• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes M1A SCOPE MOUNTS

Re: M1A SCOPE MOUNTS

That said, Sadlak makes a VERY good one. Or you could just snap and get a Troy MCS, which is good too.

Sadlak Ind. Your choice of steel, Alum or Titanium. Alot of receivers are out of spec. for the scope mounting groove. Sadlak has an inspection kit to check your rec. If its out of spec they will machine the mount to fit your rec. A great company to deal with.

Thanks guys,I checked out the sadlak website.Very informative,especially the receiver inspection info.I'm a precision machinist by trade,so I have the ways and means of doing the inspection at work.Really appreciate the help.

Sadlak and good customer service as well. Also makes great spring guides, pistons and tools. He's just up the road from me. I went to visit and was very gracious - gave me a tour of the shop and spent alot of time talking about his products and M14s/M1As. You can't go wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Rifle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GDI </div></div>
Totally agree! The GDI provides more aft mounting area for better eye relief adjustment for some scopes. Especially if you want to put an ACOG on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21 Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Rifle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GDI </div></div>
Totally agree! The GDI provides more aft mounting area for better eye relief adjustment for some scopes. Especially if you want to put an ACOG on it. </div></div>

I'd have to disagree. That is a facsimile of the ARMS Mount with an ACOG adaptor and a little more mounting room. The receiver lug mount on the gruning that makes it ROCK SOLID (It aint moving). I guess if you want a user installed base you could go for a GDI or ARMS. But like it was mentioned earlier the best scope base for an M1A/M14 is an AR-10/M110 SASS/MK11 platform. If you want to make it solid then I think the Gruning is the only way to go. However you will probably be able to get a GDI before a gruning lol

SEI or Sadalak

i ran an SEI for a while but it was very heavy.. but hell a M1a with a MK4 isnt exactly light in the first place

Like I said before. All the ones you have mentioed all maintain the same weakness. It would seem to me that if you want to mount an optic you want it to be solid. You cant get much more solid on an M1A/M14 then having an mount part of the recoil lug can you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.M14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best M14 scope mount is an AR10. </div></div>

Hee! Hee! Hee!

I had a brookfield precision mount back 10 years ago. I still don't see whats the big deal with them other than the US Property marking? From the looks of them, I like the Sadlak. When I get stateside, I'm buying the airborne models for my M1A's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Venham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that thing in its lip a target? </div></div>

Nah... That skinny just took it literally when he was told to put the Copenhagen between his cheek and gum and installed the whole damn tin.
grin.gif

He probably has a buddy with Cope hanging from each ear lobe too. Crew served dippin' at it's finest.

Nothing special about the Brookfield from a technical perspective. The SEI, and Sadlak are improved versions of it. But if you're a collector and/or building an XM25/M25 replica, it's the only one to get...kinda like getting an original Unertl mount for a M40A1 build. The Brookfield is "best" at holding its value.

I just got an Arms #18 what does everyone think of these? I got it for 115 shipped.

I bought the steel Sadlak mount and found out my receiver was out of spec. Mike walked me through the verification process and was willing to mill the receiver true, but I had a second M1A and it was true. Great guy to deal with.

Biggest problem I've seen with mounts is a too-big horizontal lug on the bottom, which does not adequately grip the corresponding groove in the receiver.

That leaves the vertical lug, closer to the axis and MUCH smaller, as the primary part resisting recoil. A side-screw rear mount (as compared to a clip guide that set-screws into the dovetail) has enough slop that it does not resist recoil torque on the mount. That's why so many people have trouble with the Springfield Armory 3rd-Gen scope mounts.

I have a 1980s-vintage of fundamentally the same design that came with my Leatherwood ART-MPC. Its horizontal lug is much narrower, and the rear side-screw is far enough back that you can drill and tap a standard strip clip guide. The rear screw only stabilizes the thing for windage. The vertical lug also has a steel set screw in there, which flattens its sides into the receiver groove and provides, IMO, a much more secure backup to resisting recoil torque. Unlike the SA 3rd-Gen, however, it does NOT have groove on the bottom side to allow use of iron sights. Gotta find a machinist to mill that for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.M14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best M14 scope mount is an AR10. </div></div>

And there goes another cup of coffee...
LMAO!

Jack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megacab</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.M14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best M14 scope mount is an AR10. </div></div>

And there goes another cup of coffee...
LMAO!

Jack

</div></div>

That is pretty funny. but there is just something cool about an M-14/M1a.. And they are fun to shoot with those classic Iron sites.

so what about that ARMS #18 mount.. anyone have bad experinces with them?

I've had a Smith for years and it's never shot loose. That said I shoot my M1A better with iron sights. I can not seen to get a good position behind scope on it.