• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking for an SPRish AR and need some advice

jakerz3

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Oklahoma
I've been doing a lot of research and have came up with the following. Any advice/information would be great. I don't have any experience with either manufacturer.

BCM/Spike’s Build
• BCM Upper $1200 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SPR-Mk-12-Mod-Bravo3X-p/bcm-urg-mk12-3x%20dd14.htm)
• Spike’s complete Lower $330 (http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/spider-bullet-lower-w-enhanced-kit-no-stock-p-592.html)
• <span style="font-weight: bold">TOTAL:</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">$1550</span>

DPMS
• DPMS Mark 12 Complete <span style="font-weight: bold">$1448</span> (http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=67375&w=PQ+JDyOLrQE=)

Only $100 difference. I like the monolithic rail on the BCM…

I could also go with a standard Spike’s kit with CTR Stock and MOE grip for $364. The one above is their “Enhanced” kit without a stock. It comes with bigger takedown pins, ambi safety selector, better trigger, and bigger trigger guard. I already have a CTR stock sitting at the house.

Or I can get their standard kit for $250 and put in my own trigger… Or just buy a stripped Spike’s lower for $115 and buy whatever parts… Don't really know, since all AR's I have bought have been complete. I just add things to the rails. lol

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

-Jake

Re: Looking for an SPRish AR and need some advice

How much exactly are you wanting to spend and what caliber?

Hey, what's up man? How have you been?

I'd like to keep it around $1,500 if possible. I'd also like it in 223. I just bought a 10.5" LWRC, so I'm a little low on cash.

I would definitely go with the BCM/Spikes combo between the two. I just ordered that same enhanced lower w/o stock last week. They quoted a 2-8 week wait but I just received a shipping notification today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would definitely go with the BCM/Spikes combo between the two. I just ordered that same enhanced lower w/o stock last week. They quoted a 2-8 week wait but I just received a shipping notification today. </div></div>

That was one thing I was worried about, was the wait on the spikes lower. You said "between the two", is there another one you might recommend? I'm open to opinions/options.

Thanks,

Jake

Build your own. If you already have "some tools" then you just need a receiver block and an armorer's wrench. Just don't blow your $$$ on fu-fu rails or stock sets and your entire build will be around 1100-1200 at the most using a good barrel and good trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would definitely go with the BCM/Spikes combo between the two. I just ordered that same enhanced lower w/o stock last week. They quoted a 2-8 week wait but I just received a shipping notification today. </div></div>

That was one thing I was worried about, was the wait on the spikes lower. You said "between the two", is there another one you might recommend? I'm open to opinions/options.

Thanks,

Jake </div></div>

Have you looked into noveske? You maybe able to find a rogue hunter for not much more (or slap a rogue hunter upper on the spikes). BCM is still good though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=442743
http://www.sacramentoblackrifle.com/products/noveske-18-rogue-hunter-5-56mm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Build your own. If you already have "some tools" then you just need a receiver block and an armorer's wrench. Just don't blow your $$$ on fu-fu rails or stock sets and your entire build will be around 1100-1200 at the most using a good barrel and good trigger. </div></div>

I was looking at a WOA barrel and a geissele (sp?) trigger on doing my own build. I've heard they are great choices but don't have any experience with either...

Any SPRish rifle I bought primary considerations (other than price) are - how does it shoot, how much does it weigh, company reputation, and quality of parts for build. Lot of choices, and nothing worse than getting a dog because you pulled the trigger too fast on a buy. +1 on building your own if you can.

Advice - Consider SDM platform if you are not using a can. Don't know what those SPRish rifles you mentioned weigh in at, but the Crane builds are about 11-12 pounds empty IIRC (Mod 0 +1 pound heavier). My SDM-R firing weight (20 rd mag) is ~ 9 lbs 6 oz. Empty ~ 7 lbs 14 oz.

PM sent your way, I think I can help you out on the upper and possibly an LMT lower.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guard Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any SPRish rifle I bought primary considerations (other than price) are - how does it shoot, how much does it weigh, company reputation, and quality of parts for build. Lot of choices, and nothing worse than getting a dog because you pulled the trigger too fast on a buy. +1 on building your own if you can.

