• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Low Cost Rings and Base for Rem 700

silver78

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
MD
Gents - I know a guy who recently bought a Remington 700 AAC-SD. .308 tactical and a used Leupold Mark 4 PR 4.5-14x40 scope. He does not plan to modify the rifle so while it's an accurate factory rifle it's not at the quality/cost level of many SH members. He's very cost conscious but willing to spend as needed. He needs a set of rings and a base for the rifle. Maximum range is 300 yards but most of the time he's going to be shooting @ 100 yards.

Given this information, what's the lowest cost rings + base combination that you would recommend?

Edited to add: He's LE so he would qualify for an LE discount if this is a factor. - Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Personally, I had a REALLY bad experience with lower cost rings/base in the past that ended up damaging the scope that was mounted. I'd rather not name any names, but I ended up going with Seekins and will not likely go with anything else in the future.

I will buck the trend today.
LE use leupold discount, get a basic dovetail Long range base model 51734 @ $15.31 and the medium 30 mm matte rings model 49956 @ $24.23..
maybe splurge and get a set of the allumina caps for the scope so the $10 shipping and handling is easier..
Good luck

egw base and warne rings

this!

Have a couple of sets of warne rings (30mm maxima standard mount) that I have had for 5 or six years now and have floated around everything from a 22lr to 300wsm and never had problems. They can be a pain to install sometimes with the vertical split, but once torqued correctly (I use the warne torque wrench they sell) I have yet to have a problem with them.
For bases, if you want to save some money, try the warne 2 piece bases for about $25 or so. EGW is probably the cheapest usable 1 piece (although I have heard good things on the weaver made in usa tactical base), but I prefer the EGW HD base, which is not much more than the standard. Either way with the warne rings and the egw base, you will have around $100 in the base and rings setup.

But, since you mentioned you can get a LE discount I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) Leupold is still offering 40% off to LE. I would give them a call and check on some mk4 rings and bases.

Weaver tactical one piece base made in the US($30) and TPS rings($65)

DNZ Game Reaper one peice mount

009-1.jpg

3.5-15x50

006-3.jpg

Same but with a 3.5-10x40

This mount is a medium 20MOA and its a little more money but they make flat mounts that would work fine and have a lower cost. I was impressed with the quality and all concern for the two screw ring caps vanished when I first used it. I use it on a rifle I use for hunting and hiking so it has seen less than ideal handling conditions and has never let me down. Best of all its relatively inexpensive and weighs in at one half the weight of an independent aluminum base and ring set up.

Here is a close up, ignore the character marks on the scope tube, it was a second scope and came with them.
DNZmount005.jpg

http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.ph...escription=1&keyword=remington+700+sa&x=0&y=0

Prices look to start at 64 and go up from there. Deals can be found on line for a little less...

Last edited:
Weaver base and Burris Signature Zee rings. Nothing wrong with this setup on any kind of rifle.

RCPD34

I'm not sure if the 2 inch forward mount is too much. But I think there is another consideration for you. Ring height.

First let me make sure I understand what you want to do because if my assumption is incorrect my input won't have any value to you. I think you want to be able to use the same scope on a Remington 700 and an AR15 type rifle.

If this is the case I think the mount you showed above would be too high for your Remington 700. Assuming a 40mm bell on your scope, the 700 would take medium (or maybe low?) rings but the AR mount is considered super high because the proper ring height for AR type rifles is much higher than for Remington 700 rifles.

Perhaps one of the more educated members here can confirm that I am correct on this point. While I have scopes mounted on both rifle platforms I'm no expert on this topic.

I think what you want to do is very possible. Mounting one scope on two rifles with some sort of quick detaching rings can work. While this probably is not a low cost mounting system, it's certainly cheaper than buying two scopes. I think you would need some sort of riser base for the AR rifle so you could use the same rings but I don't know enough to suggest model or part numbers. I hope someone with more experience on this topic can reply.

Weaver base and Burris Signature Zee rings. Nothing wrong with this setup on any kind of rifle.

What he said. The signature rings allow a two piece base not to put any stress on the scope. The 2 piece makes it easier to load rounds/.

Great info; thanks. The more I look, the more I want a QD mount so I can move the glass to my Colt LE901. Looking at this:

Burris AR-P.E.P.R. QD 30mm Scope Mount

Wondering if the 2" forward mount is too much?

You need a bolt on picatinny riser for the AR that will allow you use the same rings that give you a proper height for your bolt gun. Just an example of the type of base I'm talking about is the Badger 22MOA base. I'm sure there are cheaper bolt on railed bases that will work.

I have one of the Badger bases that let me run the same scope w/ low Seekins rings that I was using on my bolt gun.

Gents - I know a guy who recently bought a Remington 700 AAC-SD. .308 tactical and a used Leupold Mark 4 PR 4.5-14x40 scope. He does not plan to modify the rifle so while it's an accurate factory rifle it's not at the quality/cost level of many SH members. He's very cost conscious but willing to spend as needed. He needs a set of rings and a base for the rifle. Maximum range is 300 yards but most of the time he's going to be shooting @ 100 yards.

Given this information, what's the lowest cost rings + base combination that you would recommend?

Edited to add: He's LE so he would qualify for an LE discount if this is a factor. - Thanks for your help.

The DNZ one piece mounts that Niles listed above are hard to beat on the price/construction/simplicity/function standpoint.

Last edited:
I have a Weaver 20 moa base and Burris XTR rings on my 300WM that have been great for 3 years now. Wouldn't hesitate to use the same setup again.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2