• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

M14 or 7.62mm twist rate too fast?

Mike_in_FL

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 29, 2008
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Just out of curiosity, does anybody know why the twist is not 1:13 or 14 when M80 is 147 grains? From what I've been able to find, even the M60 and M240 have twist rates more appropriate for heavier projectiles. Did 7.62 ball ammo ever have heavier bullets other than M118?

Re: M14 or 7.62mm twist rate too fast?

Before M80 there was M-59 ball, and lots of other specials. Bullet weight is not the only factor in coming up with a twist rate in Military ammo.

THe standard twist IS 1:12 for the standard barrels as the M-80 ball is 147, the old M59 was 15o and M61 AP is 150gr. Even the M-21 NM barrels were 1:12 with M118 173 gr. Some NM barrels at the AMU were 1:10

Thanks for the replies but my question is still there. If the twist rate selection was based on something beyond bullet weight, what was it? If I was building a .308 rifle today and knew I wasn't shooting anything in it heavier than 150s, I would not use 1:12.

My 700 .308 with this twist shoots 168 SMks very well. Friends who were competitive high power shooters told me if you want to use 190 SMKs in a .308 for 600 yd. prone, you need a 1:10. Another friend had purchased a sporterized Arisaka converted to .30/06. It turned out to have a 1:14 twist barrel and wouldn't shoot anything over 150 grains accuratedly.

I don't know of any examples that can be cited where a US .mil mbr was purposely built with a twist faster than normally recommended. Isn't that opposite of the legendary "tumbling bullet" myth of 5.56mm? That the original 14 twist barely stabilized 55 gr. ball and that was what produced the yaw and fragmentation. They were still pitching that in basic training in the early 80s.

I just can't see the logic of picking mainly 12 as a twist rate for all your 7.62 weapons and then using 147 grain projectiles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies but my question is still there.</div></div> Your question was answered,... A 1/10 twist in a 7.62X51 is required for what Military Bullet? A 1/13 has issues with the old 173's an now the 175's past 700yds.
    Tell ya what, write a how an why and submit it to Aberdeen proving grounds, then keep us up to date.

fngmike
    Bullet stability depends primarily on gyroscopic forces, the spin around the longitudinal axis of the bullet imparted by the twist of the rifling. Once the spinning bullet is pointed in the direction the shooter wants, it tends to travel in a straight line until it is influenced by outside forces such as gravity, wind and impact with the target. Too little twist will not stabilize the bullet, while too much twist (with some exceptions) does little harm. Faster than optimum twists tend to exaggerate errors in bullet concentricity and may cause wobble. The faster twist also causes the bullet to spin at higher rpm, which can cause bullet disintegration because of the high centrifugal forces generated
    One of the first persons to try to develop a formula for calculating the correct rate of twist for firearms, was George Greenhill, a mathematics lecturer at Emanuel College in Cambridge, England. His formula is based on the rule that the twist required in calibers equals 150 divided by the length of the bullet in calibers. This can be simplified to:
    Twist = 150 X D2/L
    Where:
    D = bullet diameter in inches
    L= bullet length in inches
    150 = a constant
    This formula had limitations, but worked well up to about 1,800 f.p.s. For higher velocities most ballistions suggest substituting 180 for 150 in the formula. To see how this works out, assume you bought a .222 Remington rifle and you measured the twist rate as described above. The twist was 1 in 14. You have two .224 bullets you want to use, the 70-grain Speer SPS and the 50-grain Hornady SX. The Speer bullet measures .812 inches in length and the Hornady measures .520 inches. Using the formula above we calculate the following twist rate:
    Speer 70-grain: 1 in 9
    Hornady 50-grain: 1 in 14
    These calculations show that the 50-grain bullet will be stabilized, but the 70-grain won’t. Sure enough, when you try these bullets out, the 50-grain shoots ¾ MOA while the 70-grain won’t group on the paper at 50 yards.
    So twist rate is based on length, not weight. I read this in a book. So do not think too highly of me.
    R/S
    GK

Reactions: mluha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies but my question is still there. If the twist rate selection was based on something beyond bullet weight, what was it? If I was building a .308 rifle today and knew I wasn't shooting anything in it heavier than 150s, I would not use 1:12.

