• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking for an SPRish AR and need some advice

Re: Looking for an SPRish AR and need some advice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'd be surprised what a 4X can do once you get used to it... especially a FFP that you can dial to 1X and use like a red-dot type optic for short range stuff.

Anything more than 1X (or 1.1X) confuses my brain a little and I start to close one eye or at least squint. I like both eyes open for run and gun scenarios where you are moving and shooting.

YMMV </div></div>

I totally agree with you on this. more than 1x makes me want to close one of my eye's... crazy stuff.

GEEEEZZZZ!!!! that leupold 1.1-8x is $4k!!! out on that one...

If you're mainly about range & target shooting I highly recommend something more than a 1-4. Lots of guys out there using a 3-9 or 4-16 with a quick detach mount and irons or a backup red dot, maybe think about something like that instead.

If you hit everything you shoot at 4x is great ! Mis and look for it to correct your dope or wind call can be a bitch with 4x..

The 1.5-5 MR/T just gets it done on a 308 at 400-600 spoting a miss if at all...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GEEEEZZZZ!!!! that leupold 1.1-8x is $4k!!! out on that one... </div></div>

What about this Leupold...? http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-Mark-4-MRT-30mm-Riflescope-P45043.aspx </div></div>

I've never looked through a 1.5x. I'm curious to see what it would look like. I'll rock my Burris XTR for now. Thanks for the link though. Definitely sparks my interest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're mainly about range & target shooting I highly recommend something more than a 1-4. Lots of guys out there using a 3-9 or 4-16 with a quick detach mount and irons or a backup red dot, maybe think about something like that instead. </div></div>

I think I'm going to try and use this rifle to get into the 3 gun scene.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're mainly about range & target shooting I highly recommend something more than a 1-4. Lots of guys out there using a 3-9 or 4-16 with a quick detach mount and irons or a backup red dot, maybe think about something like that instead. </div></div>

I think I'm going to try and use this rifle to get into the 3 gun scene. </div></div>

Okie dokie well you definately have one of the top scopes, before breaking the $ grand mark, to use for that!

But before you start ordering I suggest reading and doing searchs here. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=86
I visit the rifle technical section alot. The multigun section I linked is a sub forum. Should be able to find any info you need there...

^^^Thanks for the link man. You have been very helpful.

-Jake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^Thanks for the link man. You have been very helpful.

-Jake </div></div>

Your welcome no problem man.
It's pretty easy to help when someone else is now traveling the same line of thought you already have. It's kinda like answering your own questions all over again! lol
Just glad I can help.
Oh and my next build is an SPR...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^Thanks for the link man. You have been very helpful.

-Jake </div></div>

Your welcome no problem man.
It's pretty easy to help when someone else is now traveling the same line of thought you already have. It's kinda like answering your own questions all over again! lol
Just glad I can help.
Oh and my next build is an SPR... </div></div>

Sweet man. I hope you got some info from this thread. It has definitely helped me out a ton. I was going to just buy a BCM, which i'm sure i would have been happy with, but i'm digging the idea of building my own. Pick and choose what i want. skimp in some areas so i can buy something better in another area (i.e. barrel and trigger, which are more important to me than a high dollar hanguard.) I'm still waiting for my tax stamp to come in on my SBR. Then I will have the best of both worlds... One thing at a time.

Oh I'll definately be picking thru this thread as I continue my research for my SPR!
Yea one thing at a time is easier said then done when you have a bad case of the BRD... lol
I've already built a second AR with in 6 months of finishing my first. With a spare lower just laying around it's beginning to get hardy NOT to start on my own SPR build... Resist the temptation...Resist the temptation... Who the heck am I kidding! This is an expensive year for me and my firearms. But I'm having a damn good time spending the loot...

I run a 3-10 on my spr simply because i'm usually shooting at critter, not 3-gun.

I've run a couple 1-4x type scopes on my m4 and they have worked well for me. I just haven't found the reticle I like yet, so I keep selling them and going to something different. I'm going to give that little falcon a shot next I think, I like that it has a real reticle. I'm not sure how 1.5x will be, but it's really not a lot of mag so i'm betting I can still shoot with both eyes open on that setting.

The leupy is stupid expensive, and you can thank their defense contract for that since they've convinced Uncle Sugar that he needs to pay shitload for these to put on a grenade launcher (seriously). It must be nice to have corrupt cronies on the inside... and it's one reason why I don't spend money on leupold stuff. But, it did fit the specs you were after so I thought i'd mention it. For that price, i'd be calling up USO or tracking down a S&B short dot 1-8 for a bit less (~$2600 @ swfa).

You might wanna give the 1-4 vortex pst a test drive, they seem like a nice value in the ~$500 sector of the market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You might wanna give the 1-4 vortex pst a test drive, they seem like a nice value in the ~$500 sector of the market. </div></div>

The pst is definitely an option. I'm in love with my burris right now. But if i ever went with another 1-4, it would definitely be the vortex. I have (had) one of their 4-16x pst's and it was awesome. Only reason I sold it, was because i didn't have a rifle to put it on.

Build Update:

Bought the following and waiting for everything to come in.

-Spike's upper receiver

-WOA barrel & Bolt

-Spike's bolt carrier

-Samson evo 12.37" rail

-Gun fighter Mod 4 charging handle

-AAC blackout 51t flash hider (host for my next purchase)

-Vltor low profile gas block

-Spike's lower receiver with CTR stock (for now) and MIAD grip

-Geissele SSA-E trigger

-Larue/Troy BUIS (already have these)

-Burris XTR 1-4x with P.E.P.R. mount (already have these)

That's everything for now. Once I have it all in and put together, I'll post pics and update with a range report after that. Thanks everyone, for making this possible. I think I'm going to be a lot happier going this route then buying a complete upper or complete 18" rifle. This will be my first build, so we'll see...