• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Low Tech or Ancient Weapons

More combat/ambush archery and combined arms tactics using both old and new weapons in unconventional warfare:

1942: A village in northeast China is preparing for the annual Zhongyuan Festival, where every August or September lining up with the seventh month in the lunar calendar, families prepare banquets and light incense to honor deceased elders. The hunters in the village had departed into the woods to harvest deer and boar to bring back to cook. Unbeknownst to anyone, battle lines were being drawn nearby as the Communist 8th Route Army had launched it's Hebei Offensive against the Japanese army occupying the northeast. A Japanese army scouting picket sent forth to assess the Chinese army's advancing lines came upon the village and decided to engage in a rape and slaughter orgy before going on with their mission. The hunters return to find their family members violated and murdered and proceed to take revenge on the troops and officers of the picket, which had marched further down the road.

WARNING: Graphic and traumatic scenes. The full TV series is even more heartbreaking, but sends a clear message: Evil cannot be reasoned or pleaded with, but only fought and exterminated with extreme prejudice.

Last edited:
I must admit that I've had a fascination with ancient weaponry. The ingenuity, on the other hand, used by ancient peoples to hunt wild game or dispatch their enemies with very little material to get the job done is amazing.

Also used in survival situations and where firearms are prohibited and unaffordable, ancient or low-tech weapons come into play.

I've played around with traditional archery as well as modern compound bows. The compound bows were all sold off. They were too complex for me to use and maintain. So I have a couple older recurve crossbows, longbows and recuves.

So traditional archery for my hunting is as low tech as far as I've "regressed." On the other hand, I've used a baseball bat as a weapon before in self-defense situations. It also works as a deterent!

So I'd like to start a thread on ancient or low tech weapons. I'll start first.

The spear has fascinated me but I really suck at throwing them. Lynn Thompson at Cold Steel has produced some affordable spears. The two latest that I've acquired are the American Hunting Spear and the Maasai Spear. The second is the most badass spear that I've seen yet.

The American Hunting Spear could not be any simpler. All you need to do is purchase the head then get a shovel handle. I did a little filing and sanding for a better fit. Then applied some stain an Tru-Oil.

View attachment 8120571 View attachment 8120572 View attachment 8120573 View attachment 8120574

The Cold Steel Maasai Spear:

s-l500.jpg
iu

The little fat guy isn't liked by some people but he ain't stupid as he's made more money than most of us will in our lifetime.

Bonus video: Where were girls like this when I was younger?

The spear heads from cold steel at the top are more Pilum heads than spears. The Pilum was the optimized javelin for battle used by Romans. It would bend after contact, making it nearly useless to be thrown back. A true thrusting spear will have a broader longer head and blood channels, have some Carbon in the steel, and be very resistant to being bent or broken. I'd be worried that upon contact or deep penetration with a jacked up and moving larger animal the spear will bend easily or even break. You will also want at least two if not three bolts connecting the shaft. Next is a guard on the spear about 18 inches up from the tip to prevent the game from running up the spear to get to you and also allow you to cam the animal over. Finally, skateboard tape all along the shaft is a good thing. You will be sweating and the animal bleeding and that shovel handle will get slick!

Look up bear spear for more info. Lots of cool pics on line of actual hunts. There are also some pics of actual lances used by the Comanches and Sioux for hunting that are interesting.

There is a sub culture of spear and knife pig hunters in Texas. Find a sleeping circle, stalk a feeder, or go into a trap for some real fun.

If you have a bitchy woman at home who hates to go shopping for groceries, show her this video. She will see the error of her ways and thank you for pointing out her selfish and lazy attitude. Be sure to let her know that she's got a hardened structure to live in rather than a grass hut that leaks when it rains. From then on, she will be glad to work in the kitchen and clean house. Gentlemen, all it takes is a little psychology to keep the little woman in line. Trust me. I know. I've been married twice!

2200 year Roman spear point still lodged in bone.

View attachment 8120595

Nothing primitive about them.

The Assegai is an almost perfect CQB weapon… developed by the Zulus and used with the “head/horns/loins of the bull” tactic, it was devastating even to rifle-equipped enemies.

And still being offered!

Sirhr
My wife got me one of these for Christmas last year. It is truly an intimidating weapon when held in hand.

If you have a bitchy woman at home who hates to go shopping for groceries, show her this video. She will see the error of her ways and thank you for pointing out her selfish and lazy attitude. Be sure to let her know that she's got a hardened structure to live in rather than a grass hut that leaks when it rains. From then on, she will be glad to work in the kitchen and clean house. Gentlemen, all it takes is a little psychology to keep the little woman in line. Trust me. I know. I've been married twice!

Will show this to my wife, thanks for the tip. I’ve also had pretty good luck explaining to her how my mom would do things.

• Haha
Reactions: Longshot231