• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for someone to reload for me

Joseph_lh98

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2020
I recently bought a savage 111 chambered in 338 lapua mag. And I do not have the funds to get into reloading but want the accuracy of custom hand loads. I am looking for someone who would be willing to reload for me if I shipped them brass that has been shot through my gun, powder, primers and projectiles. If anyone would be interested we can discuss payment. Thanks

You are going to be running into a lot of hurdles!!!! Like to make handloads for YOUR rifle, the individual/company NEEDS to have your rifle...then you are going to run into regulatory issues with sending powder and primers....and more issues with someone manufacturing ammunition for resale....just saying :)

I recently bought a savage 111 chambered in 338 lapua mag. And I do not have the funds to get into reloading but want the accuracy of custom hand loads. I am looking for someone who would be willing to reload for me if I shipped them brass that has been shot through my gun, powder, primers and projectiles. If anyone would be interested we can discuss payment. Thanks

Bruhhhhh, why did you buy a 338 lapua mag if you can't afford to reload for it?

I'll try not to be the asshole who gives no solutions so heres your options:

Get with a company like Unknown Munitions(there are others I believe too). They make custom loaded ammo, and you CAN send them your brass, but obviously cannot send them anything else in the process....besides bullets.

GOOD custom ammo like that is NOT cheap. Then add in that skunk factor that is 338LM and that shit starts smelling like $100 bills real quick.

I would hit up Unknown Munitions and see what they'd charge. IF anyone, I would imagine they can make you legit ass ammo with your brass for a reasonable price....which is still not cheap but for what you're getting, its legit.

Then compare that with the cost of buying a bare bones loading setup to make accurate ammo....of course then theres that whole experience factor. The less experienced you are reloading the greater chance you have of making ammo that isn't up to snuff....but it can be done. Lucky for you Large Rifle Magnum primers are still in stock at some places and you can probably find a useable powder somewhere.

I think those are your only two real options....short of finding factory ammo that works well in your gun lol

GOOD custom ammo like that is NOT cheap. Then add in that skunk factor that is 338LM and that shit starts smelling like $100 bills real quick.

I would hit up Unknown Munitions and see what they'd charge. IF anyone, I would imagine they can make you legit ass ammo with your brass for a reasonable price....which is still not cheap but for what you're getting, its legit.

Then compare that with the cost of buying a bare bones loading setup to make accurate ammo....of course then theres that whole experience factor. The less experienced you are reloading the greater chance you have of making ammo that isn't up to snuff....but it can be done. Lucky for you Large Rifle Magnum primers are still in stock at some places and you can probably find a useable powder somewhere.

Agree.

If cost is really a factor, then there's no way trying to get someone to do custom loads for you will be cheaper than getting into reloading yourself. Nobody is going to do it for free, and you definitely don't want someone you don't know (no reputation) doing it.

For one caliber the investment won't be massive. Used single-stage press, good dies, used case-prep tools, and a lot of time learning will get you where you want to be.

Pretty sure you need a FFL to manufacture ammo for someone else?

That’s correct. The reloader would also be liable for any damage (personal or property) that occurred do to the reloads.

For this reason it’s unadvisable to reload for another or to shoot reloads provided by another. Period!

Bruhhhhh, why did you buy a 338 lapua mag if you can't afford to reload for it?

I'll try not to be the asshole who gives no solutions so heres your options:

Get with a company like Unknown Munitions(there are others I believe too). They make custom loaded ammo, and you CAN send them your brass, but obviously cannot send them anything else in the process....besides bullets.

I think those are your only two real options....short of finding factory ammo that works well in your gun lol

This.

And to reiterate why a 338LM?

Reactions: Romeo458
Factory ammo has come a long way. I would try some factory loads before you venture in to custom ammo. I have see single digit SDs out of factory ammo many times. Precision loading is a deep dark rabbit hole with lots to learn on your way there.

Reactions: Pilotscrappy

You need to contact these guys:

They will work with you to determine the best custom load for your rifle by sending you out test packs and then once you have determined the optimum load with them, you can order the same custom loading over and over.

It's not something that an individual can legally do for you for profit.
Most commercial places no longer use customer supplied components due to too many problems.

You'll find that the amount you pay to have someone else reload "custom" ammo for you will quickly lead you to either:
a. be happy with factory ammo
b. make the $400 to $600 investment in a bare minimum of reloading equipment.

You might also consider getting 20 round boxes of factory ammunition from several different sources, such as Lapua, Prime and other top name brands, try both stuff in the 250gr and up to the 300gr and see what your rifle likes. You may find a factory load that your rifle really likes.

Buy Lapua ammo with 250g Scenars, hit your targets at 1000+ with boring regularity and save yourself a lot of headaches dicking around with “custom” ammo...Black Hills, Prime and Hornady also make good ammo with 250-300g match projectiles if Lapua ain’t available.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
As others have said, load packs are going to be your best bet.

Actually having someone take your rifle and develop a load for it will be in the $500+ range and you could buy a starter loading kit for that.

Full custom load work up is for people who work too much/have very little free time or no interest in learning how to load, but have the money to afford it.

And loading is part of the equation when you really want to test your rifle and yourself.

Very little is more satisfying than one ragged hole with cartridges you developed and loaded yourself.

It isn't about saving money at a certain level. It is about you vs yourself and bettering that last target or group. It is you perfecting the whole package. Shooter, rifle and ammo.

Buy a loading setup and never look back! Though I daresay start handloading with something a bit tamer than .338. Like 5.56 or .300 blk.

Go for it! The advice you got above is good. And if you find someone with a loading setup locally to teach you... it will help even more. Plus you are in one of the greatest resources for loading info... Snipers Hide.

Sirhr

It isn't about saving money at a certain level. It is about you vs yourself and bettering that last target or group. It is you perfecting the whole package. Shooter, rifle and ammo.

Buy a loading setup and never look back! Though I daresay start handloading with something a bit tamer than .338. Like 5.56 or .300 blk.

I absolutely agree! It's def not a money saver once you start going down the rabbit hole but it is much more engaging and rewarding, and I feel like it helps you develop as a more well-rounded shooter. But I will go against the grain and say, when you're talking about factory rounds that cost $5 a pop on average that can be reloaded for $1.25-$1.50, that $4-500 starting setup starts to make economic sense WAY faster than 5.56 where you're only saving $.10 per round.

Id much rather find someone to teach me how to reload than find someone to do it for me the whole give a man a fish feed him for a day , teach a man to fish help him learn a skill so he can feed himself for a life time deal . though hand loads can be fun to shoot really fun its got to be a good feeling knowing the fruit of your time and labor shot really well or shot like crapola .good luck finding that special someone to either do it for you or help you to do it your self .

Unknown munitions also has load development packs FYI.
I enjoy the satisfaction of reloading and shooting but to each their own

Reactions: Gustav7
They have not supposedly logged back in since posting it either.

I say there is a pretty good idea we know what kind of person that is.

He offers the service your looking for.

Clay is awesome. I’ve shot his ammo. Super nice guy, helpful, just great to deal with. Also loads for several top PRS guys, and is himself a top PRS guy.

I’ve been very pleased with Andrew from McCourt munitions.

A local-ish gun shop called Advanced Bullets in Temple, GA will develop hand loads for your rifle. Expect to pay well for it, and they need the gun.