Advice - Consider SDM platform if you are not using a can. Don't know what those SPRish rifles you mentioned weigh in at, but the Crane builds are about 11-12 pounds empty IIRC (Mod 0 +1 pound heavier). My SDM-R firing weight (20 rd mag) is ~ 9 lbs 6 oz. Empty ~ 7 lbs 14 oz. </div></div>

The DPMS weighs close to 9lbs empty. And I can't find any info on how much the BCM weighs. I think I'm going to do a spreadsheet on a SPR build and see how much that runs me. A buddy of mine has all the necessary tools to build it. If I can get it close to the $1,500 range and have all/most the parts I want; that would be great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would definitely go with the BCM/Spikes combo between the two. I just ordered that same enhanced lower w/o stock last week. They quoted a 2-8 week wait but I just received a shipping notification today. </div></div>

Thanks,

Jake </div></div>

Have you looked into noveske? You maybe able to find a rogue hunter for not much more (or slap a rogue hunter upper on the spikes). BCM is still good though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=442743
http://www.sacramentoblackrifle.com/products/noveske-18-rogue-hunter-5-56mm </div></div>

I haven't considered Noveske, but I'm checking into the one you posted now. Thanks for the links!

Get a hold of Scott @ Specialized Dynamics. He's a standup guy and he'll build you anything you want. Tell him your exact situation, your budget, specs and he'll hook you up. He's got really good prices too.

http://www.specializeddynamics.com/

His hide name is: Scottmilk9

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I was looking at a WOT barrel and a geissele (sp?) trigger on doing my own build. I've heard they are great choices but don't have any experience with either... </div></div>

My first choice would be a WOA 18" SPR barrel, 2nd choice I'd probably take a chance on the DPMS Mk12 18" as it is cheap. Other barrels I'd look at are the bravocompany stainless ones (300$). I would avoid anything chrome lined; stick to stainless.

Bolt carrier group anything that is MP tested. Rainier had a sale on their brand ones for 125$. Generally when I buy a barrel I buy the bolt from the same vendor and I ask them to check headspace before they ship it. Rainier, JSE, Bravo have all obliged me in that regard. 9 times out of 10 any bolt and barrel will headspace but every now and then you get screwed so something else to watch for.

Gas block get a clamping one and not one that screws into the barrel. I think YHM makes a clamping gas block with a flip-up front sight (same with midwest).

Triggers I usually go for 2 stages like the RRA but yeah Geisselle is a really popular choice.

Handguards I like lightweight and simple ones, plenty of choices out there. Troy YHM Midwest (last midwest I had was ugly so probably won't go there again). DDefense if you can afford it but at 350+ they are definitely proud of them...

Upper and lower I usually get the cheapest lower I can find (aka Aeroprecision 3 for 205 out the door). Same for uppers but I call or email first to ask if they've had any complaints about them being out of square. Sometimes the threads aren't quite right or the face of the upper is off so you'll have a crooked barrel/straight handguards or vice versa that sort of thing.

Lower parts kits I've bought them all over the place only one that gave me a problem was Olympic. It was embarrassingly bad.

Stock is your choice I like the A1-A2 styles, Magpul ACS or if it's a blaster carbine whatever 6 POS I can get the cheapest complete.

Action block goes in the vice, upper receiver in the action block. Stick the barrel in then grease the threads and tighten/loosen the nut 3 times (just firm it with the wrench don't go crazy) watching to see how the gas tube hole lines up. 4th time use your torque wrench and tighten it, lining up the holes + using 30-80lbs of torque. Honestly it just has to be tight so again don't go crazy there's no need to. After that the hardest thing is probably hammering the gas tube roll pin into the gas block.

Off the top of my head that is about it, I'm sure someone else will add something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I was looking at a WOT barrel and a geissele (sp?) trigger on doing my own build. I've heard they are great choices but don't have any experience with either... </div></div>

My first choice would be a WOA 18" SPR barrel, 2nd choice I'd probably take a chance on the DPMS Mk12 18" as it is cheap. Other barrels I'd look at are the bravocompany stainless ones (300$). I would avoid anything chrome lined; stick to stainless.

Bolt carrier group anything that is MP tested. Rainier had a sale on their brand ones for 125$. Generally when I buy a barrel I buy the bolt from the same vendor and I ask them to check headspace before they ship it. Rainier, JSE, Bravo have all obliged me in that regard. 9 times out of 10 any bolt and barrel will headspace but every now and then you get screwed so something else to watch for.

Gas block get a clamping one and not one that screws into the barrel. I think YHM makes a clamping gas block with a flip-up front sight (same with midwest).

