• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Looking to buy my first PVS14

317millhand

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Hazard, Ky
I've researched and studied on the different models, tubes, manufacturers, vendors, etc. to the point that Im tired of looking. Im hoping to purchase a unit that I can mount on a 5.56 AR and possibly a 300 blackout in conjunction with an Eotech. Helmet mount is not out of the question, instead of paying mega bucks for something to handle 300 blackout.

My question is, what is the best deal out there? I have noticed that CS tactical has packages available right now with a helmet and mount for 3 grand. Are these any good? I've also considered a used unit, but I really want a warranty with anything this expensive that takes batteries.

First what do you have to spend? You have several good vendors here on this forum MOD armory has some nice high end systems the around 4K their filmless ICT tube and Ultra mil-spec pinnacle system.TNVC has several choices and packages available and don't look past ASM he has everything from budject systems to mega high end filmless systems. I have a ultra mil spec pinnacle 14 super clean Blem wise high spec 32SN,2400+ photo , low EBI pretty much best tube I have owned overall. That said ASM sold me a Blem grade tube for my dad very fair price i
And to be honest performance wise it's only small touch below my ultra 14 on a cloudy star light only night rural area. You can over think tube specs a lot of times.

Last edited:
A lot of people cant tell the difference in tubes with varying specs, to echo what Phantom223 said. Get a good deal from a reputable maker and you'll be happy.

Another plug for ASM's blem tubes. Frankie is great to deal with and I haven't seen any better NVG for the money.

Dude, I just went through all this a few months ago and I feel 'ya. You can dig through my threads if you like. I have a high standard and I narrowed it down to two. ITT factory hand select, or L3. L3 will license others to assemble the device and call it L3. If you get a factory ITT model, they made it. ITT can be clearer, L3 handles a bit more recoil. This is because the film in the ITT is thinner. Not sure about .300BLK, but if it's acceleration is less than 6.8mmSPC's then it's okay with the L3 (according to them). ITT is only good for 5.56, and I wouldn't do it then. I have a mount for it, but I've never used it. You'll want a PEQ or other IR laser once you get the 14's.

I went with TNVC because out of all the dealers I talked with on here and personally, they gave me the least bullshit, no sales tactics and could answer every question without trying to dazzle you with bullshit. They claim they can get better numbers making them themselves in-house using ITT and L3 tubes, but know they don't have an ISO clean room if that matters, nor will it come with the factory build sheet. They can't verify numbers until it's finished, but they claim they can get high signal to noise AND resolution, which would essentially make it better than what I got for less. But I wanted the factory shit.

I went with ITT factory hand select, I got all high numbers and the factory build sheet with it (which aids in resale value if that matters). Only low number was resolution and it was well within spec, just not maxxed out. I waited a month, but only because Vic spec'd high numbers. They even called when the signal to noise ratio numbers were under by a couple tenths of a percent to make sure that'd be okay with me.

Forget milspec. The hand select can and usually will have higher specifications to order. OH. One last thing. Omni8 specs are the newest specs, but Omni7 is stricter. So strict they loosened the specs because so many got rejected. The ITT hand select that TNVC sells is Omni7 spec and made in ITT's cleanroom.

There is no such thing as true gen.4, don't fall for that (wikipedia night vision). There are filmless tubes and some say they can handle .308, but the first ones were rejected because they couldn't handle field use. Now they mainly use 'em for pilots who aren't falling into trees and rocks.

Finally, I can't say enough good about TNVC's CS. Crye left me hanging when the armor shell of their helmet got damaged just from installing the shroud. TNVC took that $900 helmet back no questions asked and sent it on back to Crye. New one has no issues. I only deal with them now regarding this stuff. Professional, and most of the guys there are vets or active duty and it shows.

If Vic chimes in here and corrects anything I said, listen to him. He and Clasky really know their shit.

you can read all day about the various systems and come up with a ton of information. Much of it depends on what you are really going to do with your set up. I went through a lot of that and have used a lot of different equipment in various adventures overseas. Much of which we do not have access to here CONUS. I have had dealings with the vendors here and my best experience by far has been with Modarmory.com. I deal with Hunter, and he is very straight forward. On several occassions I was prepared to spend more money for a product, and after discussing things I ended up spending less, Just did not need the first product as I would never get to use it full potential.

I call him and tell him what I will be using the product for and he makes suggestions and takes the time to explain why. All in all a very painless process.

Modarmory.com

You sound like the position that I am in. I am wanting the best for my money and am not wanting to have upgraditus when the next best thing comes out. If your sure you are never going to go higher than a 300AAC, then the L3 tubes are what you are going to want. There is a new tube out that handles 308, but its quite a bit more expensive. This unit is the pvs-14RC which is the tube I am going with as soon as my dealer has one to meet my standards. I will be using it with photography, and although my photoshop skills are decent, I would rather not deal with artifacts. Anyways..... You can save a couple hundred by getting it off some no name dealer who assembled a grade B tube in his basement and sends you a copy of a primo tubes specs and you probably wouldn't be any the wiser and accept it. I recommend using a dealer on the hide so that you indeed get what you pay for and well as know you are dealing with a company that will be around tomorrow in case you have warranty issues.

Last edited:
I have looked through several pvs-14's,7's blah blah. One of the cleanest tubes I have ever seen are the ITT pinnacle tubes. I got the factory ITT night enforcer and I love it. I've fired it on a heavy .308 bolt gun several times with no problems. If you are using it on a .300 blk it'll probly handle the recoil but I'd use a laser if I were you. That's what I do, it's not really a benifit to use it on the rifle.

Jay

I have looked through several pvs-14's,7's blah blah. One of the cleanest tubes I have ever seen are the ITT pinnacle tubes. I got the factory ITT night enforcer and I love it. I've fired it on a heavy .308 bolt gun several times with no problems. If you are using it on a .300 blk it'll probly handle the recoil but I'd use a laser if I were you. That's what I do, it's not really a benifit to use it on the rifle.

Jay

Yep, same thing I have. Forgot to say, they call it the "Night Enforcer" instead of "AN/PVS14". The hand select just means you get to specify the numbers on the sheet, they'll pick the best one out of the lot. It's what I have.

But I was told it was only rated for 5.56. Once you helmet mount it and have a laser, you won't really want it on the rifle anyway. Then you'll get the clip on bug.

Yep, same thing I have. Forgot to say, they call it the "Night Enforcer" instead of "AN/PVS14". The hand select just means you get to specify the numbers on the sheet, they'll pick the best one out of the lot. It's what I have.

But I was told it was only rated for 5.56. Once you helmet mount it and have a laser, you won't really want it on the rifle anyway. Then you'll get the clip on bug.
Haha I have that very bug! Mine is hand select also so it's spotless. It's awesome but now all I think about is how cool I would be with a pvs-22...... Lol

Thanks for all the input. I ended up trading for a used one from another Hide member, and will be trying it out as soon as my Dbal arrives. Its, autogated with manual gain Pinnacle Omni VII. Very impressed so far, playing with it around the house. Got a Dbal D2 with visible green laser from Mile High for $1599. They are supposedly blowing these out, and the price was right.