• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for some advice

I was curious if it was the gun or the caliber you didn’t like. But you answered my question now. I’m so confused. One person loves savage and hates howa and the next is the opposite
Im not sure if you bought anything yet but your confusion stems from the fact that you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel with your budget so some will recommend a particular brand while others will recommend another but anything in this price range will have its share of promoters and deteactors…I’m partial to Remington 700s (the 700P and 5Rs, specifically) but like the other makes, theres pros and cons.

Just pick the one that has the features / attributes you value the most or hold onto your money until you can afford something better (what i would do if i were you), if you’re still confused and haven’t spend any money yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mschrum
Savage barrels are easier to find a good deal on. Tikka barrels need to be cut off. Savage has a floating bolt head and accutrigger? And if those aren’t good enough reasons beating the custom rig with a savage you Frankensteined yourself with a fired piece piece of brass from someone else’s rifle for a headspace gauge is satisfying enough. I am still talking benchrest. If he’s going for prs type shooting I would recommend Tikka or Remington 700. If he could double his budget then Zermatt Origin.

Tikka barrels don't need to be cut off, I've pulled three factory barrels and a buddy who had never worked on a rifle managed to do a couple tikka's as well without an issue.

Im not sure if you bought anything yet but your confusion stems from the fact that you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel with your bidget so some will recommend a particular brand while others will recommend another but anything in this price range will have its share of promoters and deteactors…I’m partial to Remington 700s (the 700P and 5Rs, specifically) but like the other makes, theres pros and cons.

Just pick the one that has the features / attributes you value the most or hold onto your money until you can afford something better (what i would do if i were you), if you’re still confused and haven’t spend any money yet.
I haven’t gotten anything yet. If I double my budget that takes all the money I have for optics. Haven’t even asked that question yet! Lol.

I was curious if it was the gun or the caliber you didn’t like. But you answered my question now. I’m so confused. One person loves savage and hates howa and the next is the opposite
The question/inquiry that you pose will actually get much the same type of response regardless of the site upon which you post it. Mostly proponents of the respondent`s favorite brand. That can lead to the confusion that you mention. Sniper`s Hide is largely a pro-Tikka site. Nothing wrong with that, Tikka manufactures a fine rifle. Just don`t expect a dispassionate review of other brands, at least for the most part.

The question/inquiry that you pose will actually get much the same type of response regardless of the site upon which you post it. Mostly proponents of the respondent`s favorite brand. That can lead to the confusion that you mention. Sniper`s Hide is largely a pro-Tikka site. Nothing wrong with that, Tikka manufactures a fine rifle. Just don`t expect a dispassionate review of other brands, at least for the most part.
I would totally do a tikka but I have never seen one in any of my local shops. And not many for sale on here either. I thought for sure someone on here would have a good starter for me but not much has come up. Just need to wait I guess.

I found this at my local shop. Rem 700 heavy barrel in 308. $550

Mike,

I believe that is a Remington 700 Varmint, which is basically a 26" SPS or 700P without the various stocks, threaded muzzles and finishes. They are typically good shooters. You could probably find a KRG bravo stock between $300-$350 and then decide on the optic of choice/budget (Check the For Sale Forums too). The SPS version or 700P, 5Rs may be worth the extra coin just for the threaded muzzle and often you could sell the HS stocks for decent money recoup. I see often that guys want threaded muzzles for a brake and adding muzzle threads is another $100-125.

When you start doing the math, you are not too far from a base model Tikka, unless your budget is firm. I was shooting next to a guy not too long ago that had a Tika T3X, in a bravo stock (AICS) in 6.5 that was a shooter. His rifle was around $700 new and the Bravo stock was around $350. Close to your budget, but still without a threaded muzzle.

For future barrel changes, both Tikkas and Remington require some dedication to get the factory barrels off, but its not impossible.

