• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for ELR Heavy Duty Tripod (375 CT/50 BMG)

cperazza

Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2014
    Shreveport/Bossier, LA
    Currently looking at:

- Two Vets Sporting Goods: 40 Mike Mike Tripod plus Reaper Grip Shooting Platform

- Night Googles: Night Stalker Pro Tripod & Ball-Head plus Reaper Grip

Really Right Stuff (RRS) TFCF-33
    [/URL]

Thoughts on experience with these tripods? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
    Why not? Would you care to elaborate more on your reasons?
    Sure, as you know I certainly use a “Tripod” a lot. I use them in matches, hunting and general long range practice. So I don’t say tripods aren’t good for something without a lot of experience on them.

Yes, they’ll get you over dead space created by small rollers or bush, but it is the fastest way to turn a 1/4” minute gun into 1 minute + gun. Most ELR targets are about 1moa and times less, where as your topical PRS match are 2moa and larger.

As you know, with ELR you are already fighting optical issues and wind that truly make the total CEP much larger than you might see at 1k and under.

If one was going to use a tripod there’s no question that using the Really Right Stuff or even the Getzo series 5 with the leveling base, would the most stable option. Even then, it wouldn’t hurt to move up to the big series. Stay away from ball-heads or even the new Anvil, remember your not going to find high angle ELR easily, and if you do you'll have time to cheat a leg.

With larger calibers, more total recoil energy and longer barrels combine to put more stress on the video bowl to leveling base. Because of that, I would be very careful of the type of interface I use between the tripod and leveling base. I’m not sure you can see my signature, but if you look at my tripod thread, look at how the RRS uses a key to lock the video bowl to the ball as well as friction. The last thing you want is to have the video bowl come out of the legs with a simple friction fit that a lot of these combinations offer.

The biggest thing you have to remember is you’re sending about six bucks down range every time you squeeze the trigger. There are a lot of other ways to gain elevation that are more stable but of course not packable, venturing too far from your truck isn’t as easy.

Sorry like always trying to post via Siri driving down the road

Last edited:
    Sure, as you know I certainly use a “Tripod” a lot. I use them in matches, hunting and general long range practice. So I don’t say tripods aren’t good for something without a lot of experience on them.

Yes, they’ll get you over dead space created by small rollers or bush, but it is the fastest way to turn a 1/4” minute gun into 1 minute + gun. Most ELR targets are about 1moa and times less, where as your topical PRS match are 2moa and larger.

As you know, with ELR you are already fighting optical issues and wind that truly make the total CEP much larger than you might see at 1k and under.

If one was going to use a tripod there’s no question that using the Really Right Stuff or even the Getzo series 5 with the leveling base, would the most stable option. Even then, it wouldn’t hurt to move up to the big series. Stay away from ball-heads or even the new Anvil, remember your not going to find high angle ELR easily, and if you do you'll have time to cheat a leg.

With larger calibers, more total recoil energy and longer barrels combine to put more stress on the video bowl to leveling base. Because of that, I would be very careful of the type of interface I use between the tripod and leveling base. I’m not sure you can see my signature, but if you look at my tripod thread, look at how the RRS uses a key to lock the video bowl to the ball as well as friction. The last thing you want is to have the video bowl come out of the legs with a simple friction fit that a lot of these combinations offer.

The biggest thing you have to remember is you’re sending about six bucks down range every time you squeeze the trigger. There are a lot of other ways to gain elevation that are more stable but of course not packable, venturing too far from your truck isn’t as easy.

What about tripod from prone? I wouldn’t try to shoot 2 plus miles from standing I’m not that good at 500 let alone 2+ miles.

In the absence of a Charlie, a tripod from prone could be useful to gain elevation no?

What about tripod from prone? I wouldn’t try to shoot 2 plus miles from standing I’m not that good at 500 let alone 2+ miles

Not sure that would be ideal but it would be fun to try. Hell, 2 Miles isn’t a easy feat with a typical bipod.

Stay with a bipod and let the rifle track naturally..... that’s what the fast race horse would do.

Good luck and great shooting
    Chris Schmidt
    Team JJ Rock
    Tennessee

IG: ChrisSchmidt_ELR

I could just imagine dollar bills getting blow out of the muzzle with every shot on almost any tripod used at 1 mile plus. Not that it can't be done, it's just what I would visualize with every trigger pull.

Reactions: gafferq2xl
    Hi,

@TacticalDillhole
    This might be the thread to recommend the Tactical Sniper Bench you found out of Israel.
    Even though the manufacturer has not gotten back with me and the Israeli MOD will not allow the IDF to sell me one.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Impeccable (y)(y)

Hi,

Its not but the Canadian distributors cost is just too much to handle. :LOL:
    I actually like their spotter kit better than the tripod.
    View attachment 7045675
    View attachment 7045676
    Sincerely,
    Theis

Except, If truly calling come-ups and then corrections. I'd rather use a high end "gear head" to place the call, as an example U21.2-L3.8 in the reticle of the spotter, then precisely uses the gears to move to the first correction in the spotter.. then you don't have to remember..

Diver160651, totally agree. I saw 2 of these in use this weekend and knew immediately this was my missing link!! I am on the hunt!!
    20190323_150740.jpg

I know this is a bit late but it may help someone. This is what I've used for decades with big eyes. very very stable, even in high winds. With a little adjustment it will get low enough to use while sitting in a chair.
    If you can find one that has a center column that is adjustable . It will get higher.
    Mine was used in the TV business for doing remotes.

Reactions: cperazza