• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for an opinion: Colt vs LMT

4th Horseman

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2005
Nevada
I have been tasked by my administration to purchase 7 new patrol carbines for my agency.

I have contacted many different distributors and received quotes for the carbines and the requested accessories. My question is this.

We have the opportunity to purchase the Colt 6940 or the LMT Defender CQB. Both are non NFA types...Which to choose? I want a solid AR platform for my agency and I have done homework on each. I guess Im looking for peoples opinions.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC

Re: Looking for an opinion: Colt vs LMT

Those are two of the best choices there realy isn't a difference between them.You will probably get better support from LMT then Colt.

I have not been impressed with support and customer service from Colt. I just picked up a LMT MRP and have not had a need to contact their customer service yet, so I can't speak to that.

I do think that the LMT seemed to have a better overall fit & finish compared to the new Colts I have looked at, but this is based only on a small sample that I have compared.

Both are excellent. Get the Colt 6920. I have 3 and will be using one at Ayoob's LFI III in 2 weeks. i have 7 AR's and I choose the one I know will always work.

its all just some stamped and machined metal......is it not....i would look for bedside manners after the sale.....

I would choose LMT over Colt right now. Other thought is Rock River. They have a model certified for the DEA that is probably a bit easier on the budget. Investigate lots before buying and remember that no matter what you buy, the parts all come from the same subcontractors on quality AR's. Service after the sale will make/break the deal unless you have a dept armorer.

I prefer the LMT over the Colt for customer service, milspec trigger and hammer pin hole diameter (.154 vs. .170) and available 10.5 barrels.

Darin

I'm also a poster on a site specific to the AR platform. Opinion there would most likely be slightly toward Colt. I did a little "Colt-Bashing" over there when I first joined and was surprised to see that Colt really does make a superior AR compared to most. LMT is also a "Tier 1" AR and probably has better CS. The main reason I would pick Colt over LMT has nothing to do with the weapon itself. Apparently there are AR manufacturers that are financially unstable since the bottom dropped out of the AWB scare so I would go Colt because they'll still be around in years to come. Not that LMT is in trouble... I don't know... Just think I'd play it safe in that area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarinR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer the LMT over the Colt for customer service, milspec trigger and hammer pin hole diameter (.154 vs. .170) and available 10.5 barrels.

Darin </div></div>

Colt LE models have standard sized pins. Only there hobby models have the oversized pins.

I would look at the 6920 as well. The 1/7" twist rate allows the use of 75 grain TAP ammo. I may be wrong, but I thought that the 6940 came with a 1/9" twist barrel.

LMT is not a "Tier 1" manufacturer, because the last time I checked they do not have a third party perform there QC. I'm not bashing them (in fact I own one).

This topic shows up all over the internet, and there is always as much bad info as there is good.

The bottom line is both rifles you are looking at are great rifles. I would personally lean towards the Colt, but that is because I've had incredible luck with my 6920. I've fired 1200 rounds through it without doing anything but pulling the bolt carrier group out and blasting it with CLP (no disassembly). Never had a failure yet. I'm not going to actually clean it until it fails, because I'm trying to see what its made of.

My LMT is a good rifle, but I don't have as much time behind it.

Good Luck with your search.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarinR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer the LMT over the Colt for customer service, milspec trigger and hammer pin hole diameter (.154 vs. .170) and available 10.5 barrels.

Darin </div></div>

I believe the new Colts (Serial #55XXX above) all have the .154 pins- this includes the new 6940, only thing you can't do is put an auto sear in it. So that really isn't a deciding factor I don't think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently there are AR manufacturers that are financially unstable since the bottom dropped out of the AWB scare so I would go Colt because they'll still be around in years to come. </div></div>

Not to argue the point really, but if anyone is in trouble with their consumer guns it is more than likely Colt. Just look at the debacle with the 22LR AR. After the rush of "Colt faithful" bought them, they are now seen as junk with a Colt logo - sad situation. The bottom didn't drop out of the AWB scare - most companies are just barely caught up and most are still making money hand over fist. We should all be so 'unlucky."
wink.gif

Hopefully you aren't like BT and think; "...its all just some stamped and machined metal...". He is right about the "bedside manners" though but I think you'll find Colt more responsive to LEO needs than to the rest of us rabble (unfortunately)

Get yourself over to <span style="font-weight: bold">M4carbine.net</span> and do some research. Guys in the know, who depend on the M16 platform (and those who teach them - like Pat Rogers) know what's up with them. Invariably Colt is the standard for reliability.

