• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1C/Ds (picture)

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
AK NG Sniper School for the Eskimo Scout BNs early to mid 1980s

M1C-D%20Sniper%20School.jpg

Re: M1C/Ds (picture)

Hey Kraig, where is this range? Were these converted to 308 or still a '06?
Thanks.

It was the Machine gun range next to range central on Ft Richardson.

The guns were chambered for '06. Seems at the time I didn't have any problems getting an unlimited supply of M-72.

This was during the Cold War, and the powers to be thought Western Alaska was the prefect spot for Eskimo Snipers. You'd be supprised of the support I got for my sniper programs.

Little did they know the Ammo I sent to the villages were used on seals and walrus'. But hey, practice is preactice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how many C's were there compared to the D's</div></div>

I don't really remember. Some BNs had mostly C's some mostly D's.

I do remember, as far as how well they did, neither was better then the other.

The main problem I encountered was scopes slipping in the ring. A simple fix was to put rosin powder on the rings then tighten them down.

Other then that the rifles were quite effective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The main problem I encountered was scopes slipping in the ring. A simple fix was to put rosin powder on the rings then tighten them down. </div></div>

That brings back a memory. I purchased an M1D from an estate. It was really a parts rifle, nut did have a correct scope. I seem to recall they really tried to get the barrel to match to everything else. But...this big no-no with the rifle...someone has loc-tited the scope into the mount to keep from slipping. My designed "rifle-guy" who was helping me was quite upset with that. Quite.

Your observation kinda makes sense with my experience.

Regards,
Greyson

Hey Kraig,
This morning I got to fondle an unfired complete down to the last part "D", with quite a bit of documentation. What would you expect somehing like that would cost? This particular rifle is for sale and appears to have come from the CMP years ago. The barrel is stamped 52.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Aaron

Aaron,

They were bringing well over $2k, upwards of $5k at one time, depending on conditions, documentation, etc, but the market has corrected a bit (even the C's took a sharp hit). Which scope is on it? the most common is the M84. A few were 1 inch mounts with Weaver K4s. And what maker on the receiver? (yes, all 4 makers were used for Ds...I have 3 of the 4, the hardest of which to get is the IHC...I am missing the HRA, so if its an HRA, PM me. :) )

More info, pics, etc, can get a better estimate on value.

It has an m84 scope and the receiver is Springfield. It is a beautiful gun, almost too much so because I'd wanna shoot it. The owner is figuring out what he wants for it. Ill cross my fingers that it's 2k, that seems like a deal.

He also has some navy .308' that appear unfired and are supposedly original guns. I know next to nothing about these guns, bet do recall reading of some .308's just prior to the m14's arrival.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

if its a CMP papered gun with all the extra goodies, then $2k would be a deal. If its a parts gun, then not so much of a deal as its worth only the value of the sum of the parts.

Yes, the navy did some 308s. Be sure to have a block in them so keep from trying to run a 3006 in it. BBL should be clearly marked as well. A good number of those ended up being trophy rifles for matches such as interservice, etc.

How about a pic of an M1D <span style="font-style: italic"> STILL IN SERVICE</span> as of may of last year. This picture was an AP photo from the riots in Thailand in the early part of 2010.
Thaigarand.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was the Machine gun range next to range central on Ft Richardson.

The guns were chambered for '06. Seems at the time I didn't have any problems getting an unlimited supply of M-72.

This was during the Cold War, and the powers to be thought Western Alaska was the prefect spot for Eskimo Snipers. You'd be supprised of the support I got for my sniper programs.

Little did they know the Ammo I sent to the villages were used on seals and walrus'. But hey, practice is preactice</div></div>

Did these guns still have the original m82 and m84 scopes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did these guns still have the original m82 and m84 scopes?
</div></div>

Yes, mostly M84's.

I thought they were pretty good scopes. Maybe not fancy Mil Dots but they worked much like a Mil Dot meaning if you knew the width of the target you can use the post ridical as a range finder.

An example, The Post is 3 MOA, meaning it covers 3 inches at 100 yards. That makes the post .03 wide. So taking the E-Silhouette (19 inches wide) the post redical of the M-84 will be teh same width as the E-Silhouette target at 633 yards. (19/.03=633.33). If the target is twice as wide as the front post then your 316.5 yards from the target, etc.

You can do this with any sight if you know the width of the target and the size of the sight.

The average iron sight width of the M1 is .076. Therefore its the same width of the above target at 250 yards: 19/.076=250) That's how we did things before Mil Dots and laser range finders.

Just about any M1 is capable of shooting 3 MOA or better. That means the M1 can keep all the shots in the 19 inch E-target up to 633 yards. ( 19/3 X 100 = 633)

Odd: The range of a 3 inch M1 is 633 yards, The post redical of the M-84 on the M1C/D is the same size as the 19 in. E-Target at 633 yards.

Snafu,

Irecently have seen three M1C\Dsvsell at auction. All were CMP papered and if I remember correctly all sold in the mid threes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quarter Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snafu,

Irecently have seen three M1C\Dsvsell at auction. All were CMP papered and if I remember correctly all sold in the mid threes. </div></div>

Were they Cs or Ds?? Major difference there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did these guns still have the original m82 and m84 scopes?
</div></div>

Yes, mostly M84's.

I thought they were pretty good scopes. Maybe not fancy Mil Dots but they worked much like a Mil Dot meaning if you knew the width of the target you can use the post ridical as a range finder.

An example, The Post is 3 MOA, meaning it covers 3 inches at 100 yards. That makes the post .03 wide. So taking the E-Silhouette (19 inches wide) the post redical of the M-84 will be teh same width as the E-Silhouette target at 633 yards. (19/.03=633.33). If the target is twice as wide as the front post then your 316.5 yards from the target, etc.

You can do this with any sight if you know the width of the target and the size of the sight.

The average iron sight width of the M1 is .076. Therefore its the same width of the above target at 250 yards: 19/.076=250) That's how we did things before Mil Dots and laser range finders.

Just about any M1 is capable of shooting 3 MOA or better. That means the M1 can keep all the shots in the 19 inch E-target up to 633 yards. ( 19/3 X 100 = 633)

Odd: The range of a 3 inch M1 is 633 yards, The post redical of the M-84 on the M1C/D is the same size as the 19 in. E-Target at 633 yards.

</div></div>

Thank you, Kraig. Always a good thing to learn more about the practical applications of these older scopes. I used to have an M1D that I built using an original M1D barrel, scope and mount. The purists would turn their noses up at it, but the rifle was physically the same as a CMP one (just a question of who screwed the barrel on and when) as it used all USGI parts except the cheek pad. I sold it a couple of years ago to a friend who owns a jewelry shop. Wish I had it back now...

DSC02201.jpg