• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Looking for some advice/recommendations on my first suppressor

houndog

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2005
Subject line says it all. I own multiple AR's and until recently didn't live in a state that allowed suppressors. Looking to get my first suppressor and hoping for some recommendations. This would ideally be switched between several AR's, including 16" PWS, 2 LaRue's (one with a 16" barrel, the other with a 12" barrel), a KAC with an 11-12" barrel in 300 BO and a LaRue in 6.5 CM. Right now, I'm kind of leaning towards the LaRue because I have several LaRue rifles with Tranquillo brakes, so it would pretty easy to attach. Two other considerations are that the LaRue's aren't that pricey and they apparently don't have as much blowback as other suppressors and I shoot lefty so I really don't want a ton of gas in my face. However, don't know a lot about LaRue suppressors, and compared to some other models they don't seem to be all that popular.

I know there are a ton of other options including KAC (expensive, but I'm sure very well made), Dead Air Sandman, Surefire, and SilencerCo. I really don't want something super heavy, so weight would be a consideration. As a lefty, blowback is also a factor. Finally, while I certainly intend to put several thousand rounds through it a year, I don't need something that can hold up to 80,000 rounds or full auto.

The sandman S is well built but heavy, if you want lighter weight that typically means titanium but it’s not recommended to be doing mag dumps with a Ti can.

If blowback is a big concern you might wanna look at OSS as they’re made specifically for that. Dead airs nomad is also said to reduce blowback and they offer several variants and mounting options, just make sure you add everything up for the mounting system you want as they can add a good bit on top of the weight of the can.

I’m sure the TBAC dominus is worth a look too but I believe it’s fairly heavy as it’s built for abuse.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Some good suggestions - but:

TBAC is $1500.:(

OSS Ti is $1300.:(

The Nomad is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper and really light. Ti model is even lighter and I don't intend to do mag dumps, so might be a contender.

LaRue is pretty cheap and I have a couple of uppers with Tranquillo brakes, so it would attach right on. Also, supposedly really good at handling blow back. But Jesus they are heavy. Maybe I just need to get a couple of weights and start doing curls. Any one have experience w/LaRue suppressors?