• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24-Rebuild anyone recieve one ?

The adjustments on my MK4 scopes are not mushy at all. Audible and precise. Dont know about the M3A though... M3 turrets are quite small, I must agree with that. Not practical with gloves.

- The requirements for the scope on the M24 was to hit a human target at various range. This is not a benchrest rig, no need for 1" repeatable shots. One full MOA and 1/2 MOA is more than enough to hit a torso at 800y.
- It makes sense that it is calibrated for the military issued ammo. Snipers can use machine gun 150gr ball ammo if match ammo is depleted, but will need to adjust to the round
- Scopes can be easily repaired/replaced, and in good supply.

There is no need for 1/4" or even 1/8" clicks with a mil-dot reticle anyway. You evaluate target distance, you dope and holdover/under. Thats it. No need for fancy stuff.

Its easy to figure out why Leupold got the contract. The M3A passed the tests, and was approved. You just hope it will do its job on the field. I dont think the M3A/MK4 was such a disapointment. And I dont think a well trained sniper with a M24 will miss a target because of the scope.

Thloe RO at my range was an actual member of the USAMU, and had a small part in the dev process for the M24. He reports, (and I totally agree) that the scope is the biggest letdown in the whole package. Very coarse, very mushy, inaudible, intactile adjustments. Elev turret calibrated for distance only, using M118LR only, so no definitive adjustments available, since the clicks are a mystery. Even if you figure out the turrets, the adjustments are repeatable (yay), but so coarse (booo), you may not even find a real zero. Who here would accept a scope with only one full MOA clicks as an elevation adjustment, or 1/2 MOA click as windage? You would be laughed off the hide for using this scope, if it wasn't authentic mil issue. Once I got out to longer ranges, I found everything to be a holdover/under, or hold for wind, since the adjustments were so coarse. Fortunately, the collector value will not be affected by fitting a proper scope, so I'm gonna clamp a spare SWFA SS 20X on top, just to see what the gun can really do.

You had me until you said you were going to put a "Super Sniper" scope on... :/

Mesca, the M3A is what is mounted on the example I have access to, and I would characterize the adjustments as the opposite of audible and precise. I totally get the simplicity of the system, and the supply chain considerations to support the system. But? The USMC spec'd a pretty damn nice S&B for the M40, and I imagine their logistical considerations are similar. In comparison, I think the M24 got kinda short changed in the optic department.

Coz, I'm lucky. I get to have some fun with this gun, because the owner lets me shoot this rifle, with the understanding that I not do anything to affect it's obvious collector value. If you want to turn your nose up at an SWFA, fine, but if you have nicer scopes than that laying around as spares, then you don't have enough rifles.

Mesca, the M3A is what is mounted on the example I have access to, and I would characterize the adjustments as the opposite of audible and precise.

I hear you.

I love the SWFA scopes, I have a 10x42 mounted on a Rem 700. It is a very nice scope, but optics clarity is nowhere near my MK4's. But it is rugged and well built. Would I swap a Luppy M3A for a SWFA? I dont think so.. Unless I cant get decent shots with the M3A and can blame poor performance on the optic.

Mesca, the M3A is what is mounted on the example I have access to, and I would characterize the adjustments as the opposite of audible and precise. I totally get the simplicity of the system, and the supply chain considerations to support the system. But? The USMC spec'd a pretty damn nice S&B for the M40, and I imagine their logistical considerations are similar. In comparison, I think the M24 got kinda short changed in the optic department.

Coz, I'm lucky. I get to have some fun with this gun, because the owner lets me shoot this rifle, with the understanding that I not do anything to affect it's obvious collector value. If you want to turn your nose up at an SWFA, fine, but if you have nicer scopes than that laying around as spares, then you don't have enough rifles.

Not sticking my nose up, just poking a little fun that's all. However to say that you wouldn't accept a Leupold but a Super Sniper is ok to see what it can do? Come on man... Really?

