• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for some advice .308Win

What would you do for a budget of $900 to get a .308 Win?

• BERGARA B-14

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • HOWA M1500

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • SAVAGE 110

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Weatherby Vanguard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THMI

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2023
LA
Hello. I'm new to the site and new to the world of shooting.
Looking for some advice on a rifle that can be purchased on a budget of around $900.
I don't know the details, but narrowed it down to .308 Win and looking on the internet I found Bergara and Howa in the affordable price. I don't see many reviews about Howa rifles, but do they have a good reputation? Would bergara perform better than Howa? I'd love to hear your options between these two as well as any pros/cons you've experienced with them. Thank you so much!

There is a ton of information on this website about the Howa. Here is the longest thread:

I chose the Howa 1500 barreled action from Brownells over the Begara because:

1. I can choose my stock.
2. One piece bolt.
3. Easy bolt takedown.
4. Easier trigger removal.
5. There seems to be more love for Howa over Begara on this website in general.

I chose Howa over Tikka as Beretta’s customer service is known to be horrible and I value post-purchase support.

I didn’t consider the Savage but I dislike their Glock-style trigger even if it is replaceable.

With a bit of Emory cloth and a bit of stoning and stropping the bolt lift and bolt running are smoother than at least one brand of custom action I have tried. Clip 3/4 of a coil off the trigger spring and you can get a nice 2.25lb trigger pull on the stock factory trigger. I have gotten both my 308 and 6.5 to cloverleaf at 100 yards.

For my uses, I cannot envision a better platform, and the Howa barreled action in a KRG Bravo seems like a good combination that will meet your financial requirements.

-Stan

Last edited:
Reactions: Hopar
I'll say Howa out of those but the Weatherby Vangard is made for them by Howa so essentially same/same with regards to accessories.

B14 is rem 700 footprint so rem700 stocks & triggers I believe are drop in.

Have been very happy with Howa's myself & will likely add more to the safe.

Reactions: THMI
could do one better a friend recently picked up a nice tika hunting rifle from a pawn shop the stock was a little buggered up he just got in his replacement stock a mdt xlr and his cost was 137 for the gun and 400 ish for the chassis now after the factory barrel is shot out he's going to replace it with a much better heavier contour barrel and that will drive the price much higher as will the bi pod bags ammo and scope but the gun he picked up on the cheap mostly cause the stock was pretty much fried . best of luck to you regardless of what you get .

Tikka is hard to beat. I have a Tikka T3X Lite in a MDT HNT 26 stock and it's pretty awesome. That setup isn't $900 but the standard stock worked just fine for me, I just wanted the folder capability and to use AICS mags. Took my first buck with it last year before getting the MDT stock. You can see it leaned up against the tree in the background.

IMG_5152.jpeg

IMG_5089.jpeg

SH is predominantly a Tikka site, so even if you didn`t list them, that`s what you`ll probably get for the most responses. They are fine rifles.

• Haha
Reactions: msgriff and THMI
There is a ton of information on this website about the Howa. Here is the longest thread:

I chose the Howa 1500 barreled action from Brownells over the Begara because:

1. I can choose my stock.
2. One piece bolt.
3. Easy bolt takedown.
4. Easier trigger removal.
5. There seems to be more love for Howa over Begara on this website in general.

I chose Howa over Tikka as Beretta’s customer service is known to be horrible and I value post-purchase support.

I didn’t consider the Savage but I dislike their Glock-style trigger even if it is replaceable.

With a bit of Emory cloth and a bit of stoning and stropping the bolt lift and bolt running are smoother than at least one brand of custom action I have tried. Clip 3/4 of a coil off the trigger spring and you can get a nice 2.25lb trigger pull on the stock factory trigger. I have gotten both my 308 and 6.5 to cloverleaf at 100 yards.

For my uses, I cannot envision a better platform, and the Howa barreled action in a KRG Bravo seems like a good combination that will meet your financial requirements.

-Stan
Thank you! It seems that Howa is a popular manufacturer. There are some negative comments about their magazines on the forums, but have you had any complaints or problems with your HOWA rifle?

Reactions: stanley_white
Questions about which brand of rifle might be better inevitably evolves primarily into fans of a given brand promoting said brand. That`s fine, but IMHO is of little value when it comes to comparisons. Unfortunately, rare is it that feedback/comparisons come from experienced owners/shooters of all or some of the brands under consideration. I posted about my 110 and how it`s served me well. Nice to know, maybe, but hardly an objective comparison, side by side with experience, of any of the others on the list.

