• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to get into PRS need help/input.

ets120050

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2021
Georgia
Looking to get into PRS and where to start. Looking at a Masterpiece Arms in 6.5 PRC and a Zero Compromise Optic ZC 527. Looking for any information or comments that could be helpful to start my journey. Thanks!

the PRC's recoil might hinder your ability to spot your hits and misses. at least vs a 6.5 creed or variant or 6 creed or variant. most matches are known distance, so a super flat trajectory isn't a huge advantage vs the recoil tradeoff, though it helps with windage calls.

Pick a caliber you can find or reload ammo for. Find a local match to go observe and talk to people. 6.5 PRC may be a bit much for PRS. The 6mm cartridges are much more popular. I wish I would have started with .223 , about half the cost to shoot. Good glass is very important. It can be a steep learning curve depending on your experience.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
Why 6.5PRC? 6.5 creedmoor, 6 Creedmoor, etc seem more appropriate choices.

Don't do PRC. Too much recoil, too little barrel life, too much fouling for a 200+ round match, not enough magazine capacity.

6.5 creed, 6 creed, 6 GT, 6 Dasher if you reload.

You want, for the PRS game anyway, a 16-25lb rifle with an efficient brake, and minimal recoil. 10-12 round magazines. Stock with ARCA rail built in or able to be added.

First and foremost, I would observe, participate in, and/or R.O. a few matches first. Check out the gear and watch very closely to what works and what doesn't.

6.5 Creedmoor is a great place to start. If you reload a 7mm 08 might not be such a bad idea right now because it seems like 7mm bullets are alot easier to find than 6mm and 6.5.

As mentioned forget the 6.5 PRC for a match rifle. If you like the MPA rifles then get one but in a 6.5 or 6mm depending on your needs as far as if you load or shoot factory ammo or want to have both options.

You got the scope covered but make sure to get the MPCT3 reticle.

Then get some ammo and go shoot a match and see what other gear and training you might need.

If it was me, shopping the MPA BA rifle selection, I’d either go with the Matrix or the PMR Pro, depending on budget. If you reload, 6BR, if not 6CM.

Recoil management and spotting shots cannot be overstated to a new competition shooter. The 6BR is stupid easy to reload...literally...no skill required to stay sub MOA and uses off the shelf components that are “easy” to find.

6CM is the only cartridge I’ve seen consistently on the shelf for the last year if you want to shoot factory.

Any of the 6mm offering from MPA would be fine but in my mind, you might as well get the one that uses the least amount of components (powder) to get the job done until you decide you absolutely need more speed to improve your score.

Plan/budget to replace the barrel every so often. 1500/2000 rounds or so, maybe more/maybe less, depending on how you treat it.