Gotta ask the guys that should know. I've completed collecting the pieces parts for my M24R. Here's how my optics case looks right now. What originally went in the empty spot on the lower left of the case??

image_zps0b2f321d.jpg

Gotta ask the guys that should know. I've completed collecting the pieces parts for my M24R. Here's how my optics case looks right now. What originally went in the empty spot on the lower left of the case??

image_zps0b2f321d.jpg

I dont remember ever seeing anything in that space... I thought at first it was the flash hider, but it goes in the rifle case...

Just went through the owner's manual, I dont see any mention of anything going in that space. I might be wrong..

Last edited:
I dont remember ever seeing anything in that space... I thought at first it was the flash hider, but it goes in the rifle case...

Lol I know, the FH fits perfectly but as you said, it's spot is under the rifle. I've got the FH wrapped up and keep it in the space by the forearm so it's not bouncing around and put the ARD and polarizer in the empty space between the bipod and optics case. I'll take a few pics tomorrow and post them.

Makes me think, we need to talk about the polarizer ;). Completely slipped my mind again! Send you a PM tomorrow morning.

As for the day optic case, I've seen many cases with that space not empty, foam still in.

Last edited:
Those red caps go on the laser filter(EMA) not on the ARD portion and will fit in the optics case on the EMA.

As for the empty space, I have seen a white lens brush in there (part of the optics cleaning kit), mine holds the extra dials/cams and inserts for the iron sights nicely(yes I know they go in the d kit).

Keep in mind that the USMC adopted the S&B about 15-20 years after the US Army adopted the M24. At the time, USMC used the Unertl 10x, which used an even more annoying elevation system and didn't have an easy method for adjusting parallax. And the Leupold was definitely an improvement over the optic of the M21.

Not sticking my nose up, just poking a little fun that's all. However to say that you wouldn't accept a Leupold but a Super Sniper is ok to see what it can do? Come on man... Really?

The M3A has great glass, no mistake. It's the turrets/adjustments/reticle that are the letdown. The SWFA 20x has crisp, repeatable .10 mil adjustments, and the extra 10x magnification to make zeroing and paper punching more effective. That's the difference, and I think it gives a better chance to explore the capabilities of the gun itself. That's why I'm trying it, not because I think it is the end all scope, it's just better than the M3A for going to the range, and I had one laying around.

It is not the 700P. There have been rifle only M24's sold on gunbroker recently. They had nothing other than the M24 barreled action and stock and we're just under $4k. To my knowledge the 700P has never had the straight taper 11.25 twist barrel, just the sendero contour 12 twist.

I know its not the 700P. I'm just saying maybe the M24 rifle only package is available to the general public just as the 700P is. I mean, you dont any specific permit to buy a 700P even if its in the 'Law Enforcement' series.

Ok, got ya :). You are correct, there is nothing special. I have no idea what it takes but I am sure it can be done. You would just have to find a distributor that will order it for you and you would have to pony up quite a bit of dough.

I know Scott Powers over at SniperCounrty will sell you the bare M24 in what ever config you want or complete SWS, it's a matter of how much you're willing to spend as mentioned already.

I am going to partially disagree with that sentiment. The M24 is a very sexy rifle but I am becoming partial to my M40A3 and the A1 is a good looking rig as well.

I am considering one of these. I want it for the history, but it would be a shooter. I'd like to get some long range shooting instruction once I get out of the military and am hoping this rifle would be a good and fun start. I have never fired farther than 500 yards in Competition and that was service rifle.

I was surprised at how easy it was to shoot. Just some very basic instruction (from a good teacher) and I was able to make hits out to 750 the second time I fired it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

A friend submitted his application a few months ago and has heard nothing but crickets so far.

I am certain all the rebuilds are shipping in the Hardigg system case as that case is what they were issued with...

That is my understanding as well.