Triggers I usually go for 2 stages like the RRA but yeah Geisselle is a really popular choice.

Handguards I like lightweight and simple ones, plenty of choices out there. Troy YHM Midwest (last midwest I had was ugly so probably won't go there again). DDefense if you can afford it but at 350+ they are definitely proud of them...

Upper and lower I usually get the cheapest lower I can find (aka Aeroprecision 3 for 205 out the door). Same for uppers but I call or email first to ask if they've had any complaints about them being out of square. Sometimes the threads aren't quite right or the face of the upper is off so you'll have a crooked barrel/straight handguards or vice versa that sort of thing.

Lower parts kits I've bought them all over the place only one that gave me a problem was Olympic. It was embarrassingly bad.

Stock is your choice I like the A1-A2 styles, Magpul ACS or if it's a blaster carbine whatever 6 POS I can get the cheapest complete.

Action block goes in the vice, upper receiver in the action block. Stick the barrel in then grease the threads and tighten/loosen the nut 3 times (just firm it with the wrench don't go crazy) watching to see how the gas tube hole lines up. 4th time use your torque wrench and tighten it, lining up the holes + using 30-80lbs of torque. Honestly it just has to be tight so again don't go crazy there's no need to. After that the hardest thing is probably hammering the gas tube roll pin into the gas block.

Off the top of my head that is about it, I'm sure someone else will add something.

</div></div>

Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely look into going this route. It would be pretty cool to stand back and say that I built the rifle.

here's what i'm running. Waiting on my tan duracoat to come in so I can finish the rest of the color match.
730e430d.jpg

*noveske 18" bbl, midlength gas $460 @ ranier
*VLTOR mur-1a billet upper $190 @ ranier
*Young Mfg. chrome bcg $180 @ ranier
*vortex flash hider $50 off SH classifieds
*CMMG lower, $130 locally
*LPK minus trigger group, $40
*Geissele SSA 2-stage trigger $170 @ midwayUSA
*a2 buttstock assembly $60
*PRI rifle length carbon forend $200 off SH classifieds

Comes out to just shy of $1500 and it's got everything I want on it. Optics in the pic are the weaver 3-10x40 tactical from midway ($299) and used leupy mk4 ultra high rings ($65 in classifieds) with PRI delrin reducers ($20 @ midway).

If you go with the WOA barrel (get the matching bolt while you're at it), you can save money and it's just as nice IMHO. Then cruise the classifieds here for good deals on parts.

i personally like dpms but i know that alot of companies buy thier parts from the same manufacturer and slap thier own stamps on them.
DPMS makes their own barrels from what ive heard and they are done very well especially the barrels made from SS. I owned the basic bottom of the line LR-308 a while back and i loved it. It shot under 1/2 moa at 100 yards and under .75 at 200 yards with a nightforce scope. I did have a rock river arms national match 2 stage trigger that had been worked on by white oak precision and it seemed to do very well. The barrel was also lapped and crowned with a compensator.... but im not sure how much that helped out. anyways dpms is a good way to go. I personally like the REPR in 18 inches with a fluter barrel. check it out and let me know what you think. Fulton arms makes a nice one called the titan with a spin off barrel from krieger that wont break the bank like a Knights Arm. but its all a matter of preference.
Fulton arms looks pretty cool too since it has an option to use a side cocking mechanism that doubles as a forward assist. Last ive heard they borrow DPMS parts here and there. Its worth checking out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here's what i'm running. Waiting on my tan duracoat to come in so I can finish the rest of the color match.

*noveske 18" bbl, midlength gas $460 @ ranier
*VLTOR mur-1a billet upper $190 @ ranier
*Young Mfg. chrome bcg $180 @ ranier
*vortex flash hider $50 off SH classifieds
*CMMG lower, $130 locally
*LPK minus trigger group, $40
*Geissele SSA 2-stage trigger $170 @ midwayUSA
*a2 buttstock assembly $60
*PRI rifle length carbon forend $200 off SH classifieds

Comes out to just shy of $1500 and it's got everything I want on it. Optics in the pic are the weaver 3-10x40 tactical from midway ($299) and used leupy mk4 ultra high rings ($65 in classifieds) with PRI delrin reducers ($20 @ midway).

