• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lorenzo at Deadly Precision Gunsmithing

Rastaman

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2013
I had to join and warn your members of dealing with Lorenzo. Why here? Because I read positive reviews about him on this forum and it convinced me to go with him.

Here is my timeline. On July 14, 2012 I sent a signed contract and $2795 deposit to Lorenzo For a 300 win mag. The contract said completion time was 4 months. On July 30, 2012 I bought and shipped him a 5x25 night force scope. In October he said he was waiting a few parts. In December he said it would be ready by end of January. In feb 2013 I offered for him to return the scope and money and he said he wanted to complete he build. In July 2013 he said my gun was next. In September 2013 he said he was almost done. In October and November he has stopped answering my emails. Now he is silent.

I have documents to back this up. I am now searching for a lawyer in his area. If anyone else has been scammed by this guy call me. Robert Beasley. 8504329818.

While I'm not saying your lying, I won't assume your telling the truth either. There is always two sides to every story and I'd be interested to hear the other side before I pass judgement.

If it is true, that's unfortunate and its good the word will be out so nobody else is taken. Hope you get your build vs. money and its everything you dreamed it would be.

Robert tough crowd here if you call out someone they know. The truth is if you have contract and its been a year and a half he needs to be called out. Only a few smiths handle business like this, he will complete it now that you posted here. "It was all a misunderstanding" I am sure.

I wonder where you got a 5-25 Nightforce?

The ATACR is right about the cost he quoted of 2500 on LRH and is in fact 5x25 not the more common 5.5x22 of the NXS.

He needs to get a hold of the local authorities and even ATF. If he isn't defunct then ATF can pull his license if he is doing anything illegal.

Thx, I will not pass judgement either, BUT. I am researching having a rifle built by a professional w/ integrity And skill. He will be taken off the list. Seems to be some quality, passionate , skilled smiths here w/ good reputations. Thanks for sharing. At that price "1 struck and your out". W/ me

Trauma1

Why send a 2500 scope to a gunsmith or any scope for that matter,when it doesn't take a rocket scientist to mount a scope ?

On July 14, 2012 I sent a signed contract and $2795 deposit to Lorenzo For a 300 win mag. The contract said completion time was four months.
So you had a bilateral contract for a rifle build? Did the contract have a penalty clause?

Why send a 2500 scope to a gunsmith or any scope for that matter,when it doesn't take a rocket scientist to mount a scope ?

Can I just say thank you for saying "rocket scientist" and not "rocket surgery" like a lot of retards are doing these days.

OP, why don't you invite Lorenzo to come here and explain his side of the story. I'm hoping things can get settled between you two. Hopefully you can just reclaim your money and get your dream rifle built by one of the masters on this board.

So you had a bilateral contract for a rifle build? Did the contract have a penalty clause?

Yeah because everyone knows you need a good penalty clause to get anything on time. I don't know of ANY smith that would sign a contract that had a penalty clause.

Yeah because everyone knows you need a good penalty clause to get anything on time. I don't know of ANY smith that would sign a contract that had a penalty clause.
I just knew that someone would come along to prove my point.

Before I started doing my own work, it would take my smith 4 months to install a muzzle brake. I wouldn't think about calling and asking when my stuff would be done. I ordered a Hendreiksen reamer 6 months ago...he said it would be done in a month...still not here and don't expect it anytime soon! A 4 month build completion clause in a contract would be absolutely absurd...any smith in their right mind would not sign that. The contract you sent him probably hit the trash bin the day he got it!

Henrikson reamers are the very best!!

I hate seeing post such as this one. big waste of time for everyone. Nothing the here that's going to help the OP even in the least.
If I were a betting man, and I am not. I would have to bet that the OP is a big old pain in the ass, and the smith is tired of wasting his time talking on the phone. If he is a good smith and it seems he is, im sure he is as busy as he wants to be and then some. Rifles take time to build, and building rifles for this smith is probably his livelihood, and im sure he is doing his best. Hell who knows, but I bet, and again im not a betting man, that the op is overreacting just a little. that's my take, from what little I know about this. good luck, You should have let Eddie harren, or jon beanland build your rifle!! good luck Lee

I had never seen anyone on here before even mention DPG or Lorenzo. I looked him up, found he has a website and a Facebook page so he must be a good one (wink).
Any way, no gunsmith worth doing business with would give you an iron clad four month build clause. It usually takes much longer than that for the parts to be acquired.