When the rebuild program started, I heard (dont quote me for that), that some cases were missing some foam and so beat up that they would ship in the Pelican cases.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hardigg was bought by Pelican. The new Pelican 472-M24 case doesnt seem to have a NSN attached to it... So what do you ship a new or rebuilt M24 in? Old case in inventory or a new Pelican case?

Pelican-Hardigg 472-M24

Remington still has the coffins in stock, friend of mine bought a new one last year, no reason they would use the pelican if they have Hardiggs.

Bumping this poor thread to see if anyone else has seen any more kits hit the street.......... I'm almost considering selling my kit, I am on the fence though. I've invested a bunch more into it collecting up all the odds & ends to make it complete. Maybe I'll add everything up, see how far in the hole I am and make an ad in the sale section.

Hi all, I'm from Italy, I've a question for you, please.
I've found a brand-new M24 bought in Italy in 1990 (when it was possible to sell them to civilians), actual owner told me he never used it (it seems to be really new, stock, painting and bolt are perfect), but I noticed that lands are very sloped (I think it's normal for polygonal profile) and land-to-land dia is over 7.625 mm (about 7.63 mm), while for example in my TRG22 dia is less than 7.620 mm (about 7.615). Is it normal?
Other question: on your refurbished barrel marked cal. is 7.62x51 or 308 Win.?
Thank you very much

Barrel bore from land-to-land is suppose to be dead-on at .300 (7.62mm). Good quality barrels are bore (should be) with a tolerance of +- 0.0001". Measurements from groove-to-groove (.308) can vary though, depending on the type of rifling.

Barrel should be stamped "7.62 NATO".

Thank you, these info are very important for me, maybe it has been used more that the owner told me...
But...are they technical specs or did you measure your bore?
In Italy you may find very few m24 rifles and prices are much higher than refurbished ones in USA (more than 5k$ rifle only), so I'd like to find a perfect one...

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm from Italy, I've a question for you, please.
I've found a brand-new M24 bought in Italy in 1990 (when it was possible to sell them to civilians), actual owner told me he never used it (it seems to be really new, stock, painting and bolt are perfect), but I noticed that lands are very sloped (I think it's normal for polygonal profile) and land-to-land dia is over 7.625 mm (about 7.63 mm), while for example in my TRG22 dia is less than 7.620 mm (about 7.615). Is it normal?
Other question: on your refurbished barrel marked cal. is 7.62x51 or 308 Win.?
Thank you very much

I wouldn't be worried over .005 mm who knows how good the accuracy of the measuring device is! If it's not worn, buy it. Guns are made to shoot.

Unofrtunately it's not .005, it's almost .015 over nominal dia.
Maybe you're right when you speak about the accuracy of the gauge, but with other 7.62 rifles it measures less than 7.62mm, this M24 has the same land-to-land dia of my mosin nagant sniper!!!
I won't buy a not perfect rifle for 5000$!!!
THESE guns are made to shoot...with the best accuracy!

Last edited:
Unofrtunately it's not .005, it's almost .015 over nominal dia.
Maybe you're right when you speak about the accuracy of the gauge, but with other 7.62 rifles it measures less than 7.62mm, this M24 has the same land-to-land dia of my mosin nagant sniper!!!
I won't buy a not perfect rifle for 5000$!!!
THESE guns are made to shoot...with the best accuracy!

Have you tried the bullet swallow test?

Update: after hearing nothing for months my friend just got a phonecall from the FFL that a big box just arrived for him.

It isn't so bad! land to land dia is about 7.63, so it's impossible it can swallow a bullet with dia .308... My problem is that with other rifles in .308 (with a lot of rounds), dia is less than 7.62mm...

Nobody has a gauge for measuring in the muzzle his brand new M24 barrel, really ???

Anyone have any idea how much longer this may go on? I believe they are on Category 3 already.

I could gage it, bit what would be the point. It has a new barrel and shoots 1/2" groups. Whatever it measures is apparently working. I think they are slowing down or out of them at the moment. I have not heard from anyone who received one in a couple of months.