If you go with the WOA barrel (get the matching bolt while you're at it), you can save money and it's just as nice IMHO. Then cruise the classifieds here for good deals on parts. </div></div>

Nice man. I would change a few things for myself, but most of it seems right on. You will have to send me pics once it is duracoated. Nice setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you will find the weight to just about any BCM upper. http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-upper-receiver-weight-comparisons </div></div>

Wow! That is very helpful. Looks like i'm at 4lbs 6.2oz for the upper I am looking at. I could save 2 oz if I go with the shorter DD rail. Thanks again for the link.

Are you looking to shoot out to 700 yards,Are you going to use a CAN ?

For CQB inside 300 yards about anything will get the Job done with M855 or xm193,If your Going to stretch it out with or without CAN and Want accuracy usieng 75-77 Grain rounds I would roll with a MK12 Type SPR barrel Rifle length gas sys. WOA,superior barrels,Noveske,These 3 I have used and work very well..The first Upper you posted the Link for would be a Nice one to have...

Weight saveings does not allways get the results down range, Go light as posible heavey as needed..

MK12 top MA-10 lower..
when it must be killed DRT I use the 308,heavy pig..

imageidz.jpg

If you want a lightweight handguard system look at the troy extreme or vtac. Should be lighter than the DDlite, same functionality and a lot cheaper...

Oh there's a YHM customizable one for 130 and a Midwest one for 150, both are free float tubes with rail on the top and removable rails on the sides. I had a YHM customizable on a rifle awhile back and it was decent. If I were to keep it I might have put some grip tape on part of it as the finish was really smooth and sometimes hard to get a hold of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have the budget for it, Kevin at High Caliber Sales can hook you up with a great Alan Brown built Mk12 upper.

http://www.highcalibersales.com/Site/MK12_MOD1.html

They built mine on the Sniper's Hide JD Machine Tech group buy upper.
</div></div>

That is definitely a nice setup. There are a lot more options than I thought. More homework for this guy...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you looking to shoot out to 700 yards,Are you going to use a CAN ?

For CQB inside 300 yards about anything will get the Job done with M855 or xm193,If your Going to stretch it out with or without CAN and Want accuracy usieng 75-77 Grain rounds I would roll with a MK12 Type SPR barrel Rifle length gas sys. WOA,superior barrels,Noveske,These 3 I have used and work very well..The first Upper you posted the Link for would be a Nice one to have...

Weight saveings does not allways get the results down range, Go light as posible heavey as needed.. </div></div>

This one would mainly be for longer range engagements. Anywhere from 100-600+ yards. No suppressor currently, but that will be the next thing on the short list. The can would be mainly used on my SBR, but I would have no problem using it on this SPR. Acronym overload...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a lightweight handguard system look at the troy extreme or vtac. Should be lighter than the DDlite, same functionality and a lot cheaper...

Oh there's a YHM customizable one for 130 and a Midwest one for 150, both are free float tubes with rail on the top and removable rails on the sides. I had a YHM customizable on a rifle awhile back and it was decent. If I were to keep it I might have put some grip tape on part of it as the finish was really smooth and sometimes hard to get a hold of.

</div></div>

My friend has the troy extreme. It seems like a nice hand guard, but is very skinny. I'll take a look at the other ones you mentioned. Thanks!

Based on my limited AR experience, the WOA 18" is a great option. For an extra $50 they include the headspaced bolt. The 1:7 twist loves 77 grain 5.56 Black Hills Match Ammo. Barrel also shoots wonderful suppressed.

Not quite an SPR, but SPR-ish... Went small with optics for 3-gun, tac rifle matches but;

Mine is a DPMS lower, Geissele DMR, MagPul UBR and MOE Hand grip, Wilson Combat Upper and bolt carrier, WOA SPR 18", Troy XTR 13" rail. Scope is a Vortex Razor 1-4X.

I'm in for right around $1,300 w/o optics.

2723164027_large.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on my limited AR experience, the WOA 18" is a great option. For an extra $50 they include the headspaced bolt. The 1:7 twist loves 77 grain 5.56 Black Hills Match Ammo. Barrel also shoots wonderful suppressed.

Not quite an SPR, but SPR-ish... Went small with optics for 3-gun, tac rifle matches but;

Mine is a DPMS lower, Geissele DMR, MagPul UBR and MOE Hand grip, Wilson Combat Upper and bolt carrier, WOA SPR 18", Troy XTR 13" rail. Scope is a Vortex Razor 1-4X.

