• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for an 18" AR308 Barrel, down to Ranier Arms Ultramatch vs JP Supermatch

Volarus

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2023
Stateside
The rifle is an Aero Precision M5 receiver set with JP SCS and VMOS - it will be suppressed fwiw.
Scope is a SWFA 10x42 SS HD with a piggyback red dot.

Looking for feedback from someone who has a fair amount of experience with both barrels.
I'd ask that you don't get hung up on the fact that I'm using JP Internals and use that as reasoning to default to the JP barrel. I'm not too caught up on the JP Barrels coming with a bolt that's headspaced to the barrel, I feel like that's pretty much just marketing.

Cost wise they are virtually the same.
RA Ultramatch + JP Enhanced High Pressure Bolt: $450 + $229 = $679
JP Supermatch black teflon (comes with enhanced high pressure bolt) = $695 - JP would actually be a bit cheaper if I didn't add the black teflon coating which the Rainier doesn't have as an option).

I'll be using this rifle for both range and hunting. I am not and never will be a competition shooter, but I would still like a very nice shooting rifle.
Range would be mostly short to medium (50-400yard) mostly casual stuff with the occasional class/course thrown in for fun.
Hunting will be mostly <100 yard hog/deer/elk/black bear primarily in Northern Idaho.

On paper, these barrels are very similar with the most notable difference being that the RA is a 1:10 while the JP is a 1:11.25.
With my very limited knowledge it seems like based on twist alone – the JP probably does a hint better with lighter, faster loads while the RA’s slower twist likely does a touch better with heavier, slower loads. I would imagine that either would work quite well outside of the extremes.

So, I’d be very thankful for your knowledge and feedback between these two barrels for the given applications.

Maybe overkill for average shooting, but if you don't mind stainless finish instead of black and a little extra cost, Bartlein still has AR10 barrels in stock. Last line on page 1. These barrels they have listed are a customer over-run. So, they're made to spec of that customer (FYI - I didn't ask Bartlein who that was). I bought one right around New Year's. Haven't quite finished the build or shot it yet due to life getting in the way, but I have checked headspacing with a JP enhanced bolt using both .308 and 7.62 nato gages. It headspaced right smack in the middle between .308 go and 7.62 no-go (a little over a .308 no-go, but still under a .308 field by a couple thousandths). Shouldn't have any issues with any ammo that is in .308 or nato spec. Looked through it with a bore scope and have to say the machining quality is excellent. Measured the gas port at .089 dia. and it is slightly longer than rifle length gas (iirc, about 7/8" or so, I'll have to find my notes for the exact length), I had to order a custom gas tube through White Oak Armament. Barrel extension Diameter is almost nominal at 1.1878".

No opinion on the JP, never owned one. But had a RA Ultramatch 20” 308 AR barrel. It was a little picky but loved federal gold medal 168’s and two handload I had with 168 Eldm’s and 125 NBT. So don’t think it will not shoot light bullets. All three of those were roughly .75-.9 moa Avg 5 shot loads to 500 yards. Many groups in the .6’s few in the .5’s and few in the 1.25 moa range. Not a bad barrel and light with the deep fluting.
The 3 shot groups are the 125 NBT’s over Varget running 3000 fps at the muzzle. So mine would shoot light bullets with the 1-10 twist.

Since you mentioned cost with the two, look at Proof’s 18” stainless barrel. It will be similar (little more but folks are having sales this weekend) and I absolutely love the proof Stainless barrels I have had. Not picky, very good shooters, cut rifled barrel.

74382943-88BA-4C22-A646-907DBB1EB996.jpeg
4959C2E1-BC45-43DC-8503-E5C996801FC3.jpeg
5C6EC94B-7CC6-4E84-8523-91F6977BEC87.jpeg
73EBDC8A-C4DC-42A1-9842-7C4DDC2B3BAC.jpeg
45D13798-8520-4EF5-BD57-039AD52C33D8.jpeg
BFDB6240-4B84-4DAF-AAE5-9B21B03D5B74.jpeg

Rainier Ultramatch will be a solid barrel. I have several RA barrels in AR's, and they're all tack-drivers.

I'd go with a Bartlein (known quality and you'll get a great barrel) if readily available or even look at X-Caliber. I purchased one of their barrels here recently and it's exceptional. Doesn't discriminate against bullet weights either. It broke in very quickly and it's an absolute laser even when perfectly clean. X-Caliber will make sure the headspace is correct if you send them your JP bolt. They only do this for JP and RCA bolts. They also have regular sales which'll save you about $100 on a barrel. I think their Memorial Day sale ends today.