• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 Garand question!

gprippers

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
OREGON
I picked up a rather large collection of fine firearms that has a couple of containers of "odd ball" rifles and pistols. There is an M1 Garand that is marked "ADI Lithgow, Australia" on receiver as well as the standard markings. Looks to have a Boyds stock on it, SA trigger assembly, BMB bolt, BMB rear site, all other parts are SA. Barrel is from 1955.

Anybody heard off or fired one of these? The parts either look new or are mint conditon. Has an original butt place that looks to have been reparked.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: M1 Garand question!

i had that info and when i called them they said it was this one reciever that was bad. They have upgraded others without issue. This rifle has the upgrades already. All GI parts and a lot of new parts all fit and function well.

Im trying to find out who these guys are and what the deal is on them.

Thanks though

Link hot:

ADI Thread

Generally speaking...the Australian Defense Industries (ADI) receivers are a BAD thing from my experience as I have only seen one rifle built with an ADI that was worth a damn. As I understand it, some of the "early" ADI stuff was decent enough, but as the company got closer and closer to its end, quality went to hell in a handbasket both in terms of being out-of-spec, as well as looking like crap.

However, if you have been in contact with Fulton as you say and they informed you that your rifle/receiver/build was GTG, I wouldn't worry about it. If anyone knows whether a Garand is within specs or not...it would be FA! If you have any concerns remaining, I'd get it looked at by a competent Garand gunsmith. There are plenty of them around...if you want some names/contact info, let us know. Lots of folks here with a lot of Garand experience and know/trust good smiths to inspect and work on them.

They are the receivers the modern Springfield Armory in Illinois(no connection to the "old" Springfield Armory) built it's M1 Garand rifles on. I owned one and it was an excellent shooter. They had recalled some early receivers with bad heat treat on their initial production run but I've not heard of a failure of the ADI receivers in later models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SAI M1 rifles are not CMP as-issued legal rifles. </div></div>

Right you are, they can't be used in CMP JC Garand Matches... but IIRC they can be used in NRA Service Rifle Matches.

Been gone and finally got to check out the input and i appreciate it. I think im going to trade it off as i have two garands already.

What is a fair trade value? serial number is in middle 600's and rifle looks brand new with wood and finish being perfect.

You guys think $750 trade value is fair? Let me know what you guys think as I just dont know what ones worth, but a buddy who is a Garand guy checked it out and he said its all great mil parts.