I'm in for right around $1,300 w/o optics.

2723164027_large.jpg

</div></div>

That setup sounds perfect. Want to sell it? lol. PM inbound for some more info.

She is still a newlywed for me, so I'll have to keep her a little bit longer LOL!! PM replied. Keep us updated and work that F/S area to save some cash!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you will find the weight to just about any BCM upper. http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-upper-receiver-weight-comparisons </div></div>

Wow! That is very helpful. Looks like i'm at 4lbs 6.2oz for the upper I am looking at. I could save 2 oz if I go with the shorter DD rail. Thanks again for the link. </div></div>

No problem your welcome.
If I knew weight was a major concern to begin with I would have posted this earlier. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajl2UPK0UHPscHdzd2hlZ2hOUXNGblVaTWtaTkYyRFE#gid=0
Also take a look at Troys newest rail the "Alpha" series which is the Troy Extreme rail with a built in flip up front sight. http://troyind.com/%20/battlerails/troy-battlerail-alpha-coming-soon#
Another option Samson Evolution rail series http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/category/Samson_Evolution.html They make a 15" rail that weighs only 13.4oz
One last one something a little different and light weight Apex Machining http://www.apexcncmachine.com/store.php?seller=ApexMachiningCompany&navt1=19974

You might want to check out the Larue OBR light and Predater light for that price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you will find the weight to just about any BCM upper. http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-upper-receiver-weight-comparisons </div></div>

Wow! That is very helpful. Looks like i'm at 4lbs 6.2oz for the upper I am looking at. I could save 2 oz if I go with the shorter DD rail. Thanks again for the link. </div></div>

No problem your welcome.
If I knew weight was a major concern to begin with I would have posted this earlier. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajl2UPK0UHPscHdzd2hlZ2hOUXNGblVaTWtaTkYyRFE#gid=0
Also take a look at Troys newest rail the "Alpha" series which is the Troy Extreme rail with a built in flip up front sight. http://troyind.com/%20/battlerails/troy-battlerail-alpha-coming-soon#
Another option Samson Evolution rail series http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/category/Samson_Evolution.html They make a 15" rail that weighs only 13.4oz
One last one something a little different and light weight Apex Machining http://www.apexcncmachine.com/store.php?seller=ApexMachiningCompany&navt1=19974
</div></div>

Holy crap! that spreadsheet rocks! I kind of have a build put together in excel. I'm going to post it here and see if I have everything and if it sounds like I'm going down the right path. I'm glad I started this thread. Otherwise, I would have just pulled the trigger on the BCM... Thank you for everyone's help thus far.

-Jake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to check out the Larue OBR light and Predater light for that price. </div></div>

the 18” LaRue Tactical PredatAR 5.56 is definitely something to look at. So many choices!! I'm going to be reading for weeks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you will find the weight to just about any BCM upper. http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-upper-receiver-weight-comparisons </div></div>

No problem your welcome.
</div></div>

I'm really digging this one:

http://www.apexcncmachine.com/store.php?...d=112348#images

as well as the samson evolution series. Great info! thanks again!

Alright. This is what I am looking at. Thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Upper

1. Daniel Defense upper w/forward assist & dust cover - $114
2. WOA Barrel with gas block and tube - $265
3. WOA Bolt and carrier and key - $120
4. Samson Evolution 12.37" rail - $185
5. BCM gun fighter charging handle - $45

Lower

1. Found a Spike's standard kit with CTR stock & MIAD grip - $300
2. Add Geissele SSA trigger - $170

<span style="font-weight: bold">Grand Total - $1,205</span> (not including shipping)

Sound like I covered everything? Or did I miss some parts?

Thanks for the help,

Jake

Since your buying another trigger anyway why not just get this for $100 less then the Spikes with same stuff. http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/615.php
If you want the Spikes buffer go to aimsurplus.com and get one for $30 shipped. You still save $70 bucks...
Oh and you didn't mention back up sights on your list.

There's some good looking rigs in this thread, should give you plenty of ideas to work with. I should have specified that my noveske is 1-7 also, and you can get the WOA in that or 1-8, IIRC. I use 62gr for close range prairie dog slaying, and both 62gr and 75-77gr loads for further out. It's a tack driver, so I can say that the fast twist is the way to go, IMHO.

I have to say that I love the mk12 look, and that was definitely in my head when I put on the PRI. However, I think it's more important to get the things that suit your needs than it is to have form factor.

