• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER / SILHOUTTE start to finish

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
I compiled the numerous posts made with this rifle into one "clickable" chain of events / modifications done to it.

The scope of the threads was to put together a Low Budget .22 that can be put together by any average Joe, using simple tools and materials that can be found easily, ecconomically, and produce "presentable homemade modified" looks.

Is it a world class match grade rimfire? NO! However it is an accurate enough project to fit the bill in a triple duty capacity -

1. low dollar trainer / above average plinker
2. low dollar smallbore silhoutte hunter class rifle
3. small game / critter hunting rifle

Another object is to make all the accessories removable and modifications restricted to the silhoutte hunter class rules, while maintaining a certain amount of "tacticoolness".

Many of the modifications, enhancements, or accessories may not be needed nor endorsed, and the final costs can be adjusted to your unique situtations and needs, but I thought to include them as "user friendly and presentable" low dollar options. None of the manufacturer's mentioned are promotions of their products, they are just what fit into the criteria of a triple duty low budget .22 trainer / silhoutte / small game rimfire, and what seemed to work based on my past experience.

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER INTRO - NEW FROM THE BOX

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - base / scope / bipod / bore site PART 1

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - base / scope / bipod / bore site PART 2

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - range report, pre-modifications

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - basic stock modifications and cheek piece

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - advanced and cheap stock modifications

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - cheap h. made accessories - ACD / ARD / rails / light / cosine indicator

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - trigger modification

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - range report, post mods

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - tactical/o.sized bolt knob

If you plan on shooting 150yards or more, you may want to include one of these for $40.00 extra <span style="text-decoration: line-through">RIMFIRE TECHNOLOGIES </span> DIVERSIFIED INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS (D.I.P.) / EGW MOA BASE REVIEW

LOW BUDGET .22 SIL. RIFLE/TRAINER - shortening the barrel

There will be more updates on the way, possibly a stock bedding and range report, and well, Lord knows what else, is a rifle truly ever done?

My original plan was to keep it under $300.00, and is doable. Although I have surpassed that amount, it was inclusive to everything done and could be less or even more depending on how you mix and match to your needs - and budget - which is why I included a breakdown of costs list and time involved with each process.

Some things you can live with, and some things you can't. However I feel that the modifications made are of value that justified spending a little more and with a little elbow grease, saved a few bucks along the way.

RIFLE...............$127.00
BIPOD.................39.97
B. GROUND CHECK........5.00
SCOPE.................69.97
RINGS................. 9.47
ULTRA BLACK KRYLON.... 4.44
STUDS (2 packs)....... 9.98
CHEEKPIECE+RAIL.......42.00
SLING.................16.97
BASES(USED AS RAILS)...6.49
"CHEAP ACCESSORIES
MATERIALS"............15.00
FEELER GUAGE "SHIMS"...3.00
BOLT KNOB PROJECT......10.00
D.I.P. 25 MOA BASE ....40.00
BARREL SHORTENING......34.47

SUB TOTAL...........433.76
TAX.....................25.13
TOTAL...............$458.89

OVERALL TIME = 39.5 HOURS

Re: LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER / SILHOUTTE start to finish

Awesome! This has helped me a lot! Cant wait to start my project

Good write up......this is something someone could throw together for a kiddo or loved one.

yeah im tagging this one too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: howdydoit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah im tagging this one too. </div></div>

+1

And this might also be a good candidate for a sticky...

People like to complain about quality and price of various products, and make comparisons to promote one choice over another. The threads here are full of them. In contrast to the norm, you TP have really raised the bar. Not only have you provided an example of yet another “affordable or budget-minded” product being entirely adequate to the task at hand, but shown what allows the bargain price.

The real “value” is found in the major components; the work you have done so far, while certainly needing some skill and patience, is very do-able by many of your readers. The pictures and descriptions are very helpful to one setting out on a similar venture.

The real insight however, is in the time and dollars numbers you provide. You show 34 hours, or just over four normal working days. Now that you have done it once, we might assume the second could be twice as fast. If you were to set-up a shop in a manufacturing setting you might cut that in half again. Now we are down near eight hours, or on work-day. Readers can make their own guess at a reasonable shop rate for labor, tools, and overhead, but it becomes apparent why things are the way they are.

Personally I like it this way. Not only do you get a good value on the main components, but also the satisfaction from doing the fit and finish work, along with a little semi-custom addition.

Nice job TP!

Apparently you've made this a pretty popular combination! I was at both our local wal-marts in the past few days and neither had the scope or the bipod in stock. Neither had a MKII-F either come to think about it!

