• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LRRPs in Vietnam

RECONDO's, 2/502 INF 101st Abn Div.

I'm the second from the left.

sad.JPG

Recondo%20Patch.jpg

Last edited:
I think the modern LRSU is the current replacement for the LRRP. The mission is the same, but with technology that adds to the effectiveness
The specialized skillsets of the tracking hunter(not these modern treestanders) have always been relied on for these missions. Being able to move quietly, without disturbing nature allows for the important stealth these men held. While I always respected, and copied the techniques of the book these men wrote, I was only a lowly Combat Engineer recon patrol leader for my unit. Those hunting skills I grew up with are what allowed my team and I to be very effective in training.
The guys in the videos, the LRSU's, they earn respect, adn anyone who doesn't realize it has never tasted even a slight bit of what that job requires

I ate a LRRP meal once back in 1988, 20 years old and still tasted yummy. Think it was chili.
They had a sesame seeed cracker and the meal, high calorie.

Never ate LRP rations when I was a LRRP, we ate C-rats with the exception that we got some fish heads and rice rations a few times.

I didn't get LRP rats until I joined the guard in '73.

The Long Range Surveillance Unit does NOT have the same role as the Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol company.

A LRRP Company was typically comprised of 3 platoons of 5 or 6 (depending on unit strength, not MTOE) 4- to 5-man LRRP teams. Division LRRP Companies were flagged as Ranger (LRRP) Companies in 1969. In the Texas Army National Guard (G Company (Ranger)(Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol), 143rd Infantry, this included a Pathfinder and Rigger platoon.

LRSUs are now typically in an Intelligence Battalion (at Division or Corps) or Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition Battalion in a deploying Brigade Team.

Modern commanders are averse to putting human intelligence gatherers on the ground, and the actual employment of LRSUs has suffered (their role will probably eventually be replaced by the extended loiter UAV).

Company D (Long Range Patrol), 151st Infantry, Indiana Army National Guard deployed to Vietnam in December 1968 and was attached to the 199th Infantry Brigade (Separate) (Light). The 151st was one of the very, very few National Guard ground combat units to deploy to Vietnam.

In 1969 it was redesignated as Co D (Ranger), 151st Infantry and assigned to II Field Force Vietnam. When Co D (Ranger), 151st rotated back to the Indiana Guard the assigned Regular Army troops formed the nucleus of the concurrently constituted and activated Co D (Ranger), 75th Infantry.

Sua Sponte. Rangers Lead the Way.
G-Co_scroll_CC_Creations.jpg

Last edited:
My Dad, God rest him, used to talk about going on LRRP's. He never did talk much, but would on occasion. He was SF with Pathfinder and UDT quals. I remember his bdu's having his EIB, jumpmaster wings and Pathfinder badge. He did 3 tours and ended up with PH from each one. He was a stealthy ole f'er. Remember camping out with buddies when in high school a mile or so from home along a creek. He gave me a run down on some conversations we had and told me I almost stepped on him when going for a piss.
Thanks to all of you who were there too.

Eric

Never ate LRP rations when I was a LRRP, we ate C-rats with the exception that we got some fish heads and rice rations a few times.

I didn't get LRP rats until I joined the guard in '73.
No K-rats? No cigs?

there were LRRP's,then there were LRP's

Well, yeah, just about everyone did LRPs (Long Range Patrol), LRRPs, Long Range RECON Patrols accomplished by Recon Units.

You have (or had back then, don't know today) 11Bs, infantry which of course did patrols, then you had LRRP, recon. My MOS was 11F, meaning Intel, hence, the RECON, the second R in LRRP.

Of course they over lapped, no law says 11bs cant do recon patrols, nor no law says Recon units can't do line company missions.

But when push comes to shove, they were both grunts, INFANTRY.