.

You can get a ST10 for about $1k, but there is nothing wrong with NF either. If it were me, I would save up a little bit and get the USO.

Yeah I'm looking for something low power for fast shots at as low as 25 yrds but can still reach out to 3-4 hundred yrds.

For the range you're looking for 2-12ish, I'd look at the USO SN3 1.8-10x, but that starts at $1500+ which is busts your budget. If the NF is in the budget then that would be my fall back, followed by the Leupold. Or if you're dead set on the Leupold, then it's not a bad optic, it's just not one of the "best".

I'm sure there are plenty of people on the board that have Leupolds and are quite happy with them. I used to own one, but I sold it to get higher magnification.

since you are trying to stay within a budget, dont count out the falcon menace. They are very well priced and seem to be pretty good as far as reviews. Well under your budget

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">since you are trying to stay within a budget, dont count out the falcon menace. They are very well priced and seem to be pretty good as far as reviews. Well under your budget</div></div>

+1
Good catch, forgot about that.
You can get Falcon 4-14x44 here pretty cheaply, if they're in stock.
http://www.rwsnydergunsmithing.com/secure-rwsnydergunsmithing/Scripts/default.asp

Another +1 on the Falcon 4-14 FFP, you can get one for under $400 and save up for a USO
wink.gif
then when you have enough money for a USO, the Falcon will sell real easy as it is a great budget scope! I have not seen a 4-14 Falcon last longer than a day in the for sale forum.

I think I am split right now between the Leupy and the Nightforce.

The Nightforce 2.5-10 won't be a lot more $$ than the Leupy(and I would think would be easier to re-sell as well) - but I have been reading up and it seems that leupy has a rock-solid warranty/CS department.

decisions decisions.... ah well, gotta sell the IOR first :lol:

i wouldnt count out the Falcon, from the reviews that i have read, they will hold their own with leupold as far as quality. I would put some serious thought into that Falcon 4-14 FFP mil/mil. Great features that you dont normally find on a scope that isnt NF,USO,S&B, Premier. Great price to. Nightforces are great optics i have a couple. Have some leupys to but nothing tacticool. The newer leupolds are that great, if you can find one that is a couple years old then the quality will be significantly greater than the newer ones.

PS
Im not trying to start a debate or flame war about leupolds

I will take a look at the falcons, but again, I'm looking for a more compact and lightweight scope. The Falcon is pretty much on par with the IOR I currently have. Heck the IOR has a lower bottom mag level.