• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for R700

Moo_x3

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Ohio
Hey guys,
I hate just jumping in and asking questions, but I was directed here from another forum I take part in for my AR15.

For background I have some pretty decent experience.
I've had my RRA AR for about 3 years.
In between that I have a 10/22 (sub MOA shooter, which is better than me most days:) )
I recently restored a .22 MAG that my grandfather passed down.

I've been reading up on R700's.
I know I want one but don't know what platform to start with.
I live in Ohio and our big gun show it coming up this weekend.

My use for the rifle won't be hunting, mostly just 100+yd shooting.
I've set my sights on the Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint. in .223
But I love to tinker, I mean that's why we're here right?

So I would like to have a platform that is easily upgradable, but not tooo expensive upfront. ($700 or less to start)

And by upgrade I see a lot of people do trigger work, different barrels, of course stocks.
is this a good starter? Should I look at a different model?

I appreciate your help in advance.
This should help my research quite a bit.
-thanks

Re: Looking for R700

also I should have noted.
I am to understand that there is a version with an internal mag.
Which is the one I'm referring to, and a "DM" model with detachable mag.
Does this make a difference.
Honestly. I can't see why you would want an internal mag.
is there something to this?

you would best be served .....by sitting on your hands for a spell, and figure on what EXACTLY it is you want, and consider the real implications on what it takes to go past 100yd....

you got all lathered up by all them gear queers from that other ar15 site.......sit and look around and learn something here before you start pissing in the wind.

^^^ What he said, patience will get you the right gear, and probably at a deal if you hang around here....

Yeah you will probably get a much better rem 700 here on the hide in the for sale section. Do some reading and use the search funtion. That sps rifle would be a good starter and I have seen them for 500 or less which leaves plenty of money for ammo while staying under your budget