I haven't done business with him, but almost did last summer for my .338 build, went with Center Shot Rifles instead...... just in time before he went to Surgeon. Anyway, on another forum people talked highly of him for a while and he posted there all the time. Then his posts seemed to go away, even some people would asks "where has so and so been", then a few complaints would spring up here and there. Personally this is the 3rd thread I've seen regarding this. It could be the same person trying to ruin a good guys rep by posting under different usernames or it could be 3 distinct cases.

I'm just glad I went another direction and didn't have to find out.

I'm not sure what the nature or intent of this contract was, but I would be wary of any gunsmith that either required a customer to sign one, or would sign a customer drafted contract. There should be no need for contracts with a reputable builder. A detailed invoice for parts, labor, amount due, and estimated completion time should suffice.

I am also seeing another disturbing trend with dissatisfied/screwed customers that post on this board; that is they send their valuable optics to the gunsmith months, if not years, before the rifle is even near completion. It seems so unnecessary, and can lead to even more trouble that I don't know why anyone would do it.

Some jerk-off joins up and does a drive by bashing of some smith with little to no contact with the Hide and gets 20+ responses containing ZERO facts or other information relevant to the parties at issue. Wow...

Collecting 15 minutes...one measly keystroke at a time...

Last edited:
Some jerk-off joins up and does a drive by bashing of some smith with little to no contact with the Hide and gets 20+ responses containing ZERO facts or other information relevant to the parties at issue. Wow...

Collecting 15 minutes...one measly keystroke at a time...

Didn't know a post-count was the yard stick that confirms truth or lack thereof. I've had problems with DPG and no, you can't get a hold of him or at least I can't but he's already got my money. Maybe he'll take your call if your fresh meat. Either way, all Lorenzo has to do is pick up the phone and call the OP and/or return his stuff. Would you be happier if 100 Hide Members got dinged?

I had also searched for a gun smith for a build last year and Lorenzo made the short list based on several recommendations on long-range hunting dot com. After several phone calls, emails etc I decided to go with Montour County instead with Kevin Cram. Kevin did a great job but also took a while. Not that long but longer than quoted as I recall. I also had a Savage built by SinArms and he also did a great job and I got it back as promised in about 3 months with most of that waiting on the brux barrel

How do you know that he didnt already have all the componets on hand? How do you know that he didnt do the deal just as he said? Everyone here is quick to bash but have no answers. Just what they should have done. Yeah, he probably knows that but he wants his money back. To call him a pain is nonsense. If a man quotes you a time you have the right to contact him after that date. No excuses, you can still wait longer but Its alright to call. I don;t call until a month later abouts. The guy is just telling yall his expereince, I hope everyone that bashes him for telling you this has to wait 4 years on your next build. Give the guy a break. Everyone here seems to be a know it all. OP I hope you get it worked out and both parties are happy. Just because smiths are busy doesnt give them the right to leave people out to dry. Hire some girl to answer the phone or something. Or maybe dont take on more work than you can handle. I like how Mr. Terry Cross handles his buisness. He doesnt feel good about the long wait times so he has his set of rules. IF you dont want that then move along. I wish other smiths were that up front about the buisness. I have had no problems with my rifles ever but I make sure everything is as right as can be.

I would be happier if 100 Hide members had even heard of Lorenzo before they sent him their money.

Well, you know someone with the username Rastaman probably did a lot of research (between midterms, call of duty, and 7-11 runs) before sending out gobs of money and a scope.

I've been waiting a year for a scope, 2 months for an Eberlestock back pack, 5 months for tool head stands for a Dillon S1050. I waited 3 months for .308 dies after waiting 8 months for a commercial production rifle and 8 months for the commercial production scope to mount on it.

