• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to buy land....Any suggestions?

Bad-Andy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2011
Hawai'i
Looking to buy some land, 1000 acres+ in the Montana/Wyoming area. Possibly in the Jackson area of Wyoming. Any suggestions? Not looking for flat plains type land, more mountainous if possible. Originally was looking in the Oregon/Idaho area, but not so sure now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Aloha,
Andy

Re: Looking to buy land....Any suggestions?

I have to say unless you have at minimum Mid 7 figures laying around for this your going to be very hard pressed to find that kinda ground in the Mountain west parts of MT. Even then 5-6m is going to be a decent deal and your going to be A LONG ways from nearly anything including a grocery store

In the Jackson Hole area of WY forget about it, the billionaires are kicking the multimillionaires out

For that kinda ground at a more reasonable price point your going to have to look further east, outta the mountains

Landwatch.com and landandfarm.com are both good sites to get an idea of what you're looking for. Frankly, the budget will be the biggest determinant of where you go, and that's none of my business to ask. Start on those two websites and just put information into the filter (how many acres, budget, etc).

What kind of cash are you looking to spend? If you are really serious, I have land in mind that we've been working on to purchase for about 2 years in the Jackson area. Seller is startign to get desperate and we may be able to work out a partnership. PM for details. I will not disclose location without a little vetting. This is prime hunting and fishing ground.

United Country Real Estate

You want 1000acres in the mountains of WY(Jackson) or ID or MT?....Please get yourself boots on the ground and figure out where you want to be. I own property in Drake, CO and recently acquired ground in White Bird, ID. The ID property will be my final landing spot but even there its only 30acres....

1000acres in the same area would be 1.5-2M...then you gotta drive a well, and drag materials in to build a home worthy of that property. If you find smaller parcels bordering BLM or parks you would be much better off....why buy the cow when you can have the milk for free.

Of course the other option is you build a greenhouse and starting growing for OR or CO recreational use. Then you can subsidize that large of a parcel.

Yeah I have to agree with pretty much everybody so far. 1K acres in that part if the state is any easy 5-8 millon. If it borders any state or BLM or has the lease on any bordering public land then its going to be even higher. Throw in a creek or resivoir, power ready, water well(s), access roads, and a few other factors and you are looking at a pretty substantial amount of money. And this is all pending you can find that much for sale over that way. Even 1K acres of flat prairie land with power or power near by and a water well is pretty damn pricy these days. In think you better hit the ground and check things out in person. Or if you are a multi-millionaire then disregard all that and good for you for making something for yourself and and having some F U money and being able to do what you want.

Jackson is the ritzy part of WY (if there is such a thing). Somebody mentioned 7 figures - I think that is generous. With any kind of amenities 1,000 acres in Jackson valley/area will more likely be in the 8 figures range. Another thing to consider is that much of the mountainous land in MT/WY is gov't. owned - there is not that much available for private ownership. If you are talking plains or even hill land, you have a lot more reasonable, and less left leaning options than Jackson.

There is land in utah to be had fairly cheap. I saw a full section advertised on landandfarm.com for 250 an acre (160K). Not as glamorous as WY or MT imo, but if the goal is a remote homestead perhaps to develop an off the grid system, then it may fit the bill.

I'm willing to bet if you know you're looking for 1K acres, and you're used to land prices in Hawaii, you got the bank to make it happen. If so, thats awesome. Keep up the good work. You're doing something right.

Check out LandReport.com - The Magazine of the American Landowner. A couple years ago I found a dream property there. It was roughly 80k acres in Eastern Wyoming. It had rolling hills, some wooded areas, three houses, one main lodge (big ass log home), and a couple trout streams. Tons of wildlife here. The asking price was around $30M. Probably won't ever be able to afford that myself, but that won't stop me from trying.

Get a good Real Estate Broker that deals primarily in just LAND and call them. Companies like Weyerhauser and Pope often use specific Brokers who are extremely knowledgeable in that field and deal in larger parcels. I would not recommend using a residential Broker. Land sales are a lot more complicated than a standard home purchase especially when dealing with acreage of that size. And the best advice... Be careful what advice you take online and especially in a forum that has nothing to do with real estate. It's like asking people relationship advice here...

Nothing wrong with the other side of the Tetons. Run across into Idaho..around Driggs.. beauty of JH but not the pricetag.

Northern Idaho is pretty nice too ya know. My parents live in Athol not far from Coeur D Alene. Taking the road north past Sandpoint there is some unbelievably beautiful areas that go right into Montana. I could live out there in a heart beat!

It depends on your intentions on the lands use, I live in the mountains of northern arkansas land is much cheaper here but again, depends on your intent. We have bear, deer, elk, turkey, etc to hunt and lots of great fishing. My town was named #1 hunting and fishing destination in the US for a reason.