• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for friendly advice on a bolt gun

Jonnyio

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2013
I've been researching bolt guns in 308 for around $2k, mostly for target and a bit of hunting, maxing out around 800 yards. The problem is that there's so many options. I've been looking at Sako, Savage and countless others. I almost pulled the trigger on a Tikka T3 and came across a "outdoor life" article glowing over the Sig SSG 3000 patrol. Anyone have experience with either rifle? Or should I just break the bank and get a FN A3G? Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Or you could just take the $2000 and build a semi custom. Get a rem 700 action, custom barrel and a good stock or chassis. That way you can get what you want. Only bad thing I guess would be the waiting on the barrel.... I think you would be happier in the long run.

I went with a Remington 700 5R .308 MilSpec and it turned out to be a .25MOA Rifle @ 100yds. For between $1000-1200, its the best bang for the buck in sometimes better than most custom rifles! Good Luck tho if you wanna spend more.

I would go with a Tikka T3 Sporter and sell the stock and buy a KRG Chassis for it. You should be right around $2K for the rifle. I have really like my Tikka rifle. The Tikka action is much smoother than my Remington 700, the trigger is better, and it has much better accuracy.

I have a number of friends and family that have converted over to Tikka from Remington and other brands.

I used to be a big .308 shooter. I bought a .260 a few years back and have rarely shot the .308 since. I wish I would have gone .260 years earlier.

Last edited:
If you stay within your budget you could have a nice rifle built that will run with all the fancy named rifles that are out there in the shooting world. All the cool brand names and gadgets are cool and they look good too if your into showing off or bragging. Look at it like this: our country has been protected for many years with the good old Remington 700 and Schneider barrels, factory triggers modified and a simple glass bedding job. You can glass bed this combination in a pressure treated 4x4 and torque it between 55 and 65 inch pounds and put a good scope on it and smoke the majority of rifles that are out there. Yes I just said that! You will also have the ugliest gun on the range but it will work and shoot good. There is a reason why the 700 action is the most popular action used in the world. They are just not as cool anymore but the M40 series of rifles is still a 700. Sure there are many new actions out there with all the bells and whistles and I like them all but you mentioned a budget of around 2k. Buy you a pawnshop special Rem 700 SA, a Schneider SS 5P 1-11 twist USMC or varmint taper and have it chambered with a match piloted reamer from Manson Reamers, HS Precision or Bell & Carlson medalist stock and hog out about 3/8" deep of that aluminum block so you can glass it with Marine Tex or whatever you choose and torque your factory aluminum bottom metal to 55"lbs and load it with a Berger 175 VLD and 43 Grs of Varget and if it don't cut holes at 100 yds. I will buy it from you.

If you stay within your budget you could have a nice rifle built that will run with all the fancy named rifles that are out there in the shooting world. All the cool brand names and gadgets are cool and they look good too if your into showing off or bragging. Look at it like this: our country has been protected for many years with the good old Remington 700 and Schneider barrels, factory triggers modified and a simple glass bedding job. You can glass bed this combination in a pressure treated 4x4 and torque it between 55 and 65 inch pounds and put a good scope on it and smoke the majority of rifles that are out there. Yes I just said that! You will also have the ugliest gun on the range but it will work and shoot good. There is a reason why the 700 action is the most popular action used in the world. They are just not as cool anymore but the M40 series of rifles is still a 700. Sure there are many new actions out there with all the bells and whistles and I like them all but you mentioned a budget of around 2k. Buy you a pawnshop special Rem 700 SA, a Schneider SS 5P 1-11 twist USMC or varmint taper and have it chambered with a match piloted reamer from Manson Reamers, HS Precision or Bell & Carlson medalist stock and hog out about 3/8" deep of that aluminum block so you can glass it with Marine Tex or whatever you choose and torque your factory aluminum bottom metal to 55"lbs and load it with a Berger 175 VLD and 43 Grs of Varget and if it don't cut holes at 100 yds. I will buy it from you.

I completely agree 100%... The Remington 700 5R MilSpec was my first and best .308 choice ive ever shot and owned! It punches awesome holes at 100yds all day long without any modifications and fancy doo dads!