I don't own a colt and I may never own one. But I do know that my 10.5" mrp went over 1200 rounds suppressed without being cleaned, and never stopped. You can't asked for more than that. I only cleaned it because I felt bad for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeteCamp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently there are AR manufacturers that are financially unstable since the bottom dropped out of the AWB scare so I would go Colt because they'll still be around in years to come. </div></div>

Not to argue the point really, but if anyone is in trouble with their consumer guns it is more than likely Colt. Just look at the debacle with the 22LR AR. After the rush of "Colt faithful" bought them, they are now seen as junk with a Colt logo - sad situation. The bottom didn't drop out of the AWB scare - most companies are just barely caught up and most are still making money hand over fist. We should all be so 'unlucky."
wink.gif
</div></div>I wish I could agree with you about the AWB scare but I kinda' know first hand. I invested in a substantial number of Lowers at right around $100 each and can buy the same now for around $80. The manufacturer I got them from told me they need to "free up some cash" because sales have dropped off dramatically. They also told me that they KNOW that several AR manufacturers are canceling parts orders and trying to return parts they already have. You can now find a "new" Colt 6920 for right around $1000 and most of the lesser manufacturers are selling AR's for close to "Pre-Obama" prices. I'm confident things will go up again but it's a little scarey right now for some of us. I know the Colt .22 is a Turd. Could have told you that as soon as I saw one. But I think Colt has pretty deep pockets and that little screw-up will be swept under the rug pretty quickly.

Oh, and the reason I called LMT a "Tier 1" was because in my book they are. They're a wonderful AR even if they don't quite live up to the "Chart"

I own several Colts and several LMTs, and my agency deploys a few Colts (6920 and M16). There is definitely a distinction between service-grade rifles and hobby-grade rifles. As you are only considering Colt and LMT, there’s no need to digress into discussion of the problems with the hobby-toys.

I pretty much only buy LMTs these days, but it has more to do access to wholesale pricing than anything else. I do prefer some of the options like the SOPMOD stock. LMTs also come standard with an ERGO grip (like it or not) and a gapper.

Colt developed the TDP. LMT has access to and utilizes the TDP. Chances of having an QC issue with the product of either company is about equal. At this point in time, LMT is probably a little more accessible and customer friendly if you had an issue.

My 14.5” LMT SOPMOD SBR is probably my all-around favorite AR, while my Colt 6920 might be a bit more accurate (tho its not even close to my Noveske 18” SPR in that regard – but that’s not a fair comparison).

Colt and LMT are both truly service grade rifles, and IMHO, either will serve your agency equally well. LMT is probably a a bit less expensive, but you give up nothing in terms of quality or serviceability.

Hey I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to help with there opinions and input. ..It is truely appreciated. There is a good crowd on these boards..Everyone out there be safe.
Billy C

I would buy LMT. Will offer better support for your troops. However Colts may bring higher trade value down the road from now. Colt's always bring good money. I still say LMT..

I love reading all the expert testimony on Mil Spec. AR's on the net.You hear more bullshit from shithouse experts.

Colt had the original military contract for the M4 and still do.A colt M4 is unique in that it has 1-7 twist,feed ramps and oval shaped handguards with a protective shroud over the gas tube.Like it or not being a goverment contractor Colt in order to keep up with production outsources for parts.LMT,CMT and a host of others provide those mil spec parts to colt.

LMT makes Mil spec parts for the military,they also market uppers lowers and complete rifles to the public and law enforcement.They started out as eagle arms and sold that to Armalite which armalite used eagle arms as theire part label to sell retail.In return the original owners of eagle started up Lewis Machine and Tool or LMT.

CMT is another current mil spec provider and have been for decades.They have a retail outlet called Stag Arms that you can buy parts and complete rifles through.Last I heard S&W uses CMT to produce their M&P line of AR's.So your paying more for a stag arms ar just so it says Smith on it.

Bushmaster has even had Military Contracts.Before FN came along they even had small contracts that supplied the USMC with parts and complete rifles rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sledder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I love reading all the expert testimony on Mil Spec. AR's on the net.You hear more bullshit from shithouse experts.

Colt had the original military contract for the M4 and still do.A colt M4 is unique in that it has 1-7 twist,feed ramps and oval shaped handguards with a protective shroud over the gas tube.Like it or not being a goverment contractor Colt in order to keep up with production outsources for parts.LMT,CMT and a host of others provide those mil spec parts to colt.

LMT makes Mil spec parts for the military,they also market uppers lowers and complete rifles to the public and law enforcement.They started out as eagle arms and sold that to Armalite which armalite used eagle arms as theire part label to sell retail.In return the original owners of eagle started up Lewis Machine and Tool or LMT.

CMT is another current mil spec provider and have been for decades.They have a retail outlet called Stag Arms that you can buy parts and complete rifles through.Last I heard S&W uses CMT to produce their M&P line of AR's.So your paying more for a stag arms ar just so it says Smith on it.

Bushmaster has even had Military Contracts.Before FN came along they even had small contracts that supplied the USMC with parts and complete rifles rifles.

</div></div>

As far as CMT/Stag is concerned, I think they only provide receivers. Their barrels and BCGs are not to spec (1:9" twist, non-shot peened bolt, S/A carrier, etc etc) so there is no way they are providing those.