• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24/ Rem varmint barrel pics please

athanasios23

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2009
New York, USA
Im trying to put a build together and undecided on my barrel contour. Thinking either rem varmint or M24 contour. The gun will be used for the range and hunting. If anyone has a pic of a finished rifle with either barrel and weight of rifle it will be a big help.

Thanks
Tommy

Last edited:
If you're using it for hunting, go with the Rem Varmint. I own both and the M24 is a heavy pig to be walking around mountains with. I have, however, hunted and competed with my Rem Varmint contour.

My rem varmint barrel, probably about 11lbs. light compared to my 6 Creed which has a heavy varmint contour. That weighs about 16lbs. The heavy varmint contour is very much similar to the M24.
TSudSm6.jpg

ydz4RbP.jpg

Rem Varmint at the heaviest if you plan on lugging it. I have a 22" M40 and it is a heavy bastard. I have lugged it places, but if I go hunting, it is the last one I grab for.

There are a few other things you need to consider other than just barrel contour. Barrel length, scopes, stocks and bottom metals/mags all make a big difference in the overall weight of a rifle and its handiness. Both of the rifles pictured below have Remington varmint contours but the one in the second picture is the one that I hunt with. I am not sure on the weight of each of the rifles but the one in the first picture easily feels like it weighs twice as much.

260.jpg308.jpg

edit: You have to click on the pics to blow them up. Ever since the forum software changed, my pics have done this. I don't know how to change them to just show up the normal size, if anyone (like the guys in this thread with normal looking pics) could tell me how I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Here is my Rem 700 SPSVarmint in 308. The rifle overall is a heavy baby at 16 with an empty mag, and I don't hunt with it.

wobs.jpg

Here is a side by side.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 67
You must be in pretty good shape for wanting to hunt with a 700 Varmint. Offhand and standing supported on an animal after luggin it around calls for good cardio.
But you asked for photos-

For hunting the heaviest I would go would be a Rem Varmint with HEAVY fluting.
If I were to drag it around the mountains all day, the contour would be even lighter.