• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A "scout" parts questions

want2Baccurate

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado, USA
Hi everyone. I have a Polytech m14 sporter that I use for hunting and fun at the range. I have really been wanting to turn it into a "Scout" style rifle (scope with long eye relief mounted on the hand guard).
I don't know much about what the best equipment is to use for this project though so I am turning to you all for help. I am looking for suggestions on a cheek riser, scout rail, and scout scope.
I will be putting the scope in QD rings of some sort, and if possible I would like to find a variable power scope with the largest magnification range possible.
I have a budget of approx. $1200 including the scope, but can shell out a little more if it is really worth it.
Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Re: M1A "scout" parts questions

Scout type rifles generally have low powered optics for quicker target acquisition. Anywhere from 1.25x to 3x at the most.

Ultimak makes the m8 scout rail.
Amega Ranges has several models.
Smith Enterprise makes some extended rails that may serve as "scout" mounts, along with many other accessories.

Leupold makes the FX-II 2.5x28mm IER Scout
Burris makes the Scout Scope 2.75X

I had Springfield Armory Squad rifle with the Leupold FXII 2.5 with Leupold QRW rings and a cheek riser was not necessary. Sadlak Enterpises also has a lot of accessories. I would think you could purchase the scope, mount, and rings for less than $700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tallteeth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scout type rifles generally have low powered optics for quicker target acquisition. Anywhere from 1.25x to 3x at the most.

Ultimak makes the m8 scout rail.
Amega Ranges has several models.
Smith Enterprise makes some extended rails that may serve as "scout" mounts, along with many other accessories.

Leupold makes the FX-II 2.5x28mm IER Scout
Burris makes the Scout Scope 2.75X

I had Springfield Armory Squad rifle with the Leupold FXII 2.5 with Leupold QRW rings and a cheek riser was not necessary. Sadlak Enterpises also has a lot of accessories. I would think you could purchase the scope, mount, and rings for less than $700.

</div></div>
Excellent, thank you very much for the information. I was looking at the Ultimak rail, but couldn't find anything definitive about whether or not it would need a cheek riser. I see that Leupold now makes a 1.5-4x28 VX-II Scout Scope. Do you know whether the VX-II line of scopes are higher quality compared to the FX-II line?

I don't have any vx vs fx knowledge or experience. I'm sure Leupold scopes in this range would be comparable to each other but nowhere near as durable as scopes in the tactical line. I would venture a guess that once you start adding mechanisms to make a scope variable, that it will be inherently less durable than a fixed scope with less parts. You will probably be satisfied with either and have no problems. Post some pics when you're finished.