I thought waiting was what we do in this hobby when not actually shooting.

I hope the OP is not screwed because my experience has been that the firearms related sales places/individuals have been more ethical than the general market.

I also have read a few complaints on this smith. I too hope it all gets sorted out. This just serves as a strong warning, do your research first before you send your money!

The ATACR is right about the cost he quoted of 2500 on LRH and is in fact 5x25 not the more common 5.5x22 of the NXS.

He needs to get a hold of the local authorities and even ATF. If he isn't defunct then ATF can pull his license if he is doing anything illegal.

This is clearly a civil matter, not a criminal one. To file a false police report in many jurisdictions is a felony. I too often see people who aren’t attorneys engaged by the op, provide very bad legal advice and often advise other people to commit a criminal act. If you send an individual money as a deposit and products or goods with a contract, written or implied, and said recipient fails to deliver, then you have classic breach of contract, a civil matter. Seriously, if you truly believe this is a criminal act and since it involves interstate commerce why not call the FBI? Of course they don’t settle civil matters and don't like people using them as the Better Business Bureau (neither does the ATF) and they will BF your soul without the aid of lubrication for bothering them with a false criminal claim.

This is clearly a civil matter, not a criminal one. To file a false police report in many jurisdictions is a felony. I too often see people who aren’t attorneys engaged by the op, provide very bad legal advice and often advise other people to commit a criminal act. If you send an individual money as a deposit and products or goods with a contract, written or implied, and said recipient fails to deliver, then you have classic breach of contract, a civil matter. Seriously, if you truly believe this is a criminal act and since it involves interstate commerce why not call the FBI? Of course they don’t settle civil matters and don't like people using them as the Better Business Bureau (neither does the ATF) and they will BF your soul without the aid of lubrication for bothering them with a false criminal claim.

I never told him to file a police report. I said to get a hold of them as well as the ATF. They would advise him of his options. They might even go knock on the guys door for him and others if there were enough complaints. In this case I'm sure after a certain amount of time with no contact it would turn into a criminal matter as it would switch from breach of contract to theft. Because he is a FFL holder I'm sure he doesn't want to lose his FFL if he wants to stay in the gun business.

I think the guy is mostly full of shit, he did a one and done post, and is just mad because he didn't get his rifle in his timeframe which is pretty typical.

Also I never heard of this builder, especially on here, so that is another red flag... it's a, "I'm pissed and spread your name talking shit"

Instant gratification complaint -- I wanted it now, and didn't get it on my terms, so screw you I will bad mouth you on the internet This should be deleted to be perfectly honest

I think the guy is mostly full of shit, he did a one and done post, and is just mad because he didn't get his rifle in his timeframe which is pretty typical.

Also I never heard of this builder, especially on here, so that is another red flag... it's a, "I'm pissed and spread your name talking shit"

Instant gratification complaint -- I wanted it now, and didn't get it on my terms, so screw you I will bad mouth you on the internet This should be deleted to be perfectly honest

Nailed it.........

I never told him to file a police report. I said to get a hold of them as well as the ATF. They would advise him of his options. They might even go knock on the guys door for him and others if there were enough complaints. In this case I'm sure after a certain amount of time with no contact it would turn into a criminal matter as it would switch from breach of contract to theft. Because he is a FFL holder I'm sure he doesn't want to lose his FFL if he wants to stay in the gun business.

I believe we are talking about a deposit for a rifle and a scope here, as far as I can determine from the post, not a firearm sent to a an FFL holder, so why call the ATF? Bothering the local police and especially the ATF with a civil matter is a waste of their time and could land you in trouble. It’s not their job to give out legal advice in civil matters. In this case, it would only be a criminal matter if there was an "intent to defraud" meaning, the gunsmith took the deposit without ever having any intent of ever delivering a rifle. Very hard to prove that.