As far as your list, I think it looks pretty good. My only beef is the CTR, I have one on my DD railed m4 and for me it's a little light for a long gun with a front rail (weight creates leverage). I'd splurge on a UBR if it was me, but either way will at least get you going. Can always swap it later, that's the great thing about AR platforms.

IMHO, the SSA is an excellent value in triggers, I absolutely love mine, and am slowly converting all my other gas guns over to geissele's stuff as i'm now spoiled for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since your buying another trigger anyway why not just get this for $100 less then the Spikes with same stuff. http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/615.php
If you want the Spikes buffer go to aimsurplus.com and get one for $30 shipped. You still save $70 bucks...
Oh and you didn't mention back up sights on your list. </div></div>

That palmetto kit doesn't come with the lower receiver. The spike's one I found does. I've looked at that kit before, and it would be perfect if you had a stripped lower. I have some larue/troy BUIS laying around that I plan on using. A Burris XTR 1-4x in a P.E.P.R. mount will serve as the primary optic.

Ahhh ok I didn't look at the Spikes kit I was at work replying from my phone. I just thought it was a lower build kit. Oh by the way what muzzle device are you planning on using...?

good call. I didn't add that to my build... I don't know. I'd like to buy a 762-SDN-6 one of these days, so I guess a AA Blackout 51t flash hider. nice catch. that will add another $100.

Are you sure 1-4x is going to be enough at 600+ yards? I'm currently shopping optics for my rifle (S-DMR style) and I'm looking at 1.5-x, 2-x, possibly even 3-9x for 600 yards. But optics is all new to me so what the hell do I know... Just food for thought.

You can shoot 600 yards with iron sights. Lots of people do it. The question is do you WANT to shoot it with iron sights or would you rather have a scope of X power?

new pic of the noveske, just to tide you over until you have one of your own, lol. I'll post separately about the flush cup.
grin.gif

43f3c069.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you sure 1-4x is going to be enough at 600+ yards? I'm currently shopping optics for my rifle (S-DMR style) and I'm looking at 1.5-x, 2-x, possibly even 3-9x for 600 yards. But optics is all new to me so what the hell do I know... Just food for thought. </div></div>

Hitting, man sized targets with a 4x should get the trick done. However, a 4-16x or 3-9x will probably be more precise. I like the idea of using this rifle for up close engagements as well as long ones. This is all on paper/steel targets of course. If I take it to shoot varmints, then I will probably use one of my higher power scopes.

could always go with a 1-8x like the new leupy... I think you can get a USO that way too.

falcon has a 1.5-5, and there are several nice 2-7 and 2-10 out there too.

I want to keep the 1x for close stuff. I'll have to check into that 1-8x leupold. Thanks for the info!

So why wouldn't a 2-7x or 2-8x work well for close stuff? Not questioning your choice just trying to understand optics more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So why wouldn't a 2-7x or 2-8x work well for close stuff? Not questioning your choice just trying to understand optics more. </div></div>

A 1x, is just like using an aimpoint or eotech. Which is what I personally prefer, YMMV. Some people don't mind the 2x magnification, but I want 0 at close range. when looking through my aimpoint, eotech, burris, etc.; i see everything as i would normally, without an optic. All that's there is a little red dot or illuminated reticle. I would like the extra magnification at longer distances, but I can hit a man sized target with ease at the 4x power setting. I'm not shooting super tight groups, but hitting where I am aiming for the most part.

I figure, if I can hit a man sized target at 300 yards with iron sights, then I should be able to hit the same sized target at double the distance, with 4x the magnification. If I want to see what the rifle can really do, then I will add a higher powered scope. But the 1-4x should serve most of my needs. If i'm going to shoot prairie dogs or coyotes; I might install the higher powered scope. For hitting steel, the 1-4x is fast and accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">new pic of the noveske, just to tide you over until you have one of your own, lol. I'll post separately about the flush cup.
grin.gif

</div></div>

Noveske... I only wish... Nice setup. I bet it's a tack driver.

You'd be surprised what a 4X can do once you get used to it... especially a FFP that you can dial to 1X and use like a red-dot type optic for short range stuff.

Anything more than 1X (or 1.1X) confuses my brain a little and I start to close one eye or at least squint. I like both eyes open for run and gun scenarios where you are moving and shooting.

YMMV