My 700 .308 with this twist shoots 168 SMks very well. Friends who were competitive high power shooters told me if you want to use 190 SMKs in a .308 for 600 yd. prone, you need a 1:10. Another friend had purchased a sporterized Arisaka converted to .30/06. It turned out to have a 1:14 twist barrel and wouldn't shoot anything over 150 grains accuratedly.

I don't know of any examples that can be cited where a US .mil mbr was purposely built with a twist faster than normally recommended. Isn't that opposite of the legendary "tumbling bullet" myth of 5.56mm? That the original 14 twist barely stabilized 55 gr. ball and that was what produced the yaw and fragmentation. They were still pitching that in basic training in the early 80s.

I just can't see the logic of picking mainly 12 as a twist rate for all your 7.62 weapons and then using 147 grain projectiles. </div></div>

Drill Instructors and Basic Rifle Marksmanship instructors are idiots- listening to them and the standard doctrine won't get you anywhere. Yaw and fragmentation are a result of bullet design, weight and composition and the impact of tissue and bone- not how fast it's spinning.

We also run 62gr bullets in a 1:7 twist barrel (M16A2, M4, M4A1)- why when you could push that through 1:8 to 1:10? The likely reason is environmental. That is why when the M16A1 was introduced, they dropped the 1:14 for a 1:12 while still retaining 55gr projectiles. Seems the issue was in Arctic conditions, the 1:14 just wasn't enough to stabilize the bullet. So, the likely answer to your question lies in environmental effects on the flight of a bullet and ensuring there is enough twist to do the job, no matter if it's 20 degrees below zero or 140 degrees above zero.

Also, lets not forget that our weapons firing 7.62mm need to be able to function on 7.62x51mm NATO ammunition- in other words, it's wise to set the weapons systems up to use ANY available ammunition in that caliber because you may not always be shooting US manufacture ammunition (meaning vast variance in projectiles). You generally don't really stand to loose anything by putting on more spin than needed-- however, if you don't have enough spin, you've got problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies but my question is still there.</div></div> Your question was answered,... A 1/10 twist in a 7.62X51 is required for what Military Bullet? A 1/13 has issues with the old 173's an now the 175's past 700yds.
    Tell ya what, write a how an why and submit it to Aberdeen proving grounds, then keep us up to date. </div></div>

Thanks for the friendly and informative answers. You tell me, what Military Bullet? I'd love to know what data you have showing troops expend more M118LR than M80. BTW, it's Aberdeen Proving Ground, I would know I spent several months there. I think they are still working on how bandwidth is lost by application of hot air so I'll submit my research after they clear that up. Great post count though, keep up the good work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ginkus Khan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fngmike
    Bullet stability depends primarily on gyroscopic forces, the spin around the longitudinal axis of the bullet imparted by the twist of the rifling. Once the spinning bullet is pointed in the direction the shooter wants, it tends to travel in a straight line until it is influenced by outside forces such as gravity, wind and impact with the target. Too little twist will not stabilize the bullet, while too much twist (with some exceptions) does little harm. Faster than optimum twists tend to exaggerate errors in bullet concentricity and may cause wobble. The faster twist also causes the bullet to spin at higher rpm, which can cause bullet disintegration because of the high centrifugal forces generated
    One of the first persons to try to develop a formula for calculating the correct rate of twist for firearms, was George Greenhill, a mathematics lecturer at Emanuel College in Cambridge, England. His formula is based on the rule that the twist required in calibers equals 150 divided by the length of the bullet in calibers. This can be simplified to:
    Twist = 150 X D2/L
    Where:
    D = bullet diameter in inches
    L= bullet length in inches
    150 = a constant
    This formula had limitations, but worked well up to about 1,800 f.p.s. For higher velocities most ballistions suggest substituting 180 for 150 in the formula. To see how this works out, assume you bought a .222 Remington rifle and you measured the twist rate as described above. The twist was 1 in 14. You have two .224 bullets you want to use, the 70-grain Speer SPS and the 50-grain Hornady SX. The Speer bullet measures .812 inches in length and the Hornady measures .520 inches. Using the formula above we calculate the following twist rate:
    Speer 70-grain: 1 in 9
    Hornady 50-grain: 1 in 14
    These calculations show that the 50-grain bullet will be stabilized, but the 70-grain won&#146;t. Sure enough, when you try these bullets out, the 50-grain shoots ¾ MOA while the 70-grain won&#146;t group on the paper at 50 yards.
    So twist rate is based on length, not weight. I read this in a book. So do not think too highly of me.
    R/S
    GK</div></div>

Thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies but my question is still there. If the twist rate selection was based on something beyond bullet weight, what was it? If I was building a .308 rifle today and knew I wasn't shooting anything in it heavier than 150s, I would not use 1:12.

I just can't see the logic of picking mainly 12 as a twist rate for all your 7.62 weapons and then using 147 grain projectiles. </div></div>

Drill Instructors and Basic Rifle Marksmanship instructors are idiots- listening to them and the standard doctrine won't get you anywhere. Yaw and fragmentation are a result of bullet design, weight and composition and the impact of tissue and bone- not how fast it's spinning.

We also run 62gr bullets in a 1:7 twist barrel (M16A2, M4, M4A1)- why when you could push that through 1:8 to 1:10? The likely reason is environmental. That is why when the M16A1 was introduced, they dropped the 1:14 for a 1:12 while still retaining 55gr projectiles. Seems the issue was in Arctic conditions, the 1:14 just wasn't enough to stabilize the bullet. So, the likely answer to your question lies in environmental effects on the flight of a bullet and ensuring there is enough twist to do the job, no matter if it's 20 degrees below zero or 140 degrees above zero.

Also, lets not forget that our weapons firing 7.62mm need to be able to function on 7.62x51mm NATO ammunition- in other words, it's wise to set the weapons systems up to use ANY available ammunition in that caliber because you may not always be shooting US manufacture ammunition (meaning vast variance in projectiles). You generally don't really stand to loose anything by putting on more spin than needed-- however, if you don't have enough spin, you've got problems. </div></div>

LOL, yes the average drill instructor that I saw probably wouldn't be coaching the AMU. I didn't consider the temperature part, great point. Still I would think(?) the NATO standard would apply to how the chamber is cut. I believe the German surplus floating around is also 147 grain so if twist is based on length rather than weight, everybody is following standards.

I had just always heard that the heavier the bullet, the faster twist you would want. I was aware that some formula had to be applied because obviously barrel makers offer standard twist rates for a reason. Thanks again!

Ok now I'm confused (not necessarily hard to do) I understood that the twist of a barrel was written 1 in X meaning = 1 revolution per X inches of forward travel.
    There fore 1 in 9 is faster than 1 in 12.
    Do I misunderstand?

You are correct. It's kinda like shotgun gauges, 12 is big 20 is small. Fast is lower, slow is higher (gear ratios too now that I think of it).

IMHO a 10 twisted tube is the 30 cal answer across the board. Twist can also be over ridden by speed.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are correct. It's kinda like shotgun gauges, 12 is big 20 is small. Fast is lower, slow is higher (gear ratios too now that I think of it).

IMHO a 10 twisted tube is the 30 cal answer across the board. Twist can also be over ridden by speed.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>
    I agree that 1-10 simply works best all around

Just reading the thread and thought I'd share this ifno. When I had my M1 and M1A rebarreled with Heavy Kreiger's after I'd accurized them, I used 1:12's. They both shoot the 175's just fine at 600yds. My .308 AR-10 upper from EGW/Sabreco has a 1:12 twist 24" barrel and it stabilizes the 175's out to 1000yds just fine for Palma.

Sorry in advance if I restate anything, I only skimmed this thread and thought it would be fun to reply.
    If you’re reading this and aren’t familiar with twist rate. 1:12 means 1 twist for every 12 inches of linear travel. So 1:6 would be twice the rate being one twist per 6 inches of travel.
    Mike; I think the short answer you are asking for is, yes. There are many more factors that go into picking a twist rate than just bullet weight, chief among them being the length of projectile. Weight is a consideration but it is more a function of length than a factor in the decision.
    For instance a bullet that is .224 inches in diameter that weighs 90g is going to look like a pencil. (1.171 inches long to be pedantic) where as a 90g .308 round is roughly half the length .541 (ish). This tells us that one wouldn’t need to twist the 308 nearly as fast as to stabilize it in the same atmospheric conditions. Furthermore it would probably over stabilize and lose accuracy or worse yet fail jackets, if you tried to spin them at the same rate.
    The next major factor is muzzle velocity. For ease of explanation let’s use the aforementioned .224 and .308 rounds in a 22-250 and a 308 respectively. Let’s also pretend your muzzle velocity (MV) ends up being 2500 FPS out of the 22-250 and 3500 out of the 308. If both twist rates are 1:12 (easy math) the actual speed of the twist would be 162,000 RPM from the 22-250 and 210,000 from the 308. A difference of 48,000 RPM and the only thing we changed was 1000 FPS. In reality the .224 round probably would not stabilize in anything below perfect conditions. The 308 on the other hand would likely over-stabilize.
    Atmospheric conditions are taken into consideration but to the military it’s more of a global average at a passing glance knowing that even at 60 below zero an unstable bullet will still fly through the air and the likelihood of fighting in those condition almost nonexistent baring the invasion of Siberia.
    They do actually have a formula for perfect stability; it’s called the Millar stability value. With perfection being 1.5 it provides a window between 1.3 and 2.0 for precision shooters. (For a deeper explanation of this calculation Google; JBM stability)
    An opinion related note on the old school twist: In my experience fast and ultra-fast twists are products of the new wave of shooting knowledge. I’m sure Mr. Obermeyer could say different but it seems that all twists are following the price of healthcare. So to say that the “standard” is to slow would not surprise me.
    All that said, if you take the m14 DMR with a Creager 1:12. And we use the 168g match king from the LC arsenal at standard atmosphere and a MV of2770 FPS. It works out to be a stability value of 1.72 (remember 1.5 is perfect and 2.0 is permissible for match grade shooting). I know beyond a shadow of a doubt this set up will stabilize all the way to 1000y no sweat, even though you pass the transonic barrier before that. In my humble opinion twisting this particular rifle faster than 1:12 is a waste because fitting bullets longer than the 168 gr rounds into the magazine becomes problematic but I wouldn’t bat an eye at a much faster twist in a weapon that could accept the increased overall length.
    Does that answer your question?

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know why the twist is not 1:13 or 14 when M80 is 147 grains? From what I've been able to find, even the M60 and M240 have twist rates more appropriate for heavier projectiles. Did 7.62 ball ammo ever have heavier bullets other than M118?

A military rifle needs to be able to shoot tracer rounds. The tracers need a faster twists. They are longer, weight alone has nothing to do with the twist needed. That is why the same grain in solid bullets (just like the tracers) need faster rates because the bullets need to be longer to meet the grain. There is no such thing as too much twist with some logical limits obviously. Actually w/o going crazy a bit extra twist is welcome in longer shots and increases the versatility of the firearm.
    We associate twist with grains because normally they go together but in fact the twist is a function of length, speed/length of barrel, type of rifling and bullet construction and not simply grains.

Tracers if I'm not mistaken.

A military rifle needs to be able to shoot tracer rounds. The tracers need a faster twists. They are longer, weight alone has nothing to do with the twist needed. That is why the same grain in solid bullets (just like the tracers) need faster rates because the bullets need to be longer to meet the grain. There is no such thing as too much twist with some logical limits obviously. Actually w/o going crazy a bit extra twist is welcome in longer shots and increases the versatility of the firearm.
    We associate twist with grains because normally they go together but in fact the twist is a function of length, speed/length of barrel, type of rifling and bullet construction and not simply grains.

Correct.

The projo for the M62 7.62mm NATO tracer (at 146-149 grains) is 1.35 inches long while M80 is 1.14" and M118's 173-grain bullet is 1.31".

Last edited:
    Hey, just thought of something to throw into the works.. the gyroscopic effects relative to the caliber of the projectile. A .224 caliber being a distance of only .112" from theoretical centerline to the jacket, and the 7.62 being .154". Seemingly small, but spin it at 200k, and I would theorize that overstabilization and jacket separation would be more likely in the 7.62; while understabilization, yaw, and tumbling be more likely on the 5.56.

Discuss away:...

ignore what is stated here: this guy is completely talking out of his ass.