• Haha
Reactions: msgriff and THMI
Thank you! It seems that Howa is a popular manufacturer. There are some negative comments about their magazines on the forums, but have you had any complaints or problems with your HOWA rifle?
I run my Howa in an MDT ACC chassis and have had no problems whatsoever. None. I have used Magpul AICS and AI brand AICS with 100% reliable feeding.

-Stan

I haven't had either in .308, but my Howas and Bergaras in 6.5 have been boringly accurate.

I did have problems with the Howa mag, rounds nose diving. A lot. I got so aggravated 1 day I just threw it in the garbage. Never had an issue with it using either Magpul or steel AICS mags.

Get whichever you can get the best price on, you'll be happy with either.

Questions about which brand of rifle might be better inevitably evolves primarily into fans of a given brand promoting said brand. That`s fine, but IMHO is of little value when it comes to comparisons. Unfortunately, rare is it that feedback/comparisons come from experienced owners/shooters of all or some of the brands under consideration. I posted about my 110 and how it`s served me well. Nice to know, maybe, but hardly an objective comparison, side by side with experience, of any of the others on the list.
Thank you for your comment!
Could you tell me what made you decide to buy Savage?

As spokesman for the gay community why 308? As you get more and more into shooting 6.5 Creed in the 21st century 308. (Be prepared for the gay comments, it's a running gag, but we all have them)

On rifles:
Tikka, Bergara, Howa.

I went barreled action Howa and picked up a KRG bravo stock--As I need check height adjust and LOP as well.

It's literally 2 screws to install and an Allen wrench

• Haha
OK, this is a funny post in what way? Guess I`m missing the joke!

Thank you for your comment!
Could you tell me what made you decide to buy Savage?
I`ve only been shooting rifles for a little over two years ( well, not counting my time in the service ). I didn`t know how enamored I might or might not be with target shooting so I didn`t want to spend a lot of money until I found that out. If possible, I wanted a scope/gun package for a first rifle. I did a lot of reading and talking to a long time friend who has forgotten more about rifles than I`ll ever know and has a bunch of them. He told me that there were lots of good brands and he said that while he personally thought that they were " clunky ", Savage rifles have a reputation for shooting well out of the box. Soooo....I decided on a Savage 110 Storm in .223. Could be used for casual range shooting as well as the occasional pig and predator hunt. Came with a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9X40 mounted and bore sighted. Just my own experience, mind, but I could not be more pleased with its function and performance. Since, I have added a 93R17 17 HMR and recently a Savage Model 12 LRPV for a dedicated range gun.

OK, this is a funny post in what way? Guess I`m missing the joke!
You mentioned 'Savage' in a positive manner. The hide is not kind to Savage AND we had a guy banned recently who was such a Savage troll it was ridiculous.

Anyway Savage tends to be less refined, but they shoot straight, have a barrel nut for easy caliber/barrel switch. It's a budget option.

You mentioned 'Savage' in a positive manner. The hide is not kind to Savage AND we had a guy banned recently who was such a Savage troll it was ridiculous.

Anyway Savage tends to be less refined, but they shoot straight, have a barrel nut for easy caliber/barrel switch. It's a budget option.
Absolutely it`s a budget option, I`ve never said otherwise. That`s one of the main reasons that one was my first rifle. I added two others because the first one gave me no cause not to. I have a tendency to go with my own experiences and judgement in most things, guns are no different for me. However, I`ll add that my time on the planet, which I suppose is now in the considerable range, has taught me not to discount and not consider other opinions.... when they`re presented in a reasoned and civilly put manner.

And just out of curiosity, who is the " we " in "WE had a guy banned...." ? So far, I`ve not seen a forum rule against a positive comment concerning a Savage rifle. In mentioning Savage in a positive manner, based solely on my own personal experience, does that somehow make me a " Savage troll" ?

Last edited:
Ok so "we" didn't the staff did. No, mentioning Savage positively is not trolling. Just Look up FclassParadise. The dude was bonkers and earned a ban cat pounce.

Some thick skin and sense of humor goes a long way. But just a heads up--Savage does get dogpiled on.

Suggestion:
Looked at your location. There may be some members here from your area. I know they do have some meets where they get together. Perhaps you could get in touch with them and actually have a chance to maybe shoot some of the weapons you are asking about.
What city are you near ?

Ok so "we" didn't the staff did. No, mentioning Savage positively is not trolling. Just Look up FclassParadise. The dude was bonkers and earned a ban cat pounce.

Some thick skin and sense of humor goes a long way. But just a heads up--Savage does get dogpiled on.
Thanks, appreciate the heads up, but I`m not a newbie to SH and have seen the " abuse ". I just don`t pay it much mind.

Of the rifles listed, I’d go howa.

However, if i were on a budget, I’d save a few extra bucks for the tikka.