This thread inspired me to pickup a budget training rifle.... I went with the Savage 93R17.......Cheap Bushnell 3-9 Variable with high rings. Rifle came with 2 part base. Bipod is an extra Harris I had laying around.

photo-2.jpg

if you plan on shooting 150 yards or more, you may want to include one of these for $40.00 -

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">RIMFIRE TECHNOLOGIES / EGW MOA BASE REVIEW</span> D.I.P. (Diversified Innovative Products) 25 MOA base

RIFLE...............$127.00
BIPOD.................39.97
B. GROUND CHECK........5.00
SCOPE.................69.97
RINGS................. 9.47
ULTRA BLACK KRYLON.... 4.44
STUDS (2 packs)....... 9.98
CHEEKPIECE+RAIL.......42.00
SLING.................16.97
BASES(USED AS RAILS)...6.49
"CHEAP ACCESSORIES
MATERIALS"............15.00
FEELER GUAGE "SHIMS"...3.00
RIMFIRE TECHNOLOGIES 25 MOA BASE...40.00
TAX...................20.06

= $409.35

OVERALL TIME = 34.5 HOURS

Just the info I was looking for - thanx for taking the time to share

Very well organized and informative. Aside from an older grooved receiver, your rifle started out pretty much where mine has been for the past dozen years.

The improvements and mods appear very well thought out and executed. While my choices might be more toward wood and custom work instead of adapting individual items (like the cheekpiece), your approach both opens my eyes and motivates me toward doing things along similer lines for my own rifle.

That chamfer reamer and the muzzle crown maneuver prompted an involuntary cringe. I would need to think long and hard before emulating it. Tell me true, now; would you most definitely do it again? If so, how would you feel about alternatively doing a back-boring operation using a drill press, creating a 'false muzzle'?

Greg

actually will be doing it again. going to see what lopping a few inches off the barrel will do to groups and FPS per inch.

at this point i'm only going to take off 2". well maybe 3". if i take off 4" i'll have a youth length barrel.

so i may be doing the muzzle crown thing again, and agian, and maybe once more. prepare to cringe, whether it works or not i'll post it up to either say "it's ok to give it a try" or "does anyone have a savage MKII barrel for sale 'cause i f'ed mine up".

i just finished up a sporter barrel marlin 25/925 test against the MKII F which i needed those extra inches. now that i have that completed, time for the HACKSAW
eek.gif
!

yet another reason why i put "finish" in quotes, 'cause let's face it, is a rifle actually ever done?

after the barrel shortening, i think the only thing left that i can economically do in my garage is bed it.

by the way i thank everyone that throuogh me compliments and suggestions throughout this whole thing. i figured from the start it would be a good way to get some DIY projects in and share with the masses of successes and failures, all done "cheaply".

it has been fun and educational, plus most of this stuff transfers over to the centerfire well.

I appreciate the response. I think the drill press idea may hold merit and may use it if warranted, so an alternative approach can get tested. In essence, it may simply turn out to be a different way to achieve a "really recessed" muzzle.

That 93R17 is very tempting. I considered the 17HM2 long and hard, but finally opted out. It steps outside my idea of basic and low budget in two ways. The copper jacketing probably requires a degree of cleaning that is less compatible the no-clean approach to .22lr that, IMHO, contributes fairly strongly to the 'unkillable' aspect of rimfire bore preservation. Secondly, I do not consider the 17's ammo costs to be on the same low budget par as .22lr. I may still get a 17HM2 bolt gun, but not for training. I think it's a genuine Killer Diller for a squirrel rifle caliber.

Greg

Great write up, thank you. I plan on using the bolt knob idea lol.

I learned on a Model 60 Marlin with a 4x tasco scope - to this day the rifle is in that configuration and still shoots 1-2" at 100 yards.

After rereading the post I understand where you are going with it...

I grew up old school, functionality vs looks - went for functionality
smile.gif

But I like what ya got going there!!!
smile.gif

How are you guys crowning the barrels after it is cut off? I didn't see an explanation on this process, and would really like to know this. Could you use a chamfering tool and a drill press?

there was a "redneck" way described in there (barrel shortening section) using a reloading chamfering tool twisted by hand --- i know less than precise---- but works well enough for the concept of the rifle used in the post.

there are also a few threads around about using a regular crowning tool, or just have a smith do it.

certainly on a higher valued rifle, i would have a smith do it.

taggggggggggggggggggeeddddddddddddddddd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there was a "redneck" way described in there (barrel shortening section) using a reloading chamfering tool twisted by hand --- i know less than precise---- but works well enough for the concept of the rifle used in the post.

there are also a few threads around about using a regular crowning tool, or just have a smith do it.

certainly on a higher valued rifle, i would have a smith do it. </div></div>

One thing you may look into is an old "yankee redneck" trick of using a marble (glass) and lapping compound to get your crown in the correct shape. With a bit of pressure and "spin, spin, spin" you can come up with a pretty concentric crown. The best part is that you can turn the GUN not the marble if you make a "cup" for the marble to sit in. No matter what angle you push on the marble with the gun it will still polish it concentrically.

Cheers,

Doc

WOW!!! TP that really was a great write up! Thanks for taking the time to document all that with great pictures and post for the rest of us. After reading all this, I really want to try something like this. Thanks!

Thanks for the hard work putting this together. a lot of good info here.