• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lot to lot variation on Alliant PP2000MR

spr1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2004
Peoples Republic of Maryland
I had worked up a decent 7mm-08 load with the subject powder, from a pound I had purchased about a year ago, and recently purchased 3 more pounds. I loaded up three rounds with the new lot and the "good recipe" and today they chrono'd almost 100fps slower.
Anyone else experience this with PP2000MR?

Rather than lot variation.....
Would it be possible that the year old powder was opened previously, and dried some, making it relatively lighter in weight? This could yield bigger volume-for-weight charges when throwing them,in relation to the newer, wetter, heavier powder . Just a thought....

Last edited:
Maybe, but I have not experienced that with other powders. It had been opened once and tightly sealed since.
I thought I recalled people making comments about newer lots running slower, so I thought I would see if anyone here had seen that.

The variation I am seeing is about .75 grains, based on the previous work up.

Maybe, but I have not experienced that with other powders. It had been opened once and tightly sealed since.
I thought I recalled people making comments about newer lots running slower, so I thought I would see if anyone here had seen that.

The variation I am seeing is about .75 grains, based on the previous work up.

What are the two different lot numbers? I have a good amount of 2000mr and I'd like to see if I have the same lots.

Rather than lot variation.....
Would it be possible that the year old powder was opened previously, and dried some, making it relatively lighter in weight? This could yield bigger volume-for-weight charges when throwing them,in relation to the newer, wetter, heavier powder . Just a thought....

It really shouldn't make a difference, maybe if you left the lid off and out in the sun...