• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LTR .223 1/9"+ Hornady A-max 75 gr, stabilized?

cazorp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2008
Stockholm, Kingdom of Sweden
Guys, Im looking for experiences with 75 gr A-max, and 1/9" 20" LTR barrel, any one tried this combo and got the bullets stabilized?

What loads and speed's did you use?

Thanks,

Matt from Sweden

Re: LTR .223 1/9"+ Hornady A-max 75 gr, stabilized?

With a 1/9 you will have a problem getting to shoot good. With a 1/9 you are limited to about 69 to 70 grn bullet. I have 700 PPS with a 1/9 that I have tried just about every combo of powder to make work. After that I went and got a 1/7 upper for one of my Ar's and they run wounderful. I have used 748 and IMR 3031.

I've shot them just fine.

Alaskaman 11, are you sure it's a 1-9 in your pss? They sold a bunch of 223 PSS's that were 1-12 also, might want to check it with a rod.

J

Personally i havent tried them, but i have talked with a few people about these bullets and other 75gr bullets in 1:9 twists! Mainly because i am thinking of running 75gr match bullets in my 1:9 Twist AR!

Pretty much the answers ive got are:
1) try them and see!

2) If the barrel is 20" or longer you should beable to shoot them well enough/fast enough to stabalize them in a 1:9 twist!

i was also suggest to look at the 75gr Berger VLD bullets!

Usually a Remington 1/9 twist barrel will stablize the 75gr HPBT bullets. I say "usually" since I think it depends alittle on Remington's QC in their twists; meaning Remington has a spec on the twist rate. It could be alittle slower or faster than what it is suppose to be and still be in spec. If the barrel is actually 1/9 or alittle faster then it shoots the 75gr well. If the barrel twist is on the slow side of the spec (like 1/9.5) then it may not shoot them as well.

Velocity also is a factor and as a result whether your barrel is a fast or slow barrel.

Custom barrels never have this issue, since what you spec is what you get.

Re: LTR .223 1/9"+ Hornady A-max 75 gr, stabilized

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Velocity also is a factor and as a result whether your barrel is a fast or slow barrel. </div></div>

OP... remember this one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot them just fine.

Alaskaman 11, are you sure it's a 1-9 in your pss? They sold a bunch of 223 PSS's that were 1-12 also, might want to check it with a rod.

J </div></div>

I'm sure its a 1/9, its even stamped on the barrel

Try them with 24.5 gr of Varget. I am trying the same in my 20" sps 1;9.
I was told by some others they will shoot, but we'll see.
Rob

75 amax shoot great in my sps (1-9") to 500 yards so far.
25.0gr IMR 4895.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

The A-max 75 didn't work in my sps tactical with 1-9, but standard 75 bthp do.

Works very well with the Savage 1/9 twist. With 25.6 grns of varget in a Winchester case.

when in doubt just make it ackley and you will more than likely not have to worry about the twist at 1 in 9. the speed will help stabilize the big long bullet.

Re: LTR .223 1/9"+ Hornady A-max 75 gr, stabilized

I have an SPS Tactical with 1:9 twist that is tempurature sensitive. When the temp is above 65 F it will shoot the 75 amax, but let the temp drop and the groups open up to 4 or 5 inch groups at 100 yd. Also some keyholes. I am using 24.1 grs of RL-15, tryed Varget and its no better. When the temp drops I shoot the Berger 73 BTHP. Hope this helps. Wade