Last edited:
I would totally do a tikka but I have never seen one in any of my local shops. And not many for sale on here either. I thought for sure someone on here would have a good starter for me but not much has come up. Just need to wait I guess.
A very good friend and hunting buddy of mine ordered a Tikka in .223 several weeks ago from a LGS and was told that they have no earthly idea when it might be available through the shop`s distributors, only that it will probably be a LONG wait. Kind of like the Ford truck I ordered LAST APRIL. Got a message from Ford last month that they still haven`t started construction on the truck! Gave up and bought a lightly used one.

Buy a Ruger American predator in 223 with a 1-8 twist. 26951 is the sku and many places have it available. Make yourself a cheek rest with some foam and electrical tape. When it’s time to start shooting past 500 yards you will need to upgrade the scope.
Might not be a bad idea, particularly if you wish to shoot anytime in the foreseeable future! .223 is fine out to about 500 yards, maybe a bit further with reading the wind.

I haven’t gotten anything yet. If I double my budget that takes all the money I have for optics. Haven’t even asked that question yet! Lol.
Your money, your call. Like anything else you will get only what you pay for.

I think you could get a somewhat half decent rifle for around a grand to tide you over until you can upgrade down the line but whatever you do, DO NOT spend any money on cheap chinese-made scopes (too many fuckers do so).

A 10x swfa would be a good buy if you’re funds are severely limited.

Your money, your call. Like anything else you will get only what you pay for.

I think you could get a somewhat half decent rifle for around a grand to tide you over until you can upgrade down the line but whatever you do, DO NOT spend any money on cheap chinese-made scopes (too many fuckers do so).

A 10x swfa would be a good buy if you’re funds are severely limited.
Is 10x enough to be accurate at 300 yards ??

Is 10x enough to be accurate at 300 yards ??
Lol, what’s your definition of “accurate”?

Mine is consistently hitting what you’re aiming at.

What size targets are you planning on shooting at that distance?

Lol, what’s your definition of “accurate”?

Mine is consistently hitting what you’re aiming at.

What size targets are you planning on shooting at that distance?

Attachments

• 5D00735B-2934-42EE-A7F4-2C1A3461797E.png
    5D00735B-2934-42EE-A7F4-2C1A3461797E.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
@Mschrum Assuming your eyesight is decent (corrected or uncorrected) and your platform (rifle and 10x optic) and ammo are performing as they should then precision at 300m shouldn’t be a problem.

Whether or not you’re also accurate depends on numerous other things beyond your scope’s max magnification (your wind compensation, correct elevation hold over, etc). Accuracy only enters the equation when the shooter enters the equation.

I had no problem hitting 12” gongs at 700m with 10x with my .308 Remington 700P (factory barrel/chamber) using a USO SN3 1.8-10 when I had it but your mileage may vary.

Did you shoot those targets at 200m? If so, with what?

@Mschrum Assuming your eyesight is decent (corrected or uncorrected) and your platform (rifle and 10x optic) and ammo are performing as they should then precision at 300m shouldn’t be a problem.

Whether or not you’re also accurate depends on numerous other things beyond your scope’s max magnification (your wind compensation, correct elevation hold over, etc). Accuracy only enters the equation when the shooter enters the equation.

I had no problem hitting 12” gongs at 700m with 10x with my .308 Remington 700P (factory barrel/chamber) using a USO SN3 1.8-10 when I had it but your mileage may vary.

Understood. And no, just pulled the picture off the clubs fb page.

I’m hoping that was the youth shoot ! Lol

Well I ended up with a Bergara B14 in 308 with a night force 12x42x56 scope. I’ve been trying to work up a load and just can’t nail one down. I get a the powder charge to line up then try and work the bullet seat depth then it just falls apart. Have shots all over the place. I’ve tried little bullets big bullets and 150s in the middle. Anyone have any thoughts or maybe have a bergara and wanna share some info ? I’ll be shooting 100,200 and 300 yards.

Attachments

• 09596D76-0AA5-417F-8AF3-A690113B69DF.jpeg
    09596D76-0AA5-417F-8AF3-A690113B69DF.jpeg
    651.9 KB · Views: 21
168 sierra matching 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 loaded to 2.81.
Also, my first outings with a scope that had really good glass, I found myself focusing on the target instead of the crosshairs, affecting accuracy

Reactions: Mschrum