• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1a socom or converted .308 garand

Duegee krell

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2018
Im wanting a short .308 semi auto. (Iknow some body is gonna say ar variant) for tight woods pig hunting and shooting out of trucks and utvs. Scout scope set up

A freind of mine is letting me test drive his 1944 garand .308 conversion pictured below. and it is .308 chambered and stamped not 7.62 like alot of em. that has a scout scope. That i will upgrade the cheap optic.

Also My local gunshop got in a used socom 16 with a aimpoint this last week. I have a regular m1a. That will be sold or traded. To fund this.

Even though the garand is about the same length as my m1a it handles alot better and is lighter. My m1a is a heavy lr m24 set up.

Which one would you go with the socom or the garand and why.

I figure the socom can handle bigger max loads. I would think the garand may be lighter with the 8 round mags. Not as fucking mind blowingly loud and throwing flames. And probably more accurate but not as handy.

Most of the time i use 155 scenars i have a tonof them and they usually fukin destroy stuff. So thats what im probably gonna use either way. I would think the garand could handle thise as they are not much more than the 147-150 loads.

Attachments

• 50A06C4C-C391-477C-BCBC-816E6E49623F.jpeg
    50A06C4C-C391-477C-BCBC-816E6E49623F.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 424012C1-B602-4FEB-85EC-C43BEC9A48A3.jpeg
    424012C1-B602-4FEB-85EC-C43BEC9A48A3.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 34
I wouldn't run hot loads in either one.
You could change the muzzle device on the Socom.
There are 5 round magazines available, however, en-blocs are cheap.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...r-flush-fit-parkerized-ma5019-706397250195.do

Since the rifle is already converted, I'd give serious consideration to the Garand.
At least you know the receiver is hammer forged, while the M1A is cast.
I would also consider the M1a Scout rifle, instead of the Socom.

Garand. And if it ever suits your fancy you can always send it to Tim Shufflin to convert to a mag fed, either M1A mags or BM59, and could chop it to his 16.25” Mini-G setup also.

Best thing would be a lightweight AR10 or AR15 in say 6.8SPC but if you want a shitty rifle the Socom is the less-shitty option between those two.

Blowing a bunch of money on a Garand conversion is a comedy option.

Any of them will be loud as hell inside a truck.

And yes I know what you mean about the M1A being heavy, mine is in a mcmillan with the leupold m3 scope and it's a fat pig.

I owned a Socom and a Standard.

I think I'd opt for a scout squad at 18" if I were going to M1A again for shorter barrel but common gas parts.

And I'd go for a LRB m25 Receiver with a 1x- something mounted pretty low because objectives are typically no larger than the tube.

SOCOM allows for far more optic choices than a garand, plus can be suppressed easily.

Best thing would be a lightweight AR10 or AR15 in say 6.8SPC but if you want a shitty rifle the Socom is the less-shitty option between those two.

Blowing a bunch of money on a Garand conversion is a comedy option.

Any of them will be loud as hell inside a truck.

And yes I know what you mean about the M1A being heavy, mine is in a mcmillan with the leupold m3 scope and it's a fat pig.

The Garand a shitty rifle?.....your smoking crack!

Reactions: rich56
308 Garand. I used CMP version to take a 160lb hog this year. For the one youre "test driving" I'd add a light synthetic stock and youre even lighter. Accurate, 100% reliable, powerful. You stated the advantages, I agree. I dont think the SOCOM will handle any hotter loads than the Garand. I had a M1A and a 20" barreled 308 Rem 700. I wouldnt go below 20" in that caliber. For now you won't have a problem in "compliant states" with a Garand.