I completely agree 100%... The Remington 700 5R MilSpec was my first and best .308 choice ive ever shot and owned! It punches awesome holes at 100yds all day long without any modifications and fancy doo dads!

I also get great accuracy from my 5R. 1/3 MOA with FGMM 175 gr.

Honestly I would look around and see what the aftermarket support is like. I did this and went Remington. I also had a lower budget. You could easily go with an FN SPR A3g. That is a guaranteed 1/2 MOA gun that has a great barrel life. I would decide on the manufacturer then the caliber. There are plenty of guns that put up impressive accuracy numbers.

Chip

I own the Savage .260 Predator Hunter Max 1, and still need some time to do the work that could render a review I can be confident about.

Looking at the Savage lineup, though; I could see the Savage .260 Rem 11 Long Range Hunter doing pretty much what you'd be wanting it to do. Retailing at around $950, it leaves quite a lot of money in your budget, and the weight compromise makes it more suitable for walkabout. It is also a factory warrantied rifle, which counts high on my list of desirables.

Greg

Last edited:
Jonnyio,
I will tell you what I was told and the advice I followed from many of the good folks here. If you dont know specifically what rifle fits you best then go with the most flexible platform and, based on the number of gunsmiths and after market products I would suggest that is the Rem 700 platform. I had a lot of gunshop experts tell me what was best but nothing beat the advice I got here.

I agree with Flea and others.... Go with the Remington 700 5R MilSpec. While they are not always easy to find however they are a great value when you find them. I am not sure you are going to find a more accurate rifle right out of the box in your price range that will be easy to upgrade. And along the way, as you figure out what fits you best, its generally easy to upgrade the Remington 700 5R MilSpec.

Lastly, I suspect just about every rifle outshoots me and if I had a $2,000 budget I would not spend it all if I could find Remington 700 5R MilSpec. I would buy that rifle and use the rest for a great scope.

plus one for the 5R! Couldn't be more happy with it

i agree with the guys saying you can get a 700 and build from there, i went to the gun shop to get me a 5r and it had sold so i went with the 700 police... 1:12 heavy barrel rather than the 11.25 but it still shoots sub moa at 100 up to 200, havent tried any further... didnt even mess with it, all i did was just slaped on a 20moa rail, added a cheek riser, scoped it and go.... dont even think im going to mess with it.... i would like to get the 308 5r in a 20in threaded barrel later

I have about $1900 in my 700 .308 and it is a sub moa rifle all day long. Best group so far is 3.5 inches at 450 yards off a bipod and rear bag! I would strongly agree with the 700 build

I've been researching bolt guns in 308 for around $2k, mostly for target and a bit of hunting, maxing out around 800 yards. The problem is that there's so many options. I've been looking at Sako, Savage and countless others. I almost pulled the trigger on a Tikka T3 and came across a "outdoor life" article glowing over the Sig SSG 3000 patrol. Anyone have experience with either rifle? Or should I just break the bank and get a FN A3G? Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Check out the Group Buy http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...2013-remington-m700-accurizing-group-buy.html from Longrifles. You can build a custom and get what you want and stay within your budget.

Lastly, I suspect just about every rifle outshoots me and if I had a $2,000 budget I would not spend it all if I could find Remington 700 5R MilSpec. I would buy that rifle and use the rest for a great scope.

That's not bad advice. You could pick up the 5r and an SWFA 3-15x, then use whatever is left on the mount and rings. GTG.

There ya go.. I went with the hs precision from them as well. I sold the original bottom metal and covered most.of the cost for the new one.

Buy a good shooting factory rifle put good glass on it and spend extra money on ammo learning to shoot the thing. Rather than go custom. Pick your flavor, Remington, Savage FN, any brand that is highly rated. I picked Remington simply because I like the Remington brand. Picked up a 700P 7 years ago and dropped it in a mcmillan with mid grade glass for $2000 total. After owning it for 7 years It still shoots better than I can. One of these days I want to get it trued and or do a build on a custom action but just cause I want to and not because I need or have to.

Last edited: