• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1a reloading with R-15 / 175 smk

1luckeyt/a

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Okinawa
I just picked up a M1A loaded, and Im trying to find out what has worked with this rifle using R-15 and a 175 Smk. I already use this powder/bullet combo in my savage 10, and I have had very good results. My current load for my savage was 43.3 gr 175 smk and CCI BR2 primers. I was going for a m118lr copy. I would like to build a good load for this rifle using the same components if possible just to keep things simple. I will mainly be shooting steel out to about 900 yds, and if I ever go back to FL 1k. Also is the CCI BR2 seated deep ok for the M1a? I have a good supply of those. TIA

Re: M1a reloading with R-15 / 175 smk

I have been trying to get something better than 43.5grains RL-15. The closest thing I've found is 43.7grains varget, 44grains is too hot.

Are there mods done to the EMRs to handle the m118lr? The one I had in country gave me 0 problems on that round, and was very accurate on top of that.

42 grn RL15 with LC brass, 175 SMK to 2.80" for mag length. Shoots better than the standard 168 SMK NM load in my M1A.
Good enough to be in the top 15 at the M1A at Perry in 2010.

BR-2 primers are fine, but it won't shoot any better than Wolf LRP in a M1A but cost half as much as the CCIs. I'd keep the CCIs for the bolt gun. Plus the Wolf is a real thick primer, less worry for slam fires in the M1A. BTW, 43.3 RL15 would be too warm for the M1A.

I just bought the BR2 to try them out against the win LR primers and noticed no difference in my groups. Once I run out of those I will switch back to the win LR primers. 7x57 what kind of muzzle vel. were you getting with 42 gr of r-15?

The military is loading 175gr SMk with 41.7 real close of
IMR-4064, 210M in a military case, did the load and its
shooting 3/4" at a hundred yards. There is a great deal of information on the M-14 Forum.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1luckeyt/a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought the BR2 to try them out against the win LR primers and noticed no difference in my groups. Once I run out of those I will switch back to the win LR primers. 7x57 what kind of muzzle vel. were you getting with 42 gr of r-15?</div></div>

Haven't bothered to chrono it. It shot better than the 168SMK/41.5 grn of IMR 4895 NM load. Zeros to 600 are about the same though.