Even when a firearm is involved, the process would be to contact the gunsmith/FFL by certified letter demanding that your firearm be returned to you by a certain date. If there is no response or he/she refuses to do so, then you can contact an attorney to get proper advice. If the attorney feels the facts in the case warrant it, then you contact the local LE and they will investigate. And, if they (local LE) feel the need they will contact the ATF. Also, the ATF does not revoke FFL’s because of bad communications, bad customer service, contract disputes, or other bad business practices. Rather, FFL’s are only revoked for gross or repeated violations of their (ATF) rules.

My point is, you contact the police to report a crime, not for civil disputes. And when/if you do, you had better have proof that a criminal act has occurred. If you claim that a criminal act has occurred and it clearly hasn’t, you can be charged with filing a false police report. No different than telling the police that a specific individual stole your car when you actually loaned it to them.

Your assuming the smith is still in business. You might know he is but none of us do. If he went out of business and failed to return the guys scope, which he paid for and sent to the smith, then it would be considered theft. Without communication no one knows his status. The op might get lucky and the local sheriff goes by to check things out for him. It lights a fire under the smiths ass and he get's his money/scope back without much of a hassle. ATF might have just done a inspection on the guy confirming he was still in business. The op could also Google his location and try to find someone close to see if he is actually still there. He could fly out there and check into it himself. He could use an attorney. He would not get in trouble inquiring about a FFL holder through the ATF or calling and asking the sheriff if they knew about him and weather or not he was still in business while explaining the situation. He might get shot down from both places but he might get results without having to spend a dime on a attorney too.

I know that ATF will not revoke the guys FFL unless he committed a crime or violated their rules. Like I said before.....if he went out of business and failed to return the op's property (the Nightforce scope) then it is a crime. Generally speaking if that happened this guy probably isn't alone. Multiple counts of theft, if convicted, would probably guarantee the loss of his FFL. This has happened in the past with another smith so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Feel free to do your own research if your calling plan permits. E-mail is even easier. Both would be about as much work as ordering a pizza. Home Page

I believe we are talking about a deposit for a rifle and a scope here, as far as I can determine from the post, not a firearm sent to a an FFL holder, so why call the ATF? Bothering the local police and especially the ATF with a civil matter is a waste of their time and could land you in trouble. It’s not their job to give out legal advice in civil matters. In this case, it would only be a criminal matter if there was an "intent to defraud" meaning, the gunsmith took the deposit without ever having any intent of ever delivering a rifle. Very hard to prove that.

Even when a firearm is involved, the process would be to contact the gunsmith/FFL by certified letter demanding that your firearm be returned to you by a certain date. If there is no response or he/she refuses to do so, then you can contact an attorney to get proper advice. If the attorney feels the facts in the case warrant it, then you contact the local LE and they will investigate. And, if they (local LE) feel the need they will contact the ATF. Also, the ATF does not revoke FFL’s because of bad communications, bad customer service, contract disputes, or other bad business practices. Rather, FFL’s are only revoked for gross or repeated violations of their (ATF) rules.

My point is, you contact the police to report a crime, not for civil disputes. And when/if you do, you had better have proof that a criminal act has occurred. If you claim that a criminal act has occurred and it clearly hasn’t, you can be charged with filing a false police report. No different than telling the police that a specific individual stole your car when you actually loaned it to them.

You don't need to report a crime. LE is always interested when someone with guns all over the place has dropped off the face of the earth.

Ok here is an update. First I have received 4 pm's from people with the same bad experience with Lorenzo. I contacted the sates attorney and they had me do a consumer fraud report. Then out of the blue Lorenzo emailed me and said the rifle would be ready in ten days. I told him if he would deliver the product I would be man enough to publish he resolution. Well guess what. Today is Te 18th day so I emailed him. I didn't bother him in between and I haven't bugged him every week or every month as has been suggested. I have also never played call of duty whatever that is.
Today lorenzo says he wants me to send another 955 as the final payment. I replied that I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I sent him more money on blind faith but I would give it to my FFL and they could send it upon receipt of the gun. He would not accept this suggestion and has now said he is selling the rifle and will send me the scope and my money back. I firmly believe there is no gun. I am moving forward with the criminal complaint.
I know this is a tough crowd and I get it. I have hunted Africa 5 times and alaska a few. In may I'm going to kodiak for brown bear if I get a draw permit. I have many (wife might read this!) guns but wanted to get into the long range sport. All I can say is don't be a fool like I have and order a custom gun from some guy you don't know, no matter how many forums he is on. Notice he is silent? My name and number are in the very first post.

