• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lyman 1200 DPS 3

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
I've used a a couple electronic scales over the years, including RCBS and Cabela's badged units. I've been hesitant to jump into the auto dispensing game simply because of the cost, but lucked into a like new Lyman yesterday for right at $150.

I've been impressed with it so far, but not too crazy about the 30 minute warm up time (which exists every time the unit is powered on, regardless of the last warm up period).

I've noticed that it likely has more features than I require, but look forward to running some consistency tests with the scale. It should make working up loads a snap, especially considering you can dial in the weight.

Anyone else running one, and how do you like it?

Re: Lyman 1200 DPS 3

That's the one I have. It does its job, and yeah, the 30min boot time sucks.

i like mine. the key to these things is to just leave it on. i only shut mine off when i'll be away from home for a few days. other than that it's been on for 2 1/2 years now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hit cancel and you can bypass the warmup. </div></div>

Yeah, it will throw a goofy charge every once in a while especially if it has been in a cold room. I keep my reloading table in a room inside our barn. Today it was cold as shit and it threw a couple of really heavy ones I had to dump back into the hopper. Warm up sucks!

I leave my Lyman on 24/7. If I need it, I'm ready to go. Just have to recalibrate it. Besides, less chance that dampness will effect the electronics and cause corrosion.

Mine is the first electronic scale I ever own and must say I SUCKS! Maybe it's my lighting or I just got the runt of the batch but i'm regretting that I didn't buy the Charge Master instead. Seems like my biggest problem is when I remove the pan... it'll jump from one number to the next. Don't remember exactly but it sure changes. Plus if i'm wantin to throw say 23.4, I enter 23.3 and some of the time I don't have to dick with it and YES I have the plastic insert inserted. Glad you all enjoy yours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is the first electronic scale I ever own and must say I SUCKS! Maybe it's my lighting or I just got the runt of the batch but i'm regretting that I didn't buy the Charge Master instead. Seems like my biggest problem is when I remove the pan... it'll jump from one number to the next. Don't remember exactly but it sure changes. Plus if i'm wantin to throw say 23.4, I enter 23.3 and some of the time I don't have to dick with it and YES I have the plastic insert inserted. Glad you all enjoy yours. </div></div>
I sold mine as it would throw consistent loads and wouldn't hold zero .I took it to the distributor whom tested it and agreed with my findings -we tried another and it to was regulary irregular!! RCBS is as stable as can be but it did take returning 2 until I got one that worked properly , still I am happy as can be with it

If you have fluorescent lighting or cell phones in the close proximity of any electronic scale, you'll experience fluxuations on zeroing and drop charges. The other thing that helps keep the scale more consistent, is use a static cling sheet(one you throw in the dryer) to wipe down to rid the static electric that will also cause scale to fluxuate.

The Lyman 1200 was the first dispenser and scale I bought. I opened the box and plugged it in and it never powered up. I called Cabellas and they said a batch they got from Lyman had that problem. I ended up going with an RCBS and have been happy since.

Just hit cancel on the warmup. I've had no problems with minr for 1 1/2 years

ive had mine for 2 years and the warmup sucks, and every now and then it will throw a heavy charge, but my loads are consistant ive been happy with it so far.

I've had mine now for going on 3 years.......i've already loaded a few thousand rounds with it as i'm a prairie dog shooter so i keep it busy. I've had 0 problems or complaints with it other than the warmup time which takes far too long.