• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for the best Long Action ELR cartridge for use with std .473 bolt face. Thoughts?

The Sherman’s are based off the saum case
Reply #13

Again, I am positive that the 6.5 Sherman is based on the 280 Ackley Improved case, this quote is directly from Sherman’s website:

6.5 SHERMAN

The 6.5 Sherman was the first wildcat created by me and was a result of my appreciation of what the A.I. version would do. I wanted to create at least the velocity of the Gibbs, but with a better case design. The 6.5 Sherman accomplishes just that with a .300” neck which the Gibbs is sorely lacking, but with 75 grain capacity. The 6.5 Sherman has been proven to be king of the ’06 head sized cases, and in fact, will run right with the WM with a lot less powder. With RWS and Norma brass available, it is a difficult combo to beat with max velocities reached of 3100 with a 160 and 3300 with a 140 grain bullet!

This is a flat shooting, hard hitting cartridge is suitable for long range hunting of animals such as deer, elk, and even moose size when loaded with the proper bullet.

My favorite powders for this cartridge are RL23, RL26, RL33, H1000 and N570. Barrel twist rate of 1:8” is preferred for most applications. Velocities listed are with 26” or longer barrels, but the cartridge is efficient enough to get some pretty impressive results down to 20-22” barrels, which can’t be said of a WM.

Please don't confuse the standard Sherman with the short, short tactical or the max. I realize that this is confusing, but in a .473" bolt face, the 6.5 Sherman is going to be tough to beat

Again, I am positive that the 6.5 Sherman is based on the 280 Ackley Improved case, this quote is directly from Sherman’s website:

Please don't confuse the standard Sherman with the short, short tactical or the max. I realize that this is confusing, but in a .473" bolt face, the 6.5 Sherman is going to be tough to beat
Nothing sherman maskes is a elr cartridge

Nothing sherman maskes is a elr cartridge
The whole idea of taking a saami cartridge and pishing the shoulder back to create a longer neck then improving it to gain back what you lost to end up with what you started with is just senceless any way

Im pretty sure theres a guy in colorado that can open the bolt face up, my smith sends surgeon 1086 down there to get the bolt face opened to .590

Just got the .590 bolt body in from Surgeon and I'm glad I went the route I did. Completely different geometry for the extractor on the mag bolt vs. standard. Not sure if the extractor placement on the new bolt is a revision (original bolt/action is a Prague OK action, 007XX serial #), or if that design is specific to just the .590 bolts.

Either way, the picture illustrates how far out the original extractor would have to be to interface with the case rim on a .590 case. The .473 extractor is maxed out before it even gets to the outside edge of the bolt body. Would probably be a lot more spendy operation than a new bolt, if it's even possible.

IMG_1046.JPG

Now that you have a .590 bolt, I vote for a 300 NM improved or 338 LM AI.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
Now that you have a .590 bolt, I vote for a 300 NM improved or 338 LM AI.
33 or 37XC!

The plan in my head thus far is .300 Norma. Wanted to stick with .30 cal as my Ultra 7 I bought on a group buy at shot show FINALLY got form 3'd to my dealer this week (10 months later...). Once that tax stamp comes back I was planning on using that on as many guns as I could for the time being.

Might have to look into .300 NM AI though, that sounds like fun.

284 Shehane. Most efficient use of powder & highest BC projectiles for the std boltface.

edit - didn't see the 2nd page - guess my response is moot now!

Reactions: Wolf762x51