Lorenzo at Deadly Precision Gunsmithing

You don't need to report a crime. LE is always interested when someone with guns all over the place has dropped off the face of the earth.
They will immediately assign those kinds of suspicious guns-all-over-the-place cases to the little-known global Face of the Earth team.

Last edited:
Rasta, how far away are you from the rifle he supposedly has built for you? I suggest taking the remainder of the money and meeting the rifle you partially own and the $2500 scope that is yours face to face. Give it a thorough inspection then maybe think about finishing payment by handing the rest of the money to him so you can take all of your gear home. If everything you say is true then I wouldn't trust this person to sell the rifle to refund you and send your money with your scope. If it's been this rough and taken this long then I wonder how long it might take to receive your stuff.

Ok here is an update. First I have received 4 pm's from people with the same bad experience with Lorenzo. I contacted the sates attorney and they had me do a consumer fraud report. Then out of the blue Lorenzo emailed me and said the rifle would be ready in ten days. I told him if he would deliver the product I would be man enough to publish he resolution. Well guess what. Today is Te 18th day so I emailed him. I didn't bother him in between and I haven't bugged him every week or every month as has been suggested. I have also never played call of duty whatever that is.
Today lorenzo says he wants me to send another 955 as the final payment. I replied that I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I sent him more money on blind faith but I would give it to my FFL and they could send it upon receipt of the gun. He would not accept this suggestion and has now said he is selling the rifle and will send me the scope and my money back. I firmly believe there is no gun. I am moving forward with the criminal complaint.
I know this is a tough crowd and I get it. I have hunted Africa 5 times and alaska a few. In may I'm going to kodiak for brown bear if I get a draw permit. I have many (wife might read this!) guns but wanted to get into the long range sport. All I can say is don't be a fool like I have and order a custom gun from some guy you don't know, no matter how many forums he is on. Notice he is silent? My name and number are in the very first post.

If the gun is done, then I would assume he could/would email you photos, which would establish the existence of the finished rifle and if all looks good he could ship it to your dealer C.O.D. That would be a reasonable solution if both parties are sincere about getting things resolved in a simple and reasonable manner.

Just a thougth.

If the gun is done, then I would assume he could/would email you photos, which would establish the existence of the finished rifle and if all looks good he could ship it to your dealer C.O.D. That would be a reasonable solution if both parties are sincere about getting things resolved in a simple and reasonable manner.

Just a thougth.

"Proof of life..."

I would want a face to face transaction to finish this out. Like redirt78 said I don't think you can trust him to complete this order. Even with a picture of the gun and a pic of the serial number of said gun this has been a rough transaction. I would also have a witness with me on the face to face deal. You could always find that lawyer in his home town at that time and file a civil suit. Good Luck I think you are going to need it. The state I live in a out of state person can buy a rifle or shotgun I don't know were this is taking place.

Florida? Would have been better if he had tr.net build it then!! :)

that would be fine, except if the GS kept giving him "all most done" excuse every 2 months...

for me, if i dropped that coin, i would want to know upfront...
are you doing similar builds now?... how long are they taking?
do you have all the parts in stock?... if not, do your suppliers?
if my gun wasnt ready on time i would want to know precisely why..
example... i had a custom AR upper built... it was taking longer then planed... a called... was told the barrels have not been shipped from schillen yet..
so i call schillen to confirm and to get a ETA

bottom line, if your getting paid that much cash, i expect good and honest communication....

I don't know about others, but I appreciate the heads up. It allows me the opportunity to do my own research, and form my own opinion.

Money does not comes easy for me and I would not want to fall victim to one of these types of guys that take your money and run!

Just my two cents.