• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Low end mag on FFP scopes?

Wrighty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
So along with pretty much everyone else on here, i'm planning on getting a Viper PST sometime soon. As this will be my first FFP scope, i had a question about the use of the mil reticle on low magnification.

what is the lowest mag that can you effectively use the mil reticle at? would you have any problems using the reticle at 3,4,5, or 6x for movers or anything else? for instance will movers be more difficult at 4x than 6x because i would not be able to read the reticle very well?

I want to know because this may effect my decision as to which model i get, either the 4-16 or the 6-24. i like the extra field of view at 4x but if I will just find myself turning it to 6x or so to use the reticle than 6-24 it is. thanks for the input.

Re: Low end mag on FFP scopes?

On my Nightforce F1 around 4-5x would be minimum for my eyes to use the ranging features of the MLR reticle.

I'm not picking on you here. I don't understand why many folks comment on not being able to use the reticle on the lowest power. Just use the main cross hair like a plex when anything is up that close. It should pretty much be a dead hold anyhow.

Keep in mind the reticle of the 4-16 is thicker than the 6-24--it'll be about the same apparent thickness on 4X as the 6-24's reticle is on 6X. Naturally if you turn the 4-16 up to 6X it's reticle will look 50% thicker.

If reticle visibility on low power is important, you probably want the 4-16.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... I don't understand why many folks comment on not being able to use the reticle on the lowest power. Just use the main cross hair like a plex when anything is up that close. It should pretty much be a dead hold anyhow. </div></div>

I really have to agree with Mavrick here, I'm not understanding the comments (I'm referring to the same concern in other threads too) about 'using' the reticle on low power. There's nothing to calculate at low power, just use it like a crosshair.

Maybe it's a visibility issue, depending on the light, colors and contrast with the reticle washing out or something, but otherwise, point and shoot, no?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MeridianNW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... I don't understand why many folks comment on not being able to use the reticle on the lowest power. Just use the main cross hair like a plex when anything is up that close. It should pretty much be a dead hold anyhow. </div></div>

I really have to agree with Mavrick here, I'm not understanding the comments (I'm referring to the same concern in other threads too) about 'using' the reticle on low power. There's nothing to calculate at low power, just use it like a crosshair.

Maybe it's a visibility issue, depending on the light, colors and contrast with the reticle washing out or something, but otherwise, point and shoot, no?
</div></div>

I agree with^^^. Whenever I shoot at a target with known range, I turn my FFP all the way down to challenge myself. You may not be able to range at that low of a power, but its not as bad as you would think.

I guess if you were leading a target and were unsure of how much to lead, you could turn it up. But if the target is that far away and moving that fast I would think that you would turn it up anyway. Just my .02.

Thanks for the input fellas. i totally understand that at close ranges my FFP reticle will often simply function like a plex. the reason for the questions has much more to do with movers, in which case i would like low power for wide field of view as well as the ability to effectively read my reticle for holds. i was just curious from those that had an FFP if this was possible at around 4x or if they must turn it up in power to get a good reading off their reticle for accurate holds.

For, in the case of movers, it would not simply be a "dead hold" and there would be "something to calculate." other than that, I'm completely on board with what you all are saying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind the reticle of the 4-16 is thicker than the 6-24--it'll be about the same apparent thickness on 4X as the 6-24's reticle is on 6X. Naturally if you turn the 4-16 up to 6X it's reticle will look 50% thicker.

If reticle visibility on low power is important, you probably want the 4-16.</div></div>

